Killians broad and narrow bodging workbench

I could have posted this in the narrow gauge section of the forum but I thought it would be better off here with my pre-grouping mates

I've started work on a layout in 009 (more about that later) and I am in need of some narrow gauge engines of the period 1860-1880, Bluelightning on here has already showed us how to make a very nice little Fletcher Jennings 'Charlemagne' out of a Bachmann Skarloey, and this is something Intend to try in the future, I expect a Dolgoch bash would be possible from the Rheneas, but the premise of that isnt quite as strong as Talyllyn (Dolgoch being pretty much unique)

To start off, I wanted something simple, i.e, no valve gear etc. to faff about with, so a tram engine to run on a kato chassis or similar is in order, the engine of choice? Secundus, by Bellis & co.post-29975-0-05829200-1532972835.jpg

post-29975-0-72241500-1532972862.png

The model is to depict the loco post rebuilding by Lewins (because there seems to be no photo of her or Primus in original condition) but prior to the addition of the cab, from plasticard constructionpost-29975-0-79141000-1532973055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've never even heard of this loco before, but reading about it, I'm amazed I've never seen it modelled before now. It's such an unusual, characterful loco and makes a nice change from the endless parade of Glyn Valley tram engines (pushes GVT project out of sight).

• Like 4

You could probably do worse than look at other Lewis locos as inspiration. One with very steeply inclinded cylinders, perhaps, or an over type geared loco. Or, perhaps a very early Bagnall, one called ‘Ada’ I think is what I have in mind, but I can’t quickly find a photo, so here is ‘Brick’ instead.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

I have a drawing of Ada, courtesy of Peter Binne's website with much of his fathers material, and I should have one of Brick somewhere post-29975-0-90534000-1533256240_thumb.png

I've always liked geared engines like the overtype lewins and Boultons Lilliputian but being a stubborn old goat I would insist on having the motion work post-29975-0-64543100-1533256355_thumb.png

Speaking of Lewins, there are about three in this shot of Swanscombe cement works c. 1876, 3' 5 1/2" gauge with outside flanges, just hard to tell the details apart from them being saddle tanks post-29975-0-61633900-1533297376.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 7

Put a saddle tank on Brick and you've got Boulton's Ashtonian

attachicon.gifIMG_20180806_002926.jpg

Not quite. They're completely different in construction and appearance. I've always thought that the drawing of Ashtonian isn't complete - where are the cylinders? I know they were supposed to be inside the frames but there's nothing showing at all, and no sign of the gearing either.

The cylinders on Brick were inside the frames but at the firebox end, with the connecting rods going to the leading axle, which is why it had such a long wheelbase. The cylinders and valve gear on those early Bagnalls was fitted into the frames as a complete unit that could be dropped out for maintenance.

• Informative/Useful 1

I agree Mr Ruston,

it seems a barely skeletal drawing to me, although if you read the 'space' behind the springs as a plate, it is possible that everything is tucked-up inside the frames, with the cylinders directly below the smoke-box ...... there might even be the ghost of an oiler at the front there.

Not quite. They're completely different in construction and appearance. I've always thought that the drawing of Ashtonian isn't complete - where are the cylinders? I know they were supposed to be inside the frames but there's nothing showing at all, and no sign of the gearing either.

The cylinders on Brick were inside the frames but at the firebox end, with the connecting rods going to the leading axle, which is why it had such a long wheelbase. The cylinders and valve gear on those early Bagnalls was fitted into the frames as a complete unit that could be dropped out for maintenance.

At the firebox end? Now that is odd, am I correct in assuming ada was also of this set up? If my memory serves that's how Colin Binnie depicts her, of course Ashtonian is different in having gearing, which I assume the cylinders were at the front, I do agree the drawing is very light on mechanical details below the running board, evidently the photo the drawing was taken from was not especially good quality, not to mention the whistle puts it over the specified 6'

• 7 months later...

A little 3d printing design I've been working on for 009, I considered the work that had gone into the 338 (and counting!) rivets and decided a 16mm version might be possible by simply scaling up by a factor of 4, its a Neath Abbey Ironworks 0-4-0st of about 1861 to run on anything from 2' 3" to 3' gauge,  so 2' is no great push 

received_411463392987954.png

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

37 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Do tell more about the Broad Gauge side of things.

drduncan

My collection of broad gauge stock is fairly modest at the minute and consists of a ks rover as yet to be motorised,  two mikes models six wheel coaches which I intend on making molds of to copy,  a BGS Bristol and Exeter coal wagon and the six wheel open posted above,  Im in the process of aquiring one or two more locos,  as for a layout,  Im not sure yet what to build aside from itll be mixed gauge but Ill happily take suggestions 

• Like 3