Engines

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me simply where to get model steam trains, 00, used in Donegal?

Hi there,

Blackwood Models did kits for these in that scale, but are no longer available. However, I may know a man with some for sale if you want to PM me your email I can see what I can do.

Alphagraphix do them in O I believe, but I'm not 100% certain. 

And sadly I cant see us doing one RTR. Sorry!

HTH,

Fran

Hi there,

Blackwood Models did kits for these in that scale, but are no longer available. However, I may know a man with some for sale if you want to PM me your email I can see what I can do.

Alphagraphix do them in O I believe, but I'm not 100% certain.

And sadly I cant see us doing one RTR. Sorry!

HTH,

Fran

Sorry, I’m not confident enough with railways modelling to start building kits. Thanks for the offer though!

Sorry, I’m not confident enough with railways modelling to start building kits. Thanks for the offer though!

Youll have quite the hard time modelling anything Irish then.  If even possible at all without resorting to any kits.  

Youll have quite the hard time modelling anything Irish then. If even possible at all without resorting to any kits.

Yeah. I’ll probably just use English engines altered with the L & L S R sign on the side. Most people won’t be able to tell. It’s a pity though.

• RMweb Gold

Youll have quite the hard time modelling anything Irish then.  If even possible at all without resorting to any kits.  

For steam yes, but a good percentage of diesel era models and stock have been catered for in RTR, both by ourselves and Murphy Models. 

Cheers!

Fran

There was quite a lot of Murphy Models stock on Hattons second hand this week if you feel the need to swap era.

Thanks but I’m a steam man through and through. The last line for this area closed in 1955 so diesel electric isn’t appropriate. Mabye in the future manufactures will notice the little island to the left and make some RTR locos and stock.

Yeah. I’ll probably just use English engines altered with the L & L S R sign on the side. Most people won’t be able to tell. It’s a pity though.

A pity, indeed, as the Swilly had some very distinctive locos which would make lovely models ......... perhaps you can track down some old TT locos to re-badge as the gauge would be about right for 4mm scale ! 

( I did once cross from 'Derry to Buncrana and back by the Swilly  -  some time in the nineties in one of their buses ........... can't even do that now, unfortunately.) 

A pity, indeed, as the Swilly had some very distinctive locos which would make lovely models ......... perhaps you can track down some old TT locos to re-badge as the gauge would be about right for 4mm scale !

( I did once cross from 'Derry to Buncrana and back by the Swilly - some time in the nineties in one of their buses ........... can't even do that now, unfortunately.)

I wonder who owns the rights to the Swilly company?

Talk about an emotional roller coaster! I saw the thread title 'engines.'

"Hurrah!" I cried, as I skipped around the front room, throwing the old top hat into the air, flailing the arms like a dervish.

Bellowing "Surely they are making a 40, and not before time!", i collapsed into the chair, out of breath but still cock a hoop. The old trouble and strife looked with some disdain over her reading glasses and issued a disinterested and disapproving "harrumph!".

Then when I opened the thread my old ticker hit the floor like the proverbial brown stuff falling off the shovel. What's all this hot air about kettles from the emerald isle. Surely I'm not the only chap wanting some type 4 excitement from those geezers at accurascale?

Foiled again!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

"Hurrah!" I cried, as I skipped around the front room, throwing the old top hat into the air, flailing the arms like a dervish.

Bellowing "Surely they are making a 40, and not before time!", i collapsed into the chair, out of breath but still cock a hoop. The old trouble and strife looked with some disdain over her reading glasses and issued a disinterested and disapproving "harrumph!".

Then when I opened the thread my old ticker hit the floor like the proverbial brown stuff falling off the shovel. What's all this hot air about kettles from the emerald isle. Surely I'm not the only chap wanting some type 4 excitement from those geezers at accurascale?

Foiled again!

Personally what I’d really like to see is large manufacturers paying making RTR Irish models.

I know this topic is within the Accurascale section, but it might be noted that 00 Works have produced a RTR GNR(I) Glover U class 4-4-0 and are promising a GS&WR 101 class 0-6-0. Despite their price, a bit above normal RTR levels, the first ones have sold out, so there is a market, albeit perhaps a little limited at the moment. They at least meet the criterion of being steam and running on 16.5mm track.

Still not sure whether the plea is for narrow gauge locos, but it is interesting to note that 16.5mm is exactly in the middle between narrow gauge, 12mm, and broad gauge, 21mm, so the error, looking at it theoretically in one way, is the same for whichever option is chosen! (Tongue firmly in cheek) Not that a typical narrow gauge loco would work with a scale body on the wider gauge, although some of the County Donegal and LLSR tanks were mighty beasts, and might just work.

Foiled again!

That would strike me as an odd first choice loco for Accurascale considering there is already a decent 40 after a forth attempt by the B team.

• RMweb Gold

Personally what I’d really like to see is large manufacturers paying making RTR Irish models.

And there are two manufacturers who do just that, a third if you include OO Works as stated above. The likelihood of anyone doing RTR co. Donegal stock is next to nil I’m afraid to say.

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by 071

And there are two manufacturers who do just that, a third if you include OO Works as stated above. The likelihood of anyone doing RTR co. Donegal stock is next to nil I’m afraid to say.

Cheers,

Fran

Just my luck!

That would strike me as an odd first choice loco for Accurascale considering there is already a decent 40 after a forth attempt by the B team.

That depends on how you look at it. Whilst the Bachmann model isnt terrible, the shape at least is right this time, but the bogies, cab windows and interior, roof fan and other details could all be greatly improved on. Give it a top notch sound system and itd be a winner. Think of the detail level on a Sutton 24, or more specifically look at detail standard on the wagons accura are producing, a 40 to those standards would sweep the Bachmann model away.

On top of that it's an iconic loco, worked all over, had a couple of celebrity locos, is preserved and fits in with the wagons produced very well.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

That depends on how you look at it. Whilst the Bachmann model isnt terrible, the shape at least is right this time, but the bogies, cab windows and interior, roof fan and other details could all be greatly improved on. Give it a top notch sound system and itd be a winner. Think of the detail level on a Sutton 24, or more specifically look at detail standard on the wagons accura are producing, a 40 to those standards would sweep the Bachmann model away.

On top of that it's an iconic loco, worked all over, had a couple of celebrity locos, is preserved and fits in with the wagons produced very well.

That’s great but the line I’m modelling closed before diesel electric came to Ireland

Maybe eventually they could do the ultimate whistler. I just feel it is bit of risk for a young company to do that as their first loco for which sales would be hard to predict given that most people are probably satisfied with Bachmann's last attempt.

I used to knee jerk at the promise of something better but found often the improvements, although there, are marginal compared with the leaps and bounds we used to see over 80s model. I expect others did the same but knee jerk less now.

• 4 weeks later...

On Facebook, accurascale made a post about recording sounds for a forth coming project.

Now it could be that we will see the DCC sound fitted wagons in RTR (Hornby's TTS wagon aside) but more likely it is for their first RTR loco.

So what could it be?