German layout ideas

Memphis32

Back in the 80's a fair amount of track on mainlines in West Germany used metal, presumably steel sleepers.

Probably not helpful at all, unless there is someone out there who makes same.

John.

Peco do steel sleepers, but as far as I understand, they would have been laid later than the 50s.

Further thoughts on the issue of hiding holes in the backscene - if the branch rose up and over the platform end (local geology would have forced the exact position for the gradients), opening up the other end for the loco shed and tunnel mouth. I’ll have a play with SCARM later this week, but it would probably mean having a separate platform for the branch (either on a switchback arrangement or on the gradient itself), or the train reversing out of the station before climbing the gradient.

If that doesn’t make sense, please wait for graphical representations within a few days!!

Back in the 80's a fair amount of track on mainlines in West Germany used metal, presumably steel sleepers.

Probably not helpful at all, unless there is someone out there who makes same.

Hi,

steel sleepers were used since the 1930s (in Germany).

concrete sleepers were widely used since 1949, first tests started in the 1920s.

Weinert makes steel sleeper track . See https://weinert-modellbau.de/ausgeliefert/105-mein-stahlschwellengleis-ist-da

Piko has concrete sleeper tracks and turnouts: https://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_type=301&vw_id=341&vw_name=detail

I hope this helps,

Michael

Further thoughts on the issue of hiding holes in the backscene - if the branch rose up and over the platform end (local geology would have forced the exact position for the gradients), opening up the other end for the loco shed and tunnel mouth. I’ll have a play with SCARM later this week, but it would probably mean having a separate platform for the branch (either on a switchback arrangement or on the gradient itself), or the train reversing out of the station before climbing the gradient.

Ok, part-way there:

Boppard V2

Boppard V2 3D

Boppard V2 3D2

Gradients are ok (about 4%, so way less than the prototype!) for a VT98/VS98 pair or tank plus a couple of coaches. The RH end is well hidden and LH end has a tunnel exit. There is now loads of space at the tunnel end, either to spread out the loco facilities, bring the platform further over (but that would poss make it too prominent again) or include some goods facilities (exchange sidings for the branch maybe?)

What do y'all think? Is the branch junction plausible? Should it have some sort of platform on the gradient? Is there room for goods? (The cliche'd beer vans would welcome a purpose, but not if shoehorned in!)
Edited by Memphis32

Here's a couple of ideas for filling in the LH end. Junction is the same, and I'd still welcome any opinions on that!

First, shed area similar to Boppard - single road shed with a second siding next to it for locos awaiting work I assume. There's a single siding in addition, poss for branch line carriages, or goods exchange, or there could be a small industry behind the shed area.

Boppard V2

Second reduces the loco servicing to a single road, and adds a second carriage/goods siding. There could be space for adding some yard equipment, such as a small crane and end-loading dock.

Boppard V3

Or with 3-way - flows better than a separate switch I think:

Boppard V4

Edited by Memphis32

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How about something based around Rüdesheim? You can get a few olde worlde wooden framed buildings in, vineyards, the Asbach-Uralt distillery, and a cable car up to the Niederwald Denkmal (war memorial commemorating the Franco-German war of around 1870, which led to German unification.

How about something based around Rüdesheim? You can get a few olde worlde wooden framed buildings in, vineyards, the Asbach-Uralt distillery, and a cable car up to the Niederwald Denkmal (war memorial commemorating the Franco-German war of around 1870, which led to German unification.

Looks good, with a bit more room - especially as the station is right on the edge of the town, and there's a ferry right in front of it.

I'm leaning more towards not bothering with the station anymore, and just having the branch junction with a few sidings:

Steinbruchafen V1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks good, with a bit more room - especially as the station is right on the edge of the town, and there's a ferry right in front of it.

I'm leaning more towards not bothering with the station anymore, and just having the branch junction with a few sidings:

Think I preferred the previous plan in terms that the industry was further from the line than the loco servicing. Although generally prefer it without the station... 

If you choose to model the east bank of the river, St Goarshausen makes an interesting place to model. In the early 2000s, the station layout was in the traditional style of low platforms, with a gently sloping section for each line. Passengers were held in the station building until the train arrived and those travelling north had to cross the southbound line to board the train. While this took place southbound trains were held just to the north of the station.

Edited by raetiamann