Engines

attachicon.gifIMG_4810 (2).JPG

Not guilty but what an excellent idea.  Great event by the way.  Can I have this one please! :)

That is a useful photo of a class 50 cab end.

Note particularly

The "shelf" in front of the windscreens which curves

The shape of the windscreens

The shape of the gutter from the cabside windows around under the headcode box.

I ASSUME that someone has already mentioned the Maunsell N and U class variants used by the (Irish) MGWR  (Midland Great Western Railway)  and  GSR (Great Southern Railway)  -  imported as kits ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSR_Classes_372_and_393

These were built to 5ft 3ins gauge, which means that they would be better that "4ft 8ins" locos on 16mm track.

Irish modellers would get useful steam locos, and British ones would get either an up-to-date N class, or a new U-Boat (U-class).

I ASSUME that someone has already mentioned the Maunsell N and U class variants used by the (Irish) MGWR  (Midland Great Western Railway)  and  GSR (Great Southern Railway)  -  imported as kits ;

These were built to 5ft 3ins gauge, which means that they would be better that "4ft 8ins" locos on 16mm track.

Irish modellers would get useful steam locos, and British ones would get either an up-to-date N class, or a new U-Boat (U-class).

I'm not sure what you're meaning about gauge - surely if the model is still running on 4'1½’’ gauge track it's further from reality when it should be 21mm ! [ you can read that as 16.5mm / 5'3'' if you wish ]

Good ol' Wikipedia is wrong to say that "GSR 372 and 393 classes were part of a batch of N and U class locomotive kits" as all one hundred were started as N class and the fact that the 393s got bigger wheels DOES NOT make them U class ( the latter had a different coupled wheelbase too ). I'm pretty sure a lot of 'spare' N class bits got incorporated in 2-6-2T No.850 too ( Wikipedia  concurs : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSR_Class_850 ) - a nice looking loco but less likely to appear from the IRM stable.

........... anyway, back on topic - yes a U-boat would be very welcome !

I'm not sure what you're meaning about gauge - surely if the model is still running on 4'1½’’ gauge track it's further from reality when it should be 21mm ! [ you can read that as 16.5mm / 5'3'' if you wish ]

Good ol' Wikipedia is wrong to say that "GSR 372 and 393 classes were part of a batch of N and U class locomotive kits" as all one hundred were started as N class and the fact that the 393s got bigger wheels DOES NOT make them U class ( the latter had a different coupled wheelbase too ). I'm pretty sure a lot of 'spare' N class bits got incorporated in 2-6-2T No.850 too ( Wikipedia  concurs : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSR_Class_850 ) - a nice looking loco but less likely to appear from the IRM stable.

........... anyway, back on topic - yes a U-boat would be very welcome !

The comment about gauge had me mystified too. Agreed that a U would be very welcome. If it’s a choice between N and U, I’d suggest that a U would be a better seller because It hasn’t been done in RTR before. The big question would be if it is worth tooling up to produce a U1 as well.

The comment about gauge had me mystified too. Agreed that a U would be very welcome. If it’s a choice between N and U, I’d suggest that a U would be a better seller because It hasn’t been done in RTR before. The big question would be if it is worth tooling up to produce a U1 as well.

Ignoring the two basic tenders, the U-boats present more variables than the N - for a smaller No. of locos : they'd have to tool up two cab widths and running plate heights .......... and the tooling to produce the U1 with all variants of !890 would be ridiculous !

Edited by Wickham Green

Ignoring the two basic tenders, the U-boats present more variables than the N - for a smaller No. of locos : they'd have to tool up two cab widths and running plate heights .......... and the tooling to produce the U1 with all variants of !890 would be ridiculous !

Fair enough but no need to produce every variation – just the most eye-catching.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Okay, I'm going to nip this one in the bud. A RTR Irish version of the Woolwich Mogul has been done extensively previously by Murphy Models utilising the Bachmann N class tooling, so it isn't on our radar. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do I get the impression it's not going to be a Chatham 'D' after all, then ??!?

Seriously, it looks like an impressive model but, of course, there's no way I'd ever justify running a Deltic around here ..............

post-28941-0-17875200-1543234838_thumb.jpg

.......... at least not on my 1948 layout - Sorry, Guys.

• Like 1

Do I get the impression it's not going to be a Chatham 'D' after all, then ??!?

Seriously, it looks like an impressive model but, of course, there's no way I'd ever justify running a Deltic around here ..............

attachicon.gif939.20J.jpg

.......... at least not on my 1948 layout - Sorry, Guys.

Or on a train of 50 year old tank wagons in the Glasgow suburbs in 2014...... 

post-657-0-36447500-1543237344_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Or on a train of 50 year old tank wagons in the Glasgow suburbs in 2014...... 

Any pics of one pulling cemflos or PCAs?

(I was hypnotised by early 1980s catalogues to always run locos and rolling stock from the same manufacturer). 

• 1 year later...

Dear Accurascale,

FIRSTLY, HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS - you all deserve it after the efforts you've made this last year.

I recognise that virtually all of your 'merchandise' relates to pretty modern image - Deltics do go back a little, as do 37's but they're still in the modern image of things.

How about a coup and producing a 'Steamie', but more importantly one which doesn't appear to have been mentioned on other manufacturers' sites, so far, but which will be pretty fantastic ...

There are a group of fantastic enthusiasts in Doncaster, South Yorkshire preparing to re-build a 'Bugatti-nosed' (A4-style) P2 Cock o' the North.

How about replicating that one?

Al.

Just now, atom3624 said:

Dear Accurascale,

FIRSTLY, HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS - you all deserve it after the efforts you've made this last year.

I recognise that virtually all of your 'merchandise' relates to pretty modern image - Deltics do go back a little, as do 37's but they're still in the modern image of things.

How about a coup and producing a 'Steamie', but more importantly one which doesn't appear to have been mentioned on other manufacturers' sites, so far, but which will be pretty fantastic ...

There are a group of fantastic enthusiasts in Doncaster, South Yorkshire preparing to re-build a 'Bugatti-nosed' (A4-style) P2 Cock o' the North.

How about replicating that one?

Al.

Tsk Wishlisting at Christmas, have you no soul.  :D

I think a certain Margate based company might be the best people to ask nicely, they're not one's to miss a trick and they have the chassis 

I was thinking that, but I was after a game-changing model.

I suppose if 'that Margate-based company' mould a body which matches the quality of their A4 iteration, it won't be that bad ... just curious what one of the new guys on the block could come up with ...

Al.