Colas 37421

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’ve noticed that 37421 seems to be permanently attached to one of Network Rail’s set of measurement trains. Is the loco used exclusively by Colas on these trains because of its ETH capability or is it used on other trains when not required?

If it runs with a permanent set, does anyone know the coaching stock numbers as I’d possibly like to model it.

I don’t believe the Network rail monitoring trains need ETH as they have generator vans included. What they do need are low RA locos and class 37s are still the loco of choice.

Generally, COLAS only use their 37 fleet on these trains, I think they have around 12 locos to choose from

Very occasionally, their 37s do get used on other workings such as ballast or rail tours.

• RMweb Gold

last week there was a Colas 37 running around south wales valley on its own with some equipment attached to one of its noses

The device attached to the front of the loco I believe is a forward facing video camera and films the track ahead.

I’ve noticed that 37421 seems to be permanently attached to one of Network Rail’s set of measurement trains. Is the loco used exclusively by Colas on these trains because of its ETH capability or is it used on other trains when not required?

If it runs with a permanent set, does anyone know the coaching stock numbers as I’d possibly like to model it.

Class 37 ETH index is really low, so is only capable of heating about 5 coaches, so of limited use with the measurement train. They were deliberately specified as a low index to prevent them being used on anything other than short provincial trains.