Scottish Distillery exhibition layout in the 60s/70s

Hi everyone, this is my DCC Scottish distillery exchange sidings near micro layout. I have been working on this layout for about a month now and have been building it in the micro layout section of this forum. Recently I measured it and it is actually too big for the micro layout section so I thought I should start up the thread in the main layout section. If you want to see the build from start to now here is a link to the previous thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134915-distillery-yard-unnamed-so-far-micro-layout/page-1. The layout is oo gauge code 75 electrofrog using the Bachmann ez dcc system. It is set in the speyside area in north east Scotland during the 60s/70s. The loco fleet is mostly class 20s with a class 25 and a j94 as the current distillery Shunter. So far the track has been layed, wired and tested. Point control is through the wire and tube method. A ply wood box has also been built round the layout with an internal lighting rig. The landscaping has begun with some cardboard shapers glued into place. I hope to exhibit this layout in the near future(end of this year and next year) if I can get any exhibitions. Anyway, here are some pictures of the layout at the moment. post-32204-0-52249800-1531907824_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-94437900-1531907844_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-59334200-1531907861_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-76619000-1531907877_thumb.jpg Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 5

I forgot to mention here is a link to my youtube video of the layout. It was filmed last week so some things have changed to the layout but most things are the same. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_xIkx9vHfo I try to update the channel every so often but I am more committed to rmweb as its faster and easier to upload stuff on here.

Taking shape nicely Luke.

Unless its for a specific competition I wouldn't lose sleep over the "micro layout" definition. My layout "Talywain" is 5ft x 1ft but its still a "micro" as far as I'm concerned (mainly because it is the smallest layout I have completed) and has been called the same by others, even though it falls outside the "official" parameters.

Will follow this new thread to keep up with developments.

Martyn.

Taking shape nicely Luke.

Unless its for a specific competition I wouldn't lose sleep over the "micro layout" definition. My layout "Talywain" is 5ft x 1ft but its still a "micro" as far as I'm concerned (mainly because it is the smallest layout I have completed) and has been called the same by others, even though it falls outside the "official" parameters.

Will follow this new thread to keep up with developments.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn, I only build small layouts (with my smallest being a 6 inch square micro) so its nice to build something slightly larger than a technical micro layout. It is such a small difference that most people won't be able to notice it but I dont know how keen an exhibition manager is having a micro layout compared to a normal layout so I decided that it would just be a layout in the hope of attracting more exhibitions.
  • Like 1

Today I have weathered the track. I airbrushed it with a thinned down Humbrol 98 but I may give it a second coat to deepen the colour. Here is a picture of it.post-32204-0-33096800-1532005698_thumb.jpg It's quite a simple job but it transforms the look of the track work. I decided not to ballast yet as the ballast on those areas was very dark and the colour of weathering would interfere with the colour of the ballast.

• Like 4