OO works in three shoeboxes

Thank you all three. @johnsmithuk; I didn't use it in the end, as the pre-corrugated card I found was much less work. I finished the roof by laying strips, scored vertically to represent individual sheets. I painted it with poster paint and added some green flock for moss. I also cut out 6 skylights, which allow light inside as well as helping the operator to be able to see the wagons.

Other work in the past 10 days was pretty much just fine detailing the layout. It includes:

> Completing ground cover, including some sections of the "fiddle yard" that can be seen through the bridge

> Installing "point control" - a length of stiff wire from each point to the front

> Adding a (static) banner repeater signal

> Printing signage and remaining sections of wall

> Adding more general foliage and weeds

> Fixing some sleepers to the front siding as a makeshift buffer

> Testing and adding clear plastic uncouplers to the shed roads

> Adding a brick water butt in front of the shed; notably no gutters or drainpipes yet though!

> Extending the headshunt a couple of inches to accommodate a loco and 3 wagons better

> Painting; fence, scenic point levers, sky, visible sections of box, me...

> Building a crude stock tray that fits in the main shed to restrain rolling stock during transport

> Buying a forklift and a wheeled excavator at the local railway exhibition

The consequence is that I am pretty willing to consider the layout "finished". I tested packing everything into the two boxes, and carried it into the living room. I discovered the track entrance/exits to the main box make excellent handholds, and even with everything inside they're pretty light. Then I unpacked it:

post-32148-0-99729300-1537285213_thumb.png

The layout can now be operated! It works as a 3-3-5 Inglenook shunting puzzle, hence the space to lay out 5 wagon cards along the front. I often run a CCT or lowmac as part of the fleet, both of which are counted as two wagons. I took the following photos as "layout completed"; enjoy the show!

post-32148-0-08496400-1537285381_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-71796000-1537285433_thumb.jpg

The entrance sign reads "H&DR GREEN LANE WAGON WORKS". H&DR is the name of my fictional preserved railway my main layout depicts, and Green Lane is the name of a road that runs alongside the course of the local disused branch line. I suppose that's the name of the layout now!

post-32148-0-53512500-1537285450_thumb.jpg

When I came to build the signal, I discovered I didn't have a whole spare post as I thought. All that was left was a lot of left-over components, so I created this non-functioning wall-mounted banner repeater instead. You can also see into the fiddle yard from this angle, so I continued the ballast, wall and grass slightly so it didn't look too odd.

post-32148-0-85575000-1537285612_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-72983100-1537285657_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the one "unfinished" corner of the layout. I'm not quite sure what to do with it; it's got to be left pretty empty so the front can still fold up. I like the excavator though; it looks good, it adds a purpose to the front siding and also firmly sets the date in the present.

post-32148-0-88066700-1537285808_thumb.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of the uncouplers. I think they're a bit too tall as it can be difficult to draw stock out the shed without uncoupling, but they work reliably and are quite hidden.

post-32148-0-62240300-1537285797_thumb.jpg

So that's probably it for now. I've certainly found this a very enjoyable project. I would state here roughly how much it cost me to build, but it's not really fair; a lot of materials are leftovers from the main layout, or simply printed. The only things bought specifically were the point and the excavator, a total of £15 I think!

I'm going back to Swansea University on Sunday. Either I take this with me and set it up as a shelf layout, or I leave it at home and come back to it at Christmas. Either way there won't be any work until next summer, so this topic will rest at the buffers for now. Any comments, criticisms or questions are welcome, and finally thank you all for following me along!

• Like 9

Thank you all three. @johnsmithuk; I didn't use it in the end, as the pre-corrugated card I found was much less work. I finished the roof by laying strips, scored vertically to represent individual sheets. I painted it with poster paint and added some green flock for moss. I also cut out 6 skylights, which allow light inside as well as helping the operator to be able to see the wagons.

Other work in the past 10 days was pretty much just fine detailing the layout. It includes:

> Completing ground cover, including some sections of the "fiddle yard" that can be seen through the bridge

> Installing "point control" - a length of stiff wire from each point to the front

> Adding a (static) banner repeater signal

> Printing signage and remaining sections of wall

> Adding more general foliage and weeds

> Fixing some sleepers to the front siding as a makeshift buffer

> Testing and adding clear plastic uncouplers to the shed roads

> Adding a brick water butt in front of the shed; notably no gutters or drainpipes yet though!

> Extending the headshunt a couple of inches to accommodate a loco and 3 wagons better

> Painting; fence, scenic point levers, sky, visible sections of box, me...

> Building a crude stock tray that fits in the main shed to restrain rolling stock during transport

> Buying a forklift and a wheeled excavator at the local railway exhibition

The consequence is that I am pretty willing to consider the layout "finished". I tested packing everything into the two boxes, and carried it into the living room. I discovered the track entrance/exits to the main box make excellent handholds, and even with everything inside they're pretty light. Then I unpacked it:

attachicon.gif9. Setting it up (10).png

The layout can now be operated! It works as a 3-3-5 Inglenook shunting puzzle, hence the space to lay out 5 wagon cards along the front. I often run a CCT or lowmac as part of the fleet, both of which are counted as two wagons. I took the following photos as "layout completed"; enjoy the show!

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (1).JPG

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (4).JPG

The entrance sign reads "H&DR GREEN LANE WAGON WORKS". H&DR is the name of my fictional preserved railway my main layout depicts, and Green Lane is the name of a road that runs alongside the course of the local disused branch line. I suppose that's the name of the layout now!

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (5).JPG

When I came to build the signal, I discovered I didn't have a whole spare post as I thought. All that was left was a lot of left-over components, so I created this non-functioning wall-mounted banner repeater instead. You can also see into the fiddle yard from this angle, so I continued the ballast, wall and grass slightly so it didn't look too odd.

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (6).JPG

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (9).JPG

This photo shows the one "unfinished" corner of the layout. I'm not quite sure what to do with it; it's got to be left pretty empty so the front can still fold up. I like the excavator though; it looks good, it adds a purpose to the front siding and also firmly sets the date in the present.

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (13).JPG

This is the best shot I could get of the uncouplers. I think they're a bit too tall as it can be difficult to draw stock out the shed without uncoupling, but they work reliably and are quite hidden.

attachicon.gif9. 'Finished' photos (10).JPG

So that's probably it for now. I've certainly found this a very enjoyable project. I would state here roughly how much it cost me to build, but it's not really fair; a lot of materials are leftovers from the main layout, or simply printed. The only things bought specifically were the point and the excavator, a total of £15 I think!

I'm going back to Swansea University on Sunday. Either I take this with me and set it up as a shelf layout, or I leave it at home and come back to it at Christmas. Either way there won't be any work until next summer, so this topic will rest at the buffers for now. Any comments, criticisms or questions are welcome, and finally thank you all for following me along!

Great little project TechnicArrow! Good luck with your studies and look forward to your next layout?

Marlyn

• RMweb Premium

When I first read about your project, I didn’t think it would work. I’m delighted to be proved wrong. You’ve made a great little layout which looks good, is easily portable, can be operated properly and cost virtually nothing. That’s real railway modelling and you should be very proud of what you have achieved. I do hope you get a few exhibition invites as your layout proves that you don’t need money or space to have a model railway.

PS as to that space you need to fill, how about a skip with the excavator moving stuff between wagons and skip?

Great little project TechnicArrow! Good luck with your studies and look forward to your next layout?

Marlyn

Thank you; I'm not sure I'll be building another layout soon though, as this one was only to use up some spare parts really. I might post the story and photos of my main permanent, round-the-room layout or the other nearly-complete side project over the weekend.

When I first read about your project, I didn’t think it would work. I’m delighted to be proved wrong. You’ve made a great little layout which looks good, is easily portable, can be operated properly and cost virtually nothing. That’s real railway modelling and you should be very proud of what you have achieved. I do hope you get a few exhibition invites as your layout proves that you don’t need money or space to have a model railway.

PS as to that space you need to fill, how about a skip with the excavator moving stuff between wagons and skip?

Thanks very much, those words were lovely to read. Although, I'm not sure it would stand out, be easy to display, or interesting enough to operate at length at an exhibition.

The space I was referring to was the very back corner, between the shed and side (curved-top) wall. It's difficult to fill as it needs to be open to allow the side wall to slide into it when the front folds up. I think a loose chimney, pipe, or other tall/thin structure is needed, but I'm not sure exactly what.

Anyway, it's not going to happen soon; I've moved back to Swansea for the term, and I decided not to bring this with me. I could have done (There's a suitable space in my room, it seems), but the risk of damage during transport or by being in a student house made me leave it. I'm slightly regretting that, but I suspect once lectures resume I won't have a great deal of spare time anyway.

Until Christmas, little one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What an excellent piece of modelling, like ColinK I was a little sceptical at first but you've produced some great results here - even more impressive considering what it cost.  Well done!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And I'm back! Actually, I've been back for two weeks now, and I've never stopped reading these boards, but anyway.

There has been small progress on Green Lane Wagon Works. Mainly, I've re-purposed a Wills yard crane from the main layout.

post-32148-0-10717500-1546002908_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-82266100-1546003038_thumb.jpg

However, as you can see this isn't just a static model. Whilst I was at Uni, I came up with an ingenious plan to use some meccano bits to control it.

To implement this, the main upright support was replaced by a tube of rolled-up paper. This tube passes through the platform surface to a large gear beneath, whilst at the same time allowing the thread to run down onto to a spindle. I originally planned to operate the large gear from a worm gear, but it was easier to engage it with a smaller gear operated by the oil drum on top. 

post-32148-0-91757300-1546003103_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-37098700-1546003239_thumb.jpg

The platform's slightly odd shape is to allow it to be used on the main layout as well; the thread spindle needs to be slid through as the track is on the other side, but otherwise it simply drops into place on both.

Regarding the freight; the oil drum is made from the glossy black paper, often found in advert borders on railway magazines. I also cut a lot of spare sleepers from their webbing, glued them into blocks and painted them; they've turned out rather well. Other loads are proprietary items with threads attached.

post-32148-0-01037100-1546003519_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-46468900-1546003932_thumb.jpg

The other main news is that I've started work on a new box. Clearly I like to challenge myself, as there's just one week before I go back to University!

The intention is to replace the "fiddle-lid" headshunt with another full scenic box, as the trains are hardly visible otherwise. I hope to frame it with the arch bridge mirrored on the left, and a skewed girder bridge (with the tracks stopping underneath) on the right. There will be a dummy siding in the foreground to store stock not being used in the shunting puzzle, and a factory-building with canopied loading dock (a lá Metcalfe PO283, but in stone) at the back.

post-32148-0-66953700-1546003602_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-57094200-1546003724_thumb.jpg

So far it's exactly the look I want, so let's see if I can get it done!

• Like 5

Thank you both! 
@Clover - it's not all that easy unfortunately, the original two boxes have three tracks crossing the join, all at different angles. It is possible to wriggle them into place, but it's such a pain that it doesn't happen too often. The plan was to leave it out assembled, but as you'll see later that fell through.

@johnsmithuk - thanks! I've had the idea knocking around my head for ages. I think it would be a great feature to see on a proper exhibition layout, and it prompts more realistic operation - the wagons stop being fixed and become merely empty vessels to move your cargo around, as in real life. And, of course, it's great fun to play with.  :senile:

As for the new shoebox - It seems my plan for small, regular updates has failed, as it's finished. Oops! There was a rush to get it done in time for coming back to Uni, but it got done and survived the 150 mile car journey, so all's well.

The build process then. First, the slewed girder bridge was roughed out:

post-32148-0-22570800-1546722414_thumb.jpg

Then the warehouse and arched bridge were built. I carefully used the remaining parts from the kit I built the main workshed out of, to give some continuity (and to save printer ink!).

post-32148-0-05867200-1546722492_thumb.jpg

Next, the track was glued, the platform built under the warehouse, and a little wedge-shaped "tower" added. This fills an awkward corner, and provides an entrance to the warehouse from road level - an idea I entirely stole from Booking Hall's Brierly Canal Road (a very inspiring layout btw, I don't think I've said)!

post-32148-0-74364100-1546722574_thumb.jpg

Then the embankment was made up, and little bits of stonework added around. That bufferstop is the gravel bin I made earlier, it fits rather well with a little adjustment.

post-32148-0-38762400-1546722630_thumb.jpg

Finally the various ground cover was added; soil for the ballast, sand and green flock on the arched bridge for a farm track, black paint for the main road. (I'm not a fan of using soil, and the stuff I had left was pretty coarse, but it had to match the other boxes so I stuck with it.)

This morning I brought it to uni, set it on the dresser in the alcove I planned it to fit, and...

post-32148-0-65923600-1546722814_thumb.jpg

Oops!  :banghead:  I was expecting a tight fit, but it actually doesn't go by about 10mm. I'll have to see if I can take that off somewhere, but I think it will be tricky. In the mean time, it's going to have to be operated on my bed:

post-32148-0-98985700-1546722915_thumb.jpg

It still works though, and although the lighting's not great I took a handful of "finished" photos.

post-32148-0-26170300-1546723004_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-71653100-1546723017_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-83269200-1546723125_thumb.jpg

The workmen on the bridge are rebuilding the wall by the looks of it. They add interest to the otherwise flat road, and look better to me than cars oddly static, going nowhere. The farm track works especially well I think, and the loose foliage hides the join between the boxes. The electrical cabinets against the wing wall are from Wordsworth online, and excuse the power cables running to the track.

Overall I'm pretty happy, despite the mis-measurement. This box looks far better than the original plain lid, I'm sure I'll get it to fit eventually, and even if not then at least I've got something pretty to look at now and then. In the mean time, thanks for reading!

• Like 9

Thanks for your kind words, Jerry and Luke!

Space solution is easy, all you need is a sledgehammer and a sympathetic landlord.  :sungum:

I can see that going down well... he's a good landlord, yes, but I don't think he'd appreciate modifications to the integrity of the room!  :no:

And anyhow, I have sorted it for now; the layout fits nicely on my desk. 

post-32148-0-27007400-1547068027_thumb.jpg

Here, it can benefit from natural lighting (I'm not worried about direct sunlight, that never happens in Swansea!) and it's actually level. I discovered that as my house is slightly leaning downhill, so is my room, and so is that chest of drawers I sat the layout on... meaning "rolling stock" takes on a whole new meaning! :mosking:  It's impossible to keep wagons in the sidings when it's there, but the desk is perpendicular to the slope so it's unaffected. Phew.

On the other hand, this afternoon's planned running session failed on the major account that the shunter didn't run. Not strictly true; it jittered along, but really couldn't cope.

I blame both a) my appalling track; lots of little dodgy connections add up to being nearly unusable, even after a good cleaning, and b) the loco has gritted up by the sound of it. Both things I can sort... but not here and now, as I have very few tools available. I'll work on sorting those out, and then hopefully shooting a video, in the free week I have after my exams are over. In the mean time however I can pose pictures, so that's what I did instead.

post-32148-0-84698600-1547067859_thumb.jpg

D2280 retrieves a PWay wagon from alongside the crane.

post-32148-0-08541200-1547067878_thumb.jpg

Looking over the yard's fence, at a quiet moment during the shunt.

Whilst it's not immediately obvious, having the third scenic box under the bridge is a massive improvement over the original blank fiddle yard - compare it with the photo at the top of this page.

post-32148-0-47241500-1547069183_thumb.jpg

The yard doesn't stay still for long; D2280 carefully positions more wagons in the workshed.

post-32148-0-29917200-1547067918_thumb.jpg

Finally, looking over the road bridge parapet as D2280 draws two wagons out of the yard, to who knows where?

As always, thanks for following along!

• Like 10

Thank you both! I've enjoyed sharing the works, and I'm glad you've enjoyed reading about it!

This afternoon I managed to get the layout running reasonably well, so I set about filming it. I hope you enjoy the resulting video!

Despite appearances, the layout didn't run particularly smoothly! Each shot took anywhere between 2 and 10 times to get right, with plenty of track cleaning between takes. I also cut and smoothed over some of the longer hesitations. The working crane was filmed in action as well, but I'll save that for another time. Edited by TechnicArrow
  • Like 3

Having got 4 out of my 6 exams done, I set the boxes up for another run. I figured the main cause of poor running was that the link wire I soldered under the points (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136436-oo-works-in-three-shoeboxes/?p=3267747) must be disconnected. Given the limited tools available, my solution was to unbend a paperclip, and link it across the rails at the left end of the track. Unglamorous, but it works!

This morning I shot and edited together some clips of the crane working:

Afterwards I thought I'd add some details and tips for anyone who wants to to build one too.

This refers to the Wills SS51 Yard Crane kit. It should be possible with other varieties of crane, but I haven't tried. My attempt also suffers from lack of space; all the mechanism is contained within the platform, rather than below ground. It would be easier, more stable and more reliable if space below the baseboard is available to install the gears, although the crane does need to be at platform height to reach into and unload wagons.

post-32148-0-31503400-1547815531.png

(Original picture source: http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Wills/Wills_Yard_Crane/Wills_kleiner_Kran.html)

The main element of this is replacing the upright post (A) with a meccano-shaft-diameter tube. I made mine out of rolled-up paper, and it works surprisingly well. This tube is fixed under the hole of the upper plate ©, passes through and is fixed to the lower plate (B), and sits free to rotate in a hole in the ground.

The baseplate (B) has a hole it in already, but I reamed this out by hand with a drill bit to allow the tube to pass below to ground level. The ground hole is reinforced by a mecanno plate above and below; the larger the vertical distance between them is, the more stable the crane will be.

post-32148-0-53331700-1547815595_thumb.jpg

Below deck, a large mecanno gear is held onto the tube via its grub screw. This could be left as-is, driven by worm gear, or as I've done by a smaller pinion gear. Also down here, the cable is spooled on another shaft. Following it's route upwards, it first passes over a roller guiding it into the tube, then up through the tube,  over another roller at the top, and finally up and over the tip of the crane.

post-32148-0-24745200-1547815580_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-00492700-1547815559_thumb.jpg

It's important that all the points the cable passes over on the crane are as frictionless as possible; I found a thin layer of PVA glue helps smooth over the gap between the parts at the very top of the crane. My roller at the base isn't as good though, and the hook needs assistance when lowering. The final step is to replace the hook from the kit with something much heavier, in order to help it descend under gravity. That's all there is to it!

It's certainly a great addition to any goods yard; if you're going to put a crane in, why not make it work? It also encourages realistic freight operation, as the wagons are simply vessels carrying your cargo, rather than being moved around aimlessly. Give it a go!

Edited by TechnicArrow
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thank you both! 

@Clover - it's not all that easy unfortunately, the original two boxes have three tracks crossing the join, all at different angles. It is possible to wriggle them into place, but it's such a pain that it doesn't happen too often. The plan was to leave it out assembled, but as you'll see later that fell through.

@johnsmithuk - thanks! I've had the idea knocking around my head for ages. I think it would be a great feature to see on a proper exhibition layout, and it prompts more realistic operation - the wagons stop being fixed and become merely empty vessels to move your cargo around, as in real life. And, of course, it's great fun to play with.  :senile:

As for the new shoebox - It seems my plan for small, regular updates has failed, as it's finished. Oops! There was a rush to get it done in time for coming back to Uni, but it got done and survived the 150 mile car journey, so all's well.

The build process then. First, the slewed girder bridge was roughed out:

attachicon.gif12. The girder bridge (1).JPG

Then the warehouse and arched bridge were built. I carefully used the remaining parts from the kit I built the main workshed out of, to give some continuity (and to save printer ink!).

attachicon.gif13. Arched bridge & warehouse (2).JPG

Next, the track was glued, the platform built under the warehouse, and a little wedge-shaped "tower" added. This fills an awkward corner, and provides an entrance to the warehouse from road level - an idea I entirely stole from Booking Hall's Brierly Canal Road (a very inspiring layout btw, I don't think I've said)!

attachicon.gif14. Tower & Embankment (4).JPG

Then the embankment was made up, and little bits of stonework added around. That bufferstop is the gravel bin I made earlier, it fits rather well with a little adjustment.

attachicon.gif15. Stonework & Cut-out (2).JPG

Finally the various ground cover was added; soil for the ballast, sand and green flock on the arched bridge for a farm track, black paint for the main road. (I'm not a fan of using soil, and the stuff I had left was pretty coarse, but it had to match the other boxes so I stuck with it.)

This morning I brought it to uni, set it on the dresser in the alcove I planned it to fit, and...

attachicon.gif16. Finally set up (1).JPG

Oops!  :banghead:  I was expecting a tight fit, but it actually doesn't go by about 10mm. I'll have to see if I can take that off somewhere, but I think it will be tricky. In the mean time, it's going to have to be operated on my bed:

attachicon.gif16. Finally set up (2).JPG

It still works though, and although the lighting's not great I took a handful of "finished" photos.

attachicon.gif16. Finally set up (4).JPG

attachicon.gif16. Finally set up (7).JPG

attachicon.gif16. Finally set up (11).JPG

The workmen on the bridge are rebuilding the wall by the looks of it. They add interest to the otherwise flat road, and look better to me than cars oddly static, going nowhere. The farm track works especially well I think, and the loose foliage hides the join between the boxes. The electrical cabinets against the wing wall are from Wordsworth online, and excuse the power cables running to the track.

Overall I'm pretty happy, despite the mis-measurement. This box looks far better than the original plain lid, I'm sure I'll get it to fit eventually, and even if not then at least I've got something pretty to look at now and then. In the mean time, thanks for reading!

Thanks for the kind words TechnicArrow. Glad I could help you out of an 'awkward corner'!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over the past two months not a lot's happened; my Uni work has resumed, with the result that the desk can't be given over to operating trains all that often. Nonetheless the layout's been out and behaved itself a few times, so I thought I'd share a couple of "atmospheric" shots I took; an unexpectedly sunny day, my windowsill, and a poor phone camera combine to make some good "misty morning" photos.

20_In_natural_sunlight_(1).JPG.0c5c57ed5b48ab2ef2fd194915aadaf6.JPG

22._More_sunlight_(3).JPG.0a56c483b385d79ec2beb4b5c1d9a5f4.JPG

The other news is that with the success of the working Wills crane, I decided I'd try the next level up: a crane with moving boom, slewing and winch. I bought the cheapest yet most suitable model I could find, the Kibri kits "Fuchs 301 excavator" (really it's a crane with a clamshell bucket).

I didn't glue it together, as I'll need to get some of the mechanism inside it, even though most of the workings will be below ground level. Nonetheless it holds itself upright, so I posed it on the layout. 

23._A_crane_arrives_(3).JPG.69159f1e1a2f2ee34b23fd32d896e18c.JPG

It's rather smaller than I was expecting; I knew it was HO rather than OO gauge, but it even seems small next to the HO backhoe loader. I think that the high-level cab helps to give it enough "presence".

When I'm home over the Easter holidays (in 5 weeks time) I'll build the mechanism underneath and inside, and possibly give it a lick of paint to "anglicise" it. I'd certainly like to tone down the red chassis, even though it's prototypical. I'm not sure about the superstructure; the plastic has a good texture to it already with many fine details, but the lure of dark gloss green or red might be too tempting.

Now I know what you're thinking: with a tall mechanism beneath it, it won't fit on this flat, table-top layout anymore! What a shame, I might have to build a new one then. Perhaps a canal-side warehouse scene, with working wagon turntables and rope-shunting too... ;)

• Like 6