Life in a Northern Town

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Captain Kernow

Captain Kernow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20,816 posts
  • LocationWhere did you say that we were?

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:26

You're most perceptive, the light railway will have a Derwent Valley-esque feel to it, some structures will be copies and one location a direct-ish lift from the real thing. I also have in mind the Isle of Axholme, though that won't result in any physical representation. The light railway will be less of a feature than I'd originally intended when faced with the bare boards, but less is as ever more and I think that what's left will be better for it.

Earlier Ian (old dudders) suggested that I take a look again at the British Transport Film's 'This is York'. I'd last seen it about forty years ago as a teenager. Viewed again I found it more charming than I remembered and more interesting. One thing that struck me is that it appears not to use stock footage but has everything shot specifically for it; it becomes far more valuable for that. Anyway, take a look for yourselves.

I've always liked the bit where the Stationmaster says that the meeting with the union reps end up 'breathing agreement over each other'.

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#52 Neil

Neil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 16:19

Last month Alex asked if I had a layout plan; I replied that I hadn't but hinted one might appear once I had a firmer idea of how the layout would look. Well that time has arrived, so here's the plan.

garage plan 01.jpg

You should see that it incorporates the repositioning of the glassworks and gives some sense of the light railway heading towards a more rural setting. The light railway is still a rather rough concept in this area and may be subject to alteration. The other side of the layout shows the freight depot behind the Stonebow and opening out to the top end of Fossgate. The plan is very obviously not to scale but does give a reasonable idea of the track layout and how it fits with the landscape and major structures.

I've also found a dozen photos of the Castle Mills Bridge area in the York Press archives.  This should give a good idea of what I'd like the road crossings to the left of the glassworks to look like.

• Like x 8

#53 PMP

PMP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 18:41

I like the overall look of the plan but the diamond in front of the light railway shed looks odd, I’m trying to think of a UK location where that occurred and can’t recall one. It almost seems too extravagant for a light railway. Is it worth considering the shed being the aisle side of the track, same location with the kickback, but full foreground?
  • Thanks x 1

#54 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,933 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 16 September 2018 - 19:32

Do I not recall that a railway nursery (plants, not bambini) near York had a narrow gauge railway as part of the infrastructure? Was it called Popplewell?
  • Agree x 2

#55 Worsdell forever

Worsdell forever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,163 posts
  • LocationWhitby, in't Glorious Peoples Republic o' Yorksher!

Posted 16 September 2018 - 20:14

Do I not recall that a railway nursery (plants, not bambini) near York had a narrow gauge railway as part of the infrastructure? Was it called Popplewell?

Don't know about a narrow gauge line but there was a railway nursery at Poppleton station and it's still there.

https://www.google.c...=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

#56 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,933 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 16 September 2018 - 20:25

Don't know about a narrow gauge line but there was a railway nursery at Poppleton station and it's still there.

https://www.google.c...=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

That’s the one, thanks Paul.

#57 sir douglas

sir douglas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • LocationWakefield

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:59

it was a railway owned nursery that grew the flowers for most NER station platform plant pots, it had a 2ft system around it which is still there and part of it is now run by a group of volunteers