New Black Dwarf Lightmoor Titles

81A Oldoak

These three new titles published by Black Dwarf Lightmoor Publications Ltd arrived today. I am always on the lookout for new titles and photos of Welsh railways and none of these disappoints.

Ifor Higgon's Cambrian Diary contains lots of photos of The Cambrian that I have not seen before. The star photo for me is of ex-MR/LMSR Johnson 2P 4-4-0 40377 at Barmouth Junction in 1955 standing in for a failed ex-GWR 2251 0-6-0.

The Supplement to Neil Parkhouse's excellent Volume 1: West Gloucester and Wye Valley lines is superb. There is extensive coverage of Grange Court Junction and the line therefrom to Hereford. Again, all new photos and some interesting shots of Hereford, which has always seemed to me to be a rather under-photographed location.

The Shrewsbury & Welshpool Railway by Bob Yate contains good coverage of the Cambrian's line between those two locations. There is good coverage of the Minsterley branch and a superb photo of a Dean Goods with a pick-up goods train comprising two vans, a 5-plank open and TOAD brakevan; it's a perfect 0 gauge train.

All money well spent. My only connection with Black Dwarf Lightmoor is as a very satisfied, regular customer.

post-13142-0-22036400-1531916110_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

BDL have issued an updated/2nd edition of West Gloucester & Wye Valley, with the Supplement available for those who already have the earlier edition.

From the BDL website:

"The first volume of author Neil Parkhouse’s ground breaking series of colour books looking in detail at the railways of Gloucestershire – the stations, signal boxes, goods yards, engine sheds, docks, mines and industry, as well as the locomotives and trains – has now sold out two print runs. As a consequence, it was felt that the time was now right for an enlarged and revised second edition, featuring many of the new pictures which have turned up since it first came out. However, in fairness to those who already have the original edition, it was decided to issue the 48 extra pages as a supplement, which will also serve as a taster for those who have yet to experience the series. There are some gems here too: a stunning 1950s scene at Brockweir, some magnificent new views of the Hereford, Ross & Gloucester line, more coverage of Oakle Street, a picture of Tutshill Halt, trains crossing at Newent and, perhaps most surprising of all, a ‘Jubilee’ at Mitcheldean Road!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered a copy of the Volume 1 Supplement from Lightmoor at 12.06 yesterday (that is the time the payment was processed) and it arrived in today's post about 20 minutes ago.  Excellent service and as is usual with Lightmoor excellently packed to fully preserve the contents from the ravages of Royal Mail although it fortunately fitted through our letterbox without being bent.

I always try to buy Black Dwarf/Lightmoor books directly from them - either at shows or online and by post and cannot recommend highly enough dealing with them direct.  Amusing too to see a Silver Jubilee stamp used on the package  :O 

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have thoroughly enjoyed Ivor Higgon’s Cambrian Diary with its 87 photographs, 38 are pre-nationalisation. 35 are whole page and 3 are across 2 pages.

This photographic tribute covers the ex-Cambrian Railways lines and those that adjoined. The adjoining lines are Ruabon to Dolgelley, Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog, Aberystwyth to Carmarthen, Shropshire and Montgomery, Bishop’s Castle and the narrow gauge lines of Corris, Talyllyn, Welsh Highland, Padarn and Penrhyn Quarry railways.

There is an excellent 5 page introduction about Ivor Higgon and his railway photography and what follows is a feast of superb images. A few are soft but considering their vintage and historical worth I find this acceptable. Each photograph has an extensive caption and the vast majority are accurate. What errors there are, are few and far between. On page 4 the ‘Dukes’ are credited as a stop gap measure in 1936 whereas they were introduced in 1922. There is some confusion over which parts were used from ‘Dukes’ in the ‘Dukedogs’; page 4 states parts and page 10 says cabs. Page 46 refers to 2492, a typographic error, and should be 2452. The tank wagons on pages 55 and 60 are not milk tank wagons but petroleum wagons. It is worth restating that the vast majority of captions are accurate and informative.

This is one of the best ten pounds I have spent on a railway book in recent years. For those interested in the lines of the ex-Cambrian Railways and adjacent lines this is a must have. Can I have some more please!

Edited by tanatvalley
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Very much enjoyed the Ifor Higgin's Cambrian Diaries (primarily for the 3 photos of the Bala-Blaenau Branch I'd not seen).

A title worth people keeping an eye out for (due at the end of the year) is a new book on the Bala-Blaenau Ffestiniog Branch by Martin Willams and Derek Lowe. If it's anything like Martin's previous book on Ruarbon to Barmouth (also by Black Dwarf Lightmoor Publications).....it's going to be a superb book!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to the Southwold Railway book, Peter Paye is a reliable writer [eg Wisbech & Upwell Tramway], there are only 2 previous books on the Southwold, dating back 30+ years, and $25 is reasonable, looks good.

Does it cover the preservation era & have updated stock drawings from the previous versions?

Dava

Looking forward to the Southwold Railway book, Peter Paye is a reliable writer [eg Wisbech & Upwell Tramway], there are only 2 previous books on the Southwold, dating back 30+ years, and $25 is reasonable, looks good.

Does it cover the preservation era & have updated stock drawings from the previous versions?

Dava

There have been two more books, making four to date. They are Memories of the Southwold Railway by local man A Barrett Jenkins and The Southwold Railway Children, an anthology published by the then Southwold Railway Society (now Trust).

And with another shortly to be published, based on the recollections and research of local man David Lee and the late Alan Taylor, who co-authored the second book, collated by Rob Shorland-Ball who recently published a book about Cambridge Station: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southwold-Railway-1879-1929-Suffolk-Railways/dp/1473867584

As to content I would not like to commit until I have a copy, but Peter Paye's usual format includes stock diagrams or drawings. There is not really any preservation story to tell, all of which is already covered in the Southwold Railway Trust's quarterly newsletter and the website: https://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/

Books for Warley include:-

Stratford and Midland Junction Railway Vol 2

Pre Grouping railway Liveries Vol 2

British Narrow Gauge 1950s and 1960s in colour

British Ferries and Pleasure Steamers

The Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog book will be in 2019.

• RMweb Premium

There have been two more books, making four to date. They are Memories of the Southwold Railway by local man A Barrett Jenkins and The Southwold Railway Children, an anthology published by the then Southwold Railway Society (now Trust).

And with another shortly to be published, based on the recollections and research of local man David Lee and the late Alan Taylor, who co-authored the second book, collated by Rob Shorland-Ball who recently published a book about Cambridge Station: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southwold-Railway-1879-1929-Suffolk-Railways/dp/1473867584

As to content I would not like to commit until I have a copy, but Peter Paye's usual format includes stock diagrams or drawings. There is not really any preservation story to tell, all of which is already covered in the Southwold Railway Trust's quarterly newsletter and the website: https://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/

Thanks. Also the Model Railway Constructor had a series of articles with drawings on the line published in 1980, I have some but not all of these.

Dava

Books for Warley include:-

Stratford and Midland Junction Railway Vol 2

Pre Grouping railway Liveries Vol 2

British Narrow Gauge 1950s and 1960s in colour

British Ferries and Pleasure Steamers

The Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog book will be in 2019.

Which companies/areas will vol 2 of the pre-Grouping Liveries cover?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. Also the Model Railway Constructor had a series of articles with drawings on the line published in 1980, I have some but not all of these.

Dava

I picked up my copy today from Bob Pearman Books at the East Anglian GOG Gathering in Bury St Edmunds.

It is as expected from Peter Paye a comprehensive description of the line in his usual format. There are plenty of previously unseen photographs included but drawings of the locomotives and rolling stock are those originally produced by Douglas Clayton, first published in Railway Modeller and also included in the Taylor and Tonks book, so nothing new there. The other drawings are taken from the GER survey and were previously reproduced in Middleton Press' 'Branch Line to Southwold'.

With another book due around the New Year, written by Robert Shorland Ball from the recollections of David Lee and Alan Taylor, its possible that the alternative drawings produced from surveys by AD (David) Negus, published in MRC, might be reserved for that. These were published in MRC during 1979 and I have copies of all of these, although the printed reproduction of some are very feint. The Sharp Stewart locomotive No. 1 drawing was originally published in MRN November 1963.

And at last this has appeared!!!!  Santa will be duly informed.

http://lightmoor.co.uk/view-book.php?ref=L8375&section=CatNew

Purchased a copy at the Lydney Model Railway Show. Neil Parkhouse told me it took the author 20 years to produce the book. It is now on loan to my Mother In Law who’s father was a Colliery Manager/ Agent at 4 collieries, the last being Ynysarwed in the Vale of Neath.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Purchased a copy at the Lydney Model Railway Show. Neil Parkhouse told me it took the author 20 years to produce the book. It is now on loan to my Mother In Law who’s father was a Colliery Manager/ Agent at 4 collieries, the last being Ynysarwed in the Vale of Neath.

I know that Tony Cooke has been working on it for a very long time and some of his research started even earlier than that as he was delving out stuff about colliery siding connections when I knew him through work back in the early 1990s.  Neil Parkhouse was probably getting totally fed up with me asking him every year at the Warley show when the book would be published!

According to their advert in Steam World, Volume 2 of the Liveries of the Pre Grouping Railways will be the East of England and Scotland.

The Chard Branch will now be issued in 2019, but good news for waiting for the Bala to Festiniog book as this appears to be issued before the end of 2018.

Additional book is on the Colonel Stephens Railcars.

Check their web site for updates.

• 1 month later...

Both Bala and SMJR V2 titles are now in stock (at Ian Allan Birmingham).

I succumbed to the latter which is a weighty tome. Initial view is that it appears very comprehensive from 1908 through to today, but my volume is now in hibernation until Xmas!

(This shop also has a new array of discounted Bachmann locos, new Ivatt Class 2 tanks and more 1F’s - good bargains for the Christmas shopper which don’t feature in the Hattons sale!)

Neal

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2019 at 16:19, Fenway Park said:

Severn and Wye Railway Volume 5 “ Lydney Docks” will be published later this year by Lightmoor Press. Should be a great Volume.

Is this the next volume in the series hitherto produced by Wild Swan?

• Like 1