Sure Sound and Rail Rumble - Class 66

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

post-28458-0-30250600-1533904798.jpgpost-28458-0-70412000-1533904807.jpg

Hatton's Class 66 Sure Sound

We are excited to be able to reveal our new Sound for our forthcoming Class 66 project in OO.  We have teamed up with Legomanbiffo (Ian Bishop) to record and mix the best sounds possible to give the most realistic looking and sounding 66 yet! The new sounds will be called Sure Sound and will be the basis for all of the sounds we produce for our own locomotives.  We are also launching a new speaker to compliment the sounds, the Rail Rumble. This forms a powerful unit capable of much higher quality sound than in other factory fit installations.

post-28458-0-30250600-1533904798.jpg

Sure Sound “projects” have quality and realism at their core.  They are recorded and mastered by the best people in the industry and only ever recorded from the original locomotives or archive recordings where the original is not available.  For recording the 66 we used:

• 4 high quality microphones linked to a top specification recording device

• 2 handheld recorders

• Separately recorded sounds for each element

• Recorded with people that use the locomotive in day-to-day service

• Over 5 hours recording with the locomotive

Sure Sound is standard with our sound fitted Class 66 and will also feature 6 lighting functions to allow independent control of lights using the newest version of the ESU Loksound decoder.

post-28458-0-70412000-1533904807.jpg

The Rail Rumble speaker is a step up from the ordinary speakers normally included in manufacturers own sound locomotives.  If you have great sounds, you need a great speaker to enjoy them. We have worked hard to find a speaker that is small enough to comfortably fit inside the body of the 66 and still give an excellent quality of sound.  Fitting and usage have also been taken into consideration, with a simple screw fit into the locomotive and plug and socket for the cables, it is very easy to use (although for the sound locos it is already pre-fitted).  The unit also has its own resonance chamber so there is no messy black tac or glue to remove, if there is a need to move the speaker.

Overall these two products are a massive progression from the normal standard of sound that modellers have come to expect from a factory fitted sound locomotive.

We have produced a video to show how we have collected the sounds which can be seen below.

Locomotives fitted with Sure Sound and Rail Rumble can be ordered on THIS page of our website.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

How fortuitous ‘someone’ left a class 66 there earlier in the week!

D4C79E61-4EF2-4833-8B4B-ADD8BF9CBEE5.jpg

59B07AA1-6F7E-405D-A2F9-4234DCFA3035.jpg

Don’t forget 847 doesn’t have the start up claxon sound, also low emission 66s don’t do the 3 cycle ‘non fire’ before starting, lots of variations to be had!

Horn wise I hope you recorded a ‘short stab’ too

I had a DB 66 last week with auto stop start enabled, are you plannng on doing that with the DB version, I’d never had one before and wondered what the heck was going on when it started beeping at me and shut down!

Deffo gonna go for a sound version now I know it’s a biffo project

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well that won't sound right at all, no use revving it up with no load !

Load on the alternator makes the engine note change massively so unless you have some loaded recordings it will basically sound like the driver is revving it in idle to speed the compressor up

Sorry to be a downer but that's how it works I'm afraid

• Agree 1

This is great news indeed.

Delighted Hattons have decided to use Legomanbiffo and credit to them for not only introducing their own range of locos but their own sound too!

Looking forward to 'Sure Sound'.

No pressure then :-)

What you have seen here is only part of the story. I already have loaded Class 66 engine recordings, and I’m making enquiries to see if we can do more to make the Hattons version unique. Gaining access and recording locos on the main line is not straightforward but rest assured attempts will be made. We did it before with the 68 so hopefully we can do it again.

The Shrewsbury session was important as it helped me capture ancillary sounds that I didn’t have before (eg the radar hiss), and to improve upon those I did have (eg train and loco brake sounds). It’s all of this variation which makes a sound project more interesting, and increases ‘play value’ and value for money.

With the 66 being such a widespread and familiar loco it’s important that we capture all of it’s character, sublety and variation. To this end I’m interested to hear first of all what audible variations people are aware of so I can try and capture and incorporate them into the project. Then I’d like to know what features you’d like to see incorporated, particularly those which existing sound chips don’t have.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bif

• Like 5

The low emission locos compressors sound slightly different. Then there are the horns the early build freightliner locos 501-537 don't have the option of soft tones. Later ones do and some low emission locos have really quiet horns. Glad you have got the radar hiss on it.

A question for Bif if I may... 

If I were to purchase a pair of Hatton's 66s: one with sound and one non-sound - but then later on fit a separately purchased DC-Kits/Legomanbiffo sound kit to this latter model - then what might the differences be please?  Essentially, what might the features/benefits and/or disadvantages be of one system compared with the other?

thank you kindly...

Al

Edited by YesTor

Something I don't recall seeing discussed. Some locos, when working hard, sound very different in the cab or onboard, from how they sound at the lineside going past. A classic example would be the Class 68 at full throttle, which, from the outside, has a very distinctive "series of explosions" from the exhaust. This means that a modeller wanting to replicate the experience of being on the platform or at the lineside as a loco passes, might have different requirements from someone wanting to simulate driving the loco.

Edited by Mike Buckner

The low emission locos compressors sound slightly different. Then there are the horns the early build freightliner locos 501-537 don't have the option of soft tones. Later ones do and some low emission locos have really quiet horns. Glad you have got the radar hiss on it.

The compressor is more thumpy sounding on the low emission ones isn't it.

With the horns, all the low emission ones I've heard and been on (across different operators), the tone is a lot softer than the sharp bark of the early 66 horns

Jo

• RMweb Gold

The compressor is more thumpy sounding on the low emission ones isn't it.

With the horns, all the low emission ones I've heard and been on (across different operators), the tone is a lot softer than the sharp bark of the early 66 horns

Jo

That’s what I meant about the ‘short stab’ horn sound it’s quite a ‘punchy’ note that doesn’t fade

Just as you think the bar is at its highest, Hattons yet again raise it far beyond I could ever imagine! All I can say is this is one hell of a project and cannot wait for the end result. Fantastic insight too as to what’s involved and how they are achieving such a high standard in both detail and sound. Dave may want to add a warning before anymore posts are made as a box of tissues may not be in reach...

Something else different on the low emission ones, the exhaust note sounds deeper and is more audible over the sound of the "yinging". They also sound raspier when passing by on the main line. Put it this way, you can tell the difference without looking out the cabin window

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Gold

Morning Hatton's Dave,

Two quick questions if I may:

1) What decoder are you planning on fitting?

2) Is there a way to convert an order from non-sound to sound other than cancel and reorder?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

A question for Bif if I may... 

If I were to purchase a pair of Hatton's 66s: one with sound and one non-sound - but then later on fit a separately purchased DC-Kits/Legomanbiffo sound kit to this latter model - then what might the differences be please?  Essentially, what might the features/benefits and/or disadvantages be of one system compared with the other?

thank you kindly...

Al

All Decoder fitted in the Locomotives will be ESU with the specially commisioned Hattons files.  We have agreed that these files will be available either from Hattons seperatly or from DCKits/Legomanbiffo Online or at shows.  These decoders will have some unique features when we have completed the project for Hattons.

This loco will be brilliant in comparison to other 66s on the market and will, on DCC it will do so much more.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 2

Jim,

When you say ‘short stab’ horns do you mean short in duration? I edited the horns from the Shrewsbury recording session today and it’s possible to do very short ‘blips’ of both tones, even with my press on-press off controller. Both tones are playable of course, so you can play tones of any length.

I’ve also completed the first draft of the radar hiss flowchart. From what I can tell you get one blast just after pulling away and then every 25s thereafter when moving. Can anyone confirm that or add anything?

Bif

• RMweb Gold

Yes a ‘blip’ in the horn is what I mean, I know the loco you used at shrewsbury can do it as it has a simple 2 way horn lever as opposed to a 4 way with ‘soft tone’ setting

The radar hiss is pretty random really, agreed it comes in once you go into direction but personally I’d have it set on a random interval setting as every 25secs would get annoying in my opinion

• RMweb Gold

Morning Hatton's Dave,

Two quick questions if I may:

1) What decoder are you planning on fitting?

2) Is there a way to convert an order from non-sound to sound other tan cancel and reorder?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Good Morning Roy,

1. All our factory sound-fitted Class 66s will feature an the latest 6-function ESU LokSound decoder. I'm not officially sure if it's being designated as the V5 but they're the latest all-singing all-dancing decoder from ESU.

2. If you want to amend an order for a Class 66 then you can contact our Helpdesk team via phone (0151 733 3655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) and they'll be more than happy to help in switching it over.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Good Morning Roy,

1. All our factory sound-fitted Class 66s will feature an the latest 6-function ESU LokSound decoder. I'm not officially sure if it's being designated as the V5 but they're the latest all-singing all-dancing decoder from ESU.

2. If you want to amend an order for a Class 66 then you can contact our Helpdesk team via phone (0151 733 3655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) and they'll be more than happy to help in switching it over.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

To ask the question that I think is being asked here:

Are you using a full-featured reprogrammable ESU LokSound decoder (e.g. the 54-400 or 54-499) or are you going to use a LokSound Select decoder?

ESU have not announced any "V5.0" decoder, and their current full-featured decoders have 4 amplified outputs.

The only "right size" decoders in their catalog with 6 function outputs are LokSound Select

Edited by keybuk

To ask the question that I think is being asked here:

Are you using a full-featured reprogrammable ESU LokSound decoder (e.g. the 54-400 or 54-499) or are you going to use a LokSound Select decoder?

ESU have not announced any "V5.0" decoder, and their current full-featured decoders have 4 amplified outputs.

The only "right size" decoders in their catalog with 6 function outputs are LokSound Select

AFAIK the latest Loksound V4 is the V4.3 which IF used with the latest ESU 51968 Adapter board gives access to 8 powered function outputs - FL RL + Aux 1 2 3 4 5 and 6.  Although I suspect Loksound SELECT's may be fitted to the 66's, similar to the Realtrack 156's - but with Bif's files pre-loaded what's to worry about - the lack of not being able to reblow SELECT decoders is unlikely to be an issue for most in this instance............