Porthmadog 24/7/18

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

To misquote Samuel Johnson, 'A man who is tired of the Festiniog Railway is tired of life!'.

I must admit I've not had the opportunity to visit for a few years and no criticism of earlier posters is intended. Great photos though.

Looks like a good day at Porthmadog there.

I can certainly understand not really feeling like a ride, I think that watching things come and go at Porthmadog harbour would be fascinating enough, and probably more interesting than a ride up the line. Grosmont would be similar with terminating trains, through trains and loco changes, and a day on the footbridge at North Weald is very interesting, they operate that railway in a much more interesting fashion than would probably be the case if they had a run round at Epping.

• Like 1

No, I didn't, done it many times and no longer find it of interest. As is my usual practice on preserved railways I bought a ticket to ride but didn't use it.

No longer of interest? That's sad to hear David, I always find a trip on the FR of great interest, and that's after 40 years. Glad to hear you still support the line though, I did the same at Fairbourne last week.

I tend to agree with "Sir Haydn". 

My first visit to the FR was in around 1967 as a young boy of probably 5 or 6. i had seen my dads cine films prior to that though.  Of course it was only to Tan y Bwlch then with the Penrhyn "ladies" and a Fairlie. When we moved to Merioneth in 1971 we were able to visit a few more times, but every visit was magical.  Even the push pull dfiesel to Gelliwiog during the rebuilding back to Blaenau was interesting and enjoyable, but the post oil firing era is more attractive to me. Proper smells of coal burning and none of the ground rumbling roar from the burners in the "ashpan".

Three weeks ago I was clearing some stuff at my Stepmum's place after my dad died.  I was treated to quite a range of FR traction passing through Tamygrisiau - I think both "ladies", Prince, Taliesin, two double engines and at least one diesel.

I don't think I could ever say i couldn't find the Fezzie of interest, but i guess we are all different. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...