Peco 4 wheel milk tank wagon

dube

Want to run a milk train in early 1930s livery GWR area, are these wagons accurate? I understand they were rebuilt as 6 wheelers in the 30s maybe mix with Hornby Dapol wagons from the same milk company ?

Edited by dube

The drawing is for an LMS built 4 wheel milk tank...

The GWR only built 12 3000 gallon 4 wheel milk tank in 1927 for United Dairies, subsequently converted to 6 wheel. All the remainder were built with 6 wheels from new. The brake gear was probably the distinctive Dean Churchward type. Siphon bogie vans were also used for carrying milk in churns.

Here is a shot of the original 4-wheelers. Given their cleanliness, adjacent numbering and men in smart suits, I would hazard a guess that they are being inspected upon delivery to Wooten Basset.

post-887-0-10730200-1501859353.png

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have more info as to how these were converted to 3 axle chassis.  Was it a simple case of an additional plate being welded / riveted in place between the existing ones (along with adding the additional axle boxes and springs etc) or was it more of a complete new underframe build? 

I really like the look of these early tanks with their short overhangs.  All a little bit different to the later builds.  So I was looking at the potential of adding the extra w iron etc to a Peco tank to modernise...

I thought that the tanks were mounted on new 6W under frames, but that is only an "I thought", not a definitive statement.

And, since Brian snuck a nice tinplate Hornby one in, here are a modern tinplate 0 replica of the 1930s Bassett Lowke model and real thing, which is more than I can afford. Lovely, eh?

24EAA551-69A8-4F32-9303-6973B736E5F7.jpeg

F079626E-EA5C-4830-9373-8493E4810B89.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

The Southern certainly built new six-wheeled chassis for theirs ( though there probably wasn't much left that was actually 'theirs' as the tanks themselves belonged to the dairies ) ......... the redundant four-wheel chassis ended up under 20T coal wagons - presumably heavily rebuilt - though photos are unknown.

Yup, pretty sure that the rebuilds simply mounted the existing tanks on a new chassis. The 6-wheeled chassis had a much longer wheelbase than the 4-wheelers so it certainly wasn't a case of just adding an extra axle. 

• Agree 2