If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Afternoon all

TechnicArrow

Hello! I've had an account and been lurking here for some months, but I seem to have missed posting here.

I'm a (nearly) 19-year old student, currently at home after passing my first year of Civil Engineering at Uni.

My dad got me into model railways about 10 year ago, with the traditional circle of track on the table. That soon expanded to a permanent layout, set on the old kitchen units and bay windowsill of the dining room. It's nearly finished (if it ever can be!). I should probably post it here, but it's not particularly good modelling (all learnt as I went along, with some 'interesting' decisions made).

More recently, we started a side project nicknamed "Cliff"; an arduino-controlled freelance funicular railway. It has been exhibited once, where it ran perfectly; as soon as we got it home it broke down, and wasn't really repaired as I went off to Uni. I am intending on sharing this one at some point, but it's difficult to photograph. (On that note, can pictures be directly uploaded to this forum, or should they be hosted elsewhere and embedded?)

On these boards I'm mainly lurking in the Boxfiles & Micro layouts threads, because as a student that's what my first attempt at a layout on my own will probably be. I've already planned some ideas. Overall, I look forward to being a little more involved here.

Hi TechnicArrow

Welcome!

Sounds like a familiar route into modelling. Don't worry about your skills not being up to some of the (very) high standards that can be seen on some layouts on here - we all started somewhere and it's having a go and learning from mistakes that makes us better.

Re direct photo upload - yes you can. I don't use a hosting site. Click on "reply with attachments" then "choose file" and just search your computer for the photo. 

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both. 

As a test of picture uploading, here's "Cliff".

attachicon.gifDetail photos - in the garden (1).JPG

That seems to work. It took a little while to upload though; perhaps I should reduce future pictures before uploading. Does anyone have a recommended size?

I usually resize to about 1500 pixels across and use a file size of around 350-450Kb.

David

Thanks again for the welcome everybody.

"Cliff" is quite something. Excellent.

My other half would like to commission a version to bring her coffee up the stairs in the mornings. 

Thank you, and it's funny you should mention that! This project started when I dropped a length of track on the stairs as I was moving around, and thought "hmm...", which resulted in the following prototype:

post-32148-0-91339000-1532469680_thumb.jpg

It consisted of said length of track, taped to some cardboard, with some crude platforms and a Hornby 4-wheeled coach opened up to 45winched up and down by a motor. It only went up 3 steps though.

Oh, and that picture was far quicker to upload - thanks DaveF.
  • Like 2