Railwells 2018

DLT

I think that every time I have been to RailWells I have got home to realise that I have missed out on one of the layouts.

Likewise I had a Brigadoon experience, I felt sure I’d seen a sales stand when I got there but couldn’t find it later on.

• RMweb Gold

Did the chap with the 3/4mm layout keep his promise to reveal how it worked at the end of the show?

Yes, despite various theories about hot air blowers and tame ants, it turned out to be based on some plastic strimmer line, worked by pulleys:

post-57-0-74853000-1534147823.jpg

post-57-0-85018000-1534147834.jpg

post-57-0-05813300-1534147844.jpg

post-57-0-27580600-1534147852.jpg

post-57-0-12915600-1534147863.jpg

Each loco or item of rolling stock was permanently attached to a 'cradle', which reached down under the track via an almost microscopically thin slot that runs the entire length of the inside of one of the rails and the 'cradle' then grips onto the strimmer wire underneath.

The whole thing ran very smoothly indeed, however, when the top was on and the illusion was being kept. The smoothness of the running would have put many larger scale models to shame, in fact!

Yes, despite various theories about hot air blowers and tame ants, it turned out to be based on some plastic strimmer line, worked by pulleys:

attachicon.gif20180812_160047.jpg

attachicon.gif20180812_160125.jpg

attachicon.gif20180812_160207.jpg

attachicon.gif20180812_160346.jpg

attachicon.gif20180812_155747.jpg

Each loco or item of rolling stock was permanently attached to a 'cradle', which reached down under the track via an almost microscopically thin slot that runs the entire length of the inside of one of the rails and the 'cradle' then grips onto the strimmer wire underneath.

The whole thing ran very smoothly indeed, however, when the top was on and the illusion was being kept. The smoothness of the running would have put many larger scale models to shame, in fact!

I've been looking for the thin slot in my photos and can I find it? Can I @! I thought that the operator said that the piece of 'test track' he had alongside the scenic display was a one-piece casting? Might have misheard him though.

How did the cradle attach to the strimmer wire? When the loco was 'coupled' to the wagon the two did run very smoothly together.

Next challenge will be to put some curves in there!

Quite apart from how the thing actually ran, I was blown away by the level of detail achieved in the scenery at such a small scale, such as the fencing, the bridge, the building etc etc. Amazing work!

• Like 1

11th & 12th August 2018 saw the Wells Model Railway Fraternity host their annual Railwells Model Railway Exhibition. This years line-up featured no less than 16 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway, plus the stunning Clutton in P4 Finescale, on it's last public outing before retirement. Also on hand was an excellent selection of Demo's and Trade Stands.

Layouts at the event included;

Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway - 2mm Finescale

Lower Rose Goods - P4 Finescale

Pwllheli - P4 Finescale

Wantage - 009 Scale

The Worlds End - 00 / 4mm Scale

Bridge Sidings - 3/4mm to 1 Foot

Mount Woodville - P4 Finescale

Ballyconnell Road - 3mm Finescale

Plaxtol Road - 0 / 7mm Scale

Ashburton - N / 2mm Finescale

Amiens 1918 - 009 Scale (My WW1 Trench Railway)

Navigation Road - EM Scale

Callaton - 2mm Finescale

Bordesley North - 2mm Finescale

MSW - 2mm Finescale

Clutton - P4 Finescale (Final Public Show)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7DnTRaZA6M

• Like 6

11th & 12th August 2018 saw the Wells Model Railway Fraternity host their annual Railwells Model Railway Exhibition. This years line-up featured no less than 16 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway, plus the stunning Clutton in P4 Finescale, on it's last public outing before retirement. Also on hand was an excellent selection of Demo's and Trade Stands.

Layouts at the event included;

Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway - 2mm Finescale

Lower Rose Goods - P4 Finescale

Pwllheli - P4 Finescale

Wantage - 009 Scale

The Worlds End - 00 / 4mm Scale

Bridge Sidings - 3/4mm to 1 Foot

Mount Woodville - P4 Finescale

Ballyconnell Road - 3mm Finescale

Plaxtol Road - 0 / 7mm Scale

Ashburton - N / 2mm Finescale

Amiens 1918 - 009 Scale (My WW1 Trench Railway)

Navigation Road - EM Scale

Callaton - 2mm Finescale

Bordesley North - 2mm Finescale

MSW - 2mm Finescale

Clutton - P4 Finescale (Final Public Show)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7DnTRaZA6M

Absolutely love your videos Callum

• Like 1

I've been looking for the thin slot in my photos and can I find it? Can I @! I thought that the operator said that the piece of 'test track' he had alongside the scenic display was a one-piece casting? Might have misheard him though.

How did the cradle attach to the strimmer wire? When the loco was 'coupled' to the wagon the two did run very smoothly together.

Next challenge will be to put some curves in there!

Quite apart from how the thing actually ran, I was blown away by the level of detail achieved in the scenery at such a small scale, such as the fencing, the bridge, the building etc etc. Amazing work!

The slot was 10 thou (0.25mm) wide, so barely visible. He did say that at least one of the pieces of track was made from whitemetal castings, and I think the bottom of the cradles had prongs or a sharpened edge that stuck into the strimmer wire. I couldn't work out how he engaged and disengaged the wagon from the strimmer wire (there were some handles at the back of the display) to simulate the coupled train.

There was quite a crowd there at 4pm to see the grand unveiling!

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A last-minute 'hiccup' meant that, for the first time in years, I did not get to RailWells this year :-( :-( So I'm really, really totally p****** off at not getting to see North Cornwall in all its glory, not the finale for Clutton. Mind you, as my presence in the hall is usually heralded by something coming off the track, probably TimV was relieved...:-)

A last-minute 'hiccup' meant that, for the first time in years, I did not get to RailWells this year :-( :-( So I'm really, really totally p****** off at not getting to see North Cornwall in all its glory, not the finale for Clutton. Mind you, as my presence in the hall is usually heralded by something coming off the track, probably TimV was relieved...:-)

Trains ran well all weekend, your non-attendance was noted!