2 wires? - your 'avin a larff.

At the risk of entering a war zone, what do you perceive as ‘significant advantages ‘?

Simpler wiring. May not be just 2 wires, but no need for circuit or isolation switches.

No restriction as to where the locos/train needs to stop

Being able to leave lights on with the loco/train stationary.

Controllable sound & smoke/steam.

• RMweb Gold

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !         :mosking: 

Sorrry..... nodded off!

This will   cause a war  jog memories.............

Original DC

post-17779-0-40896600-1537359604_thumb.jpg

You may still be a user.............. :mosking:

Then by the 1970`s proper decent DC controllers came and went

post-17779-0-19801000-1537359782_thumb.jpg

The Compspeed Rambler Minor being the very best....

All these to get really decent realistic control of loco`s on a simple layout.....

post-17779-0-96261400-1537359962_thumb.jpg

Then came Two Wires..........

post-17779-0-27160300-1537359999_thumb.jpg

...and One Controller.....

post-17779-0-06821900-1537360011_thumb.jpg

...simplified wiring........

post-17779-0-63051700-1537359987_thumb.jpg

and then dreamworld....... !!!!     :mosking:

Try that with DC...... :blind:

just `avin  a larf !!!

johnny

• Like 1

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! :mosking:

Sorrry..... nodded off!

This will cause a war jog memories.............

Original DC

s-l1600.jpg

You may still be a user.............. :mosking:

Then by the 1970`s proper decent DC controllers came and went

DSC01731.JPG

The Compspeed Rambler Minor being the very best....

All these to get really decent realistic control of loco`s on a simple layout.....

DSC02300.JPG

Then came Two Wires..........

DSC04480.JPG

...and One Controller.....

DSC04482.JPG

...simplified wiring........

DSC02408.JPG

and then dreamworld....... !!!! :mosking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoG48OVyTqM

Try that with DC...... :blind:

just `avin a larf !!!

johnny

I only ever had (and still have) 2 Clippers, but as far as I recall they still had only 2 wires coming out of the back......
  • Like 1

At the risk of entering a war zone, what do you perceive as ‘significant advantages ‘?

The primary advantage , is the ability to drive any loco anyway exactly like the prototype , multiple locos on a single track etc

Secondary advantages are sound , light control

Tertiary advantages , constant track voltage , easy track occupancy detection , frog juicers

I make no mention deliberately of wires !

Regards

Dave

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tertiary advantages , constant track voltage , 

I'm not disagreeing with you but I really do find the constant track voltage a BIG plus!

Having upwards of 20v available means even my smallest locos can usually make an imperceptible crawl across complex trackwork, not to mention that decent decoders provide this voltage in tiny 'kicks' to the motor so it will keep on turning even if the mechanism has very small sticky points.

Try doing that on analogue using about ½ to 1½ volts.

Analogue is still fine for larger layouts where trains don't run so slowly but if you want super-fine control, I find digital is best.

• RMweb Gold

The primary advantage , is the ability to drive any loco anyway exactly like the prototype , multiple locos on a single track etc

Secondary advantages are sound , light control

Tertiary advantages , constant track voltage , easy track occupancy detection , frog juicers

I make no mention deliberately of wires !

Regards

Dave

+ Auto-reversers. No need to stop in a reversing loop to change polarity. Just drive in, all the way round and out again non-stop.

A bridge rectifier feeding power to the reversing section ensures that DC power is provided with a single polarity regardless of the controller's reverse setting. Once the train is fully within the reversing section the reverse switch is thrown and the train continues in the same direction and exits the reverse section travelling in the opposite direction.

DC reversing sections are uni-directional when wired this way.

• RMweb Gold

A bridge rectifier feeding power to the reversing section ensures that DC power is provided with a single polarity regardless of the controller's reverse setting. Once the train is fully within the reversing section the reverse switch is thrown and the train continues in the same direction and exits the reverse section travelling in the opposite direction.

DC reversing sections are uni-directional when wired this way.

For this DC solution, the section or sections of track adjoining the reversing section have their polarity changed while the train is in the loop. That means that there are potential polarity clashes where those sections join the rest of the layout and so you either have to stop the loco before leaving those sections too (in other words the problem has been pushed elsewhere), or switch the polarity of the entire layout, which could have consequences elsewhere.

(I imagine that a big capacitor is also needed across the bridge rectifier output to keep the loco running while the reversing switch is changing over and momentarily not supplying power?)

So I maintain that a DCC auto-reverser is a more elegant solution, fixing the problem locally where it occurs, and is thus worthy of addition to JunctionMad's list.

You use a DCC autoreverser for DCC, and a bridge rectifier for DC - they are not interchangeable.

I think the point being made, is that you have to reverse the polarity of the exit section as the train is in the loop in the DC bridge rectifier scenario , this then merely kicks the can to the next section ,it doesnt really solve the issue of stopping or not stopping the train 

Not to mention the speed change as you subject it to two diode drops !

I think its safe to say , that for new layouts , aside from the cost of loco conversion ( which I accept varies greatly depending on stock ) , there is no reason , other then inertia or lack of understanding , to not go DCC in all cases . The benefits are myriad and the drawbacks are few 

PS I still have my 1971 H&M Duette !!!

Edited by Junctionmad

I was at an exhibition this weekend and the only layouts that were running without obvious fault were DCC, all the DC layouts had people pouring over very complex control panels trying to resolve issues - admittedly I was there half an hour after opening, but I did feel sorry for the DC brigade however I did see some very impressive multimeters :)

Separately I had several non-railway friends around yesterday to see the layout and they were all amazed at how simple DCC is, they all believed that it was very complex and very expensive, they quickly realised that they were completely wrong in the misinformed view that they had been provided by the self styled ‘experts’ that they had spoken to previously.

Edited by WIMorrison
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was at an exhibition this weekend and the only layouts that were running without obvious fault were DCC, all the DC layouts had people pouring over very complex control panels trying to resolve issues - admittedly I was there half an hour after opening, but I did feel sorry for the DC brigade however I did see some very impressive multimeters :)

Separately I had several non-railway friends around yesterday to see the layout and they were all amazed at how simple DCC is, they all believed that it was very complex and very expensive, they quickly realised that they were completely wrong in the misinformed view that they had been provided by the self styled ‘experts’ that they had spoken to previously.

Earlier on this year I was helping my mate with his DC layout, not one electrical fault all weekend. The very very noisy DCC layout nearby kept going quiet all of a sudden, at least once every hour while the next problem was sorted. Lots of blokes standing with their hand sets waving around and nothing happening.

Poor wiring, design and unnecessary complication are symptoms of over ambitious modellers, both DC and DCC.  Lack of operator training, and lack of testing before a show are also problems equally applicable to DCC and DC layouts.

Boy was it lovely when that noisy layout hit its next fault.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

Great thing about internet forums is that immediately you say anything about anything somebody will come up with the exactly the opposite view that justifies their opposing mantra.

What I do know is that among my modelling friends there are several who were sworn DC addicts until they started investigating and assessing DCC properly after which they left quickly DC to adopt DCC because of the simplicity and felicity that it offers. None of them would considering using DC now.

• RMweb Premium

Great thing about internet forums is that immediately you say anything about anything somebody will come up with the exactly the opposite view that justifies their opposing mantra.

What I do know is that among my modelling friends there are several who were sworn DC addicts until they started investigating and assessing DCC properly after which they left quickly DC to adopt DCC because of the simplicity and felicity that it offers. None of them would considering using DC now.

Good for them.

Having operated both DC and DCC , well designed layouts and poorly designed layouts I have both enjoyed and not enjoyed operating.

post-16423-0-63840100-1539589788_thumb.jpg

Two trains arriving simultaneously and all other trains and locos parked where they should be operationally. DC. 

• Like 1

Reliability seems to be more about the modeller than the type of control system.

I adopted DCC about 10 years ago & soon started to use big bus wires with droppers to every rail & powering all point frogs from microswitches. There is nothing DCC specific about any of these.

I still enjoy wiring a layout for DC & a few years later, I wired up a friend's exhibition layout. I used section switches instead of bus wires, but otherwise used the same techniques, showing a lack of trust for point blades or rail joiners to carry current.

The layout has done at least 10 shows now & I go to most mainly because I like to but also in case something goes wrong. I have not seen the first fault yet.

This has turned what can sometimes be a slightly stressful experience into a very enjoyable day out.

Can we draw any conclusions from this? Probably not, but possibly.

I do have a habit of looking at wiring & control panels. Some of them look a bit rough in this department, most of which seem to be DC. Could it be that DCC users are a bit more experienced with wiring.

I often see the question on here & get asked at shows "How should I wire an Electrofrog point for DCC?", but never "How should I wire an Electrofrog point properly?" even though this is what they are really asking.

The bottom line is that is you don't wire cautiously, you will be likely to have problems regardless of how the layout is powered & if you wire it well, you should not be bugged with issues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No DCC has more toy like gimmicks that can go wrong. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/178-dcc-help-questions/

Compared to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/63-electrics-non-dcc/

Science is evidence based. 

Non scientific, my DC trains fall off the rails equally as well as DCC trains.

That's just down to poor track laying Clive. Nothing to do with DC or DCC.