Posted Image

The 2018 OO Wishlist is now live - please read the Guide pages here before voting.

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Customer behaviour

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

#151 87029

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCity of Carlisle

Posted 11 August 2018 - 20:42

For clarity, I've never thought your ads are offensive, just strange.

They are different for our field of interest. For many other subjects that are advertised, they would probably be the norm.

• Agree x 2

#152 NittenDormer

NittenDormer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 20:43

Phil,

Hopefully you will permit me to clear up a couple of aspects about our use of Fay for our adverts (and then this thread might return to topic)

I have a friend who used to be a professional photographer, and one of his fields of expertise was glamour photography - Fay (not her real name) is one of the models he worked with. She is definitely not a CGI image, and is not related to me other than being a friend of my photographer friend

Discussing adverts with him one day, it was commented within the conversation that it would be different to have a glamour model advertising a model railway shop - effectively "A model in a model shop".Other puns are also available, such as "Santa Fay"

David arranged the photoshoots which took place at C&M, and I simply choose the pictures I wish to use from what was taken in the shop. We will never use a picture that is too revealing.

The adverts are simply there to be eye-catching, stand out from the rest, and hopefully put a smile on peoples faces. And from the comments made, that would appear to be the case.

No offence is intended to be caused, and if you do feel they are inappropriate, then I respectfully suggest that you see what the betting shop next door has for the large posters in it's window in full view of the street.

Mike, C&M Models

Tell me more about those pictures that ARE too revealing?

You seem to be suggesting that the way I speak is somehow 'verboten' these days...

I dislike PC almost as much as I love railways.

Can I ask about the size of your hands?

• Funny x 1

#153 87029

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCity of Carlisle

Posted 11 August 2018 - 20:44

Tell me more about those pictures that ARE too revealing?

No.

• Like x 2

#154 Phil Parker

Phil Parker

Garden Rail Editor / BRM Practical

• Administrators
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationLeamington Spa

Posted 11 August 2018 - 21:02

Phil,

Hopefully you will permit me to clear up a couple of aspects about our use of Fay for our adverts (and then this thread might return to topic)

I have a friend who used to be a professional photographer, and one of his fields of expertise was glamour photography - Fay (not her real name) is one of the models he worked with. She is definitely not a CGI image, and is not related to me other than being a friend of my photographer friend

Discussing adverts with him one day, it was commented within the conversation that it would be different to have a glamour model advertising a model railway shop - effectively "A model in a model shop".Other puns are also available, such as "Santa Fay"

David arranged the photoshoots which took place at C&M, and I simply choose the pictures I wish to use from what was taken in the shop. We will never use a picture that is too revealing.

The adverts are simply there to be eye-catching, stand out from the rest, and hopefully put a smile on peoples faces. And from the comments made, that would appear to be the case.

No offence is intended to be caused, and if you do feel they are inappropriate, then I respectfully suggest that you see what the betting shop next door has for the large posters in it's window in full view of the street.

Mike, C&M Models

Mike - Thanks for the background info. I'm sure a lot of us wondered how you managed to arrange these eye-catching ads! As you say, there's nothing revealing in there and the latest 3-stages of model buying one is pretty funny, and better shot with "Fay" than your average RMwebber. 

• Funny x 4
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#155 Chamby

Chamby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 11 August 2018 - 21:20

Phil,

Mike, C&M Models

Hi Mike, another Phil here!

We live in changing times, where Formula One has recently found it necessary to stop using ‘grid girls’ and televised Darts tournaments have made a similar move. These decisions have polarised opinion, with vociferous objections as well as strident support being voiced. Your campaign featuring ‘Fay’ taps into similar sentiments. Some people will see it as a cheap marketing ploy that has nothing to do with the hobby, others will say “good on yer mate”. I guess the impact on your sales volumes will tell you whether, on balance, you are generating the right sort of attention or not.

#156 tomparryharry

tomparryharry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationNewport, South Wales

Posted 11 August 2018 - 21:42

Phil,

Mike, C&M Models

Mike, at the risk of sounding too smutty, please send my best respects to the young lady, and let her know she can play with my trains any time she likes.

Cheers,

Ian.

#157 royaloak

royaloak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • LocationIn the front pushing buttons.

Posted 11 August 2018 - 22:02

Could be worse. A recent ad in BRM had a word beginning with B and ending with ugger..........

Whats wrong with talking about a household cleaner, they have a little jingle to go with it-

"If Daz dont whiten it and OMO dont brighten it, b ugger it!"

If you dont know about those cleaners ask yer Mum or Dad, um actually dont ask yer Dad, he wont have a clue!

Edited by royaloak, 11 August 2018 - 22:03 .

• Funny x 1

#158 Phil Parker

Phil Parker

Garden Rail Editor / BRM Practical

• Administrators
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationLeamington Spa

Posted 11 August 2018 - 22:10

OK, I think this one has run on enough and for a thread that started out with someone pointing out a lack of respect to a female member of staff, we are heading to the sort of "banter" that can be misconstrued by some to demonstrate exactly that sort of attitude. 

Thanks to Mike for his input and to those who have helpfully agreed that everyone deserves respect and that working with the public isn't an easy job. Can we now go back to moaning about toy trains please? 

• Agree x 11
  • Like x 1