Fowler 3F (Jinty) as Thomas

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Back in 2007 my better half and I enjoyed a day on the Strathspey Railway, where we were steam hauled by a 'Jinty'; she was painted up as 'Thomas the Tank Engine'.  Does anyone know what her real identity was?  I did have photos but they were lost some time ago.

The above also got me thinking!  The repaint was thorough so I imagine that she would also have run on other railways in the same livery as I assume repainting would be expensive.  Does anyone know where, when?

Taking this further what were the other 'Jinties' that also passed themselves off as Thomas?

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc, on this.

Regards,

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is in LMS black, note this is a Hunslet (1463/1924)built Jinty.  The WD considered building batches of Jinty tanks in WWII but Hunslet suggested that they built a modified version of the 18" thus giving us the Austerity tank (not a J94!)

http://www.leedsengine.info/leeds/photo.asp?photo=images/Hunslet%20Engine/Standard%20Gauge%20Loco/Steam/HE%201463%20LMS%207298%20at%20Llangollen.jpg&phby=Andrew%20Johnson&loco=7298%2047298%20%20(Hunslet%20Engine%20Co%201463/1924)&exact=on

• RMweb Premium

Hi AMJ,

Thanks for that link.  I had contacted the SR about this, and all they could remember was that it had come from Llangollen; they were really quite helpful with my enquiry.

Regards,

Alex.

47298 was brought out of Barry in 1974 and taken to Steamport Southport for restoration by owner Derek Foster and other members of the Liverpool Locomotive Preservation Group. The loco was returned to steam in 1979 and went to Rocket 150 under its own steam including a run down the WCML. It steamed regularly for a couple years at Steamport before going to the ELR and Llangollen. When Derek bought his 'Chinese Takeaway' S160 (he had already restored 76079 from Barry condition) he sold 7298 to Huw Parker, also based at Llan by then. Huw toured the loco as Thomas for several years before selling it to Ian Riley.  I believe it is currently awaiting overhaul.  The attached photo shows 47298 at Steamport in early 1980 shortly after being restored and before re-painting in time for Rainhill.  Its then owner Derek Foster is in the left hand background. Hope this helps.

Ray.

post-23517-0-78608300-1535705954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

47298 was brought out of Barry in 1974 and taken to Steamport Southport for restoration by owner Derek Foster and other members of the Liverpool Locomotive Preservation Group. The loco was returned to steam in 1979 and went to Rocket 150 under its own steam including a run down the WCML. It steamed regularly for a couple years at Steamport before going to the ELR and Llangollen. When Derek bought his 'Chinese Takeaway' S160 (he had already restored 76079 from Barry condition) he sold 7298 to Huw Parker, also based at Llan by then. Huw toured the loco as Thomas for several years before selling it to Ian Riley.  I believe it is currently awaiting overhaul.  The attached photo shows 47298 at Steamport in early 1980 shortly after being restored and before re-painting in time for Rainhill.  Its then owner Derek Foster is in the left hand background. Hope this helps.

Ray.

attachicon.gif1 47298 & Pooley van Jan 1980.jpg

Hi again,

Thanks for posting this.  Any thoughts on the van conversion that the 3F is coupled to?

Regards,

Alex.

Ray.

attachicon.gif1 47298 & Pooley van Jan 1980.jpg

Whilst on the subject of Derek Foster and his 4f at Southport, does anyone recall a documentary (mid '70's possibly) about a young chap and his wife who bought a GWR 45xx ? The programme followed its transportation from Barry to Southport and showed Derek off loading the 45xx in the yard with a brake van and 47298. I seem to remember Johnny Morris dulcet toned voice narrating.

Guy

Whilst on the subject of Derek Foster and his 4f at Southport, does anyone recall a documentary (mid '70's possibly) about a young chap and his wife who bought a GWR 45xx ? The programme followed its transportation from Barry to Southport and showed Derek off loading the 45xx in the yard with a brake van and 47298. I seem to remember Johnny Morris dulcet toned voice narrating.

Guy

That was a programme called "One Iron Horse, Handle With Care". Often shown as a filler programme when the BBC needed to fill time such as when the cricket was rained off. I can't find it anywhere though.

It was mainly showing Mike Lawrence and his crew as they moved GWR 51xx 2-6-2T 5193 (now 9351) from Barry Scrapyard to Southport. The date was 1979. I remember it well even though I was only 9 at the time.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/5846-2/

The owner was Dave Rawlinson who also owned the Pooley Van mentioned above and a few other GWR vehicles. He was also a prominent member of the Liverpool Locomotive Preservation Group. He unfortunately died a few years ago.

Jason

Jason is quite correct - "One Iron Horse - handle with care" was made by BBC Bristol and I still have a copy, now transferred to DVD from a copy of the VHS given to Dave by the Beeb so the quality isn't great.  I remember it well with many long days down at Barry and getting home in the early hours of Monday mornings in time to go to work!  If you get a chance to watch the film (it's well made - honest!) I'm 7298's fireman in the unloading scenes but the cameraman spends a lot of time focussed on Rawley's ex-wife's magnificent chest!

As regards the Pooley van Derek sold it to Dave Rawlinson when he replaced it with another Pooley van, this time an ex LNW 6 wheel CCT now at LLan. It is a shame that things worked out the way they did for Dave as he was a great guy but his boundless enthusiasm led him to take on far too much for one person and it all went horribly wrong for him. We spent many years working together at Southport and chasing trains all over the country - happy days!

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Back in 2007 my better half and I enjoyed a day on the Strathspey Railway, where we were steam hauled by a 'Jinty'; she was painted up as 'Thomas the Tank Engine'.  Does anyone know what her real identity was?  I did have photos but they were lost some time ago.

The above also got me thinking!  The repaint was thorough so I imagine that she would also have run on other railways in the same livery as I assume repainting would be expensive.  Does anyone know where, when?

Taking this further what were the other 'Jinties' that also passed themselves off as Thomas?

Thanks for any help, pointers, etc, on this.

Regards,

Alex.

Yes, that is what they would do on some heritage railways in the UK. And while we're at it, what about N Class painted to resemble James the Red Engine on the Mid-Hants Railway?

• 4 weeks later...

Marshall5- cheeky question but any chance of a copy of "One Iron Horse- Handle With Care"? We had it recorded on video but my mother threw it out when my dad died a few years back so sadly I am unable to watch it.  Would LOVE to see it again- first saw it when I was a small lad (about 8 year old I think) and I thought it was a great documentary.

Certainly was 47298, was volunteering around that time. Believe it visited 3 times for Thomas events before most railways knocked it on the head. I seem to remember it working a number of non-Thomas related service trains as well. Before that, it was Lord Roberts from Bo'ness before that was withdrawn. I don't recall any other Jinties being painted up as Thomas as they'd have to pay licensing fees etc that were astronomical. 

Marshall5- cheeky question but any chance of a copy of "One Iron Horse- Handle With Care"? We had it recorded on video but my mother threw it out when my dad died a few years back so sadly I am unable to watch it.  Would LOVE to see it again- first saw it when I was a small lad (about 8 year old I think) and I thought it was a great documentary.

Sorry, but as it's a transfer from a copy of a copy of a VHS tape the quality really isn't good enough.  Apparently it still shows on TV occasionally and someone is bound to post it on Youtube - if it's not there already.

Ray.

• 1 year later...
On 30/12/2018 at 23:44, Granite-Yorkie said:

I have found it on line. I hope you enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1