Sure Sound and Rail Rumble - Class 66

Hattons Dave

No pressure then :-)

What you have seen here is only part of the story. I already have loaded Class 66 engine recordings, and I’m making enquiries to see if we can do more to make the Hattons version unique. Gaining access and recording locos on the main line is not straightforward but rest assured attempts will be made. We did it before with the 68 so hopefully we can do it again.

The Shrewsbury session was important as it helped me capture ancillary sounds that I didn’t have before (eg the radar hiss), and to improve upon those I did have (eg train and loco brake sounds). It’s all of this variation which makes a sound project more interesting, and increases ‘play value’ and value for money.

With the 66 being such a widespread and familiar loco it’s important that we capture all of it’s character, sublety and variation. To this end I’m interested to hear first of all what audible variations people are aware of so I can try and capture and incorporate them into the project. Then I’d like to know what features you’d like to see incorporated, particularly those which existing sound chips don’t have.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bif

Hi Bif

In response to your request. 

The 66s that I often see and hear in West London (mostly on the Greenford branch) seem to have a rather different and very noticeable compressor sound when idling that you can hear clearly from 500m away. These are GBRF and ex EWS DB units and perhaps  older than  the Colas 66 you're recording. I did notice some wind noise on the recording but presumably you can lose that. Was that despite using a wind gag? . 

Edited by Pacific231G

AFAIK the latest Loksound V4 is the V4.3 which IF used with the latest ESU 51968 Adapter board gives access to 8 powered function outputs - FL RL + Aux 1 2 3 4 5 and 6.  Although I suspect Loksound SELECT's may be fitted to the 66's, similar to the Realtrack 156's - but with Bif's files pre-loaded what's to worry about - the lack of not being able to reblow SELECT decoders is unlikely to be an issue for most in this instance............ 

The adapter board just supplies an amplifier for the LokSound's un-amplified outputs - it's possible for the PCB of any model to do this.

Bif regularly updates his sound files.

I always prefer to self-fit a true LokSound decoder, and self-blow the sound, than use a Factory Fitted LokSound Select

• RMweb Gold

To ask the question that I think is being asked here:

Are you using a full-featured reprogrammable ESU LokSound decoder (e.g. the 54-400 or 54-499) or are you going to use a LokSound Select decoder?

ESU have not announced any "V5.0" decoder, and their current full-featured decoders have 4 amplified outputs.

The only "right size" decoders in their catalog with 6 function outputs are LokSound Select

Indeed, that was part of the answer that I was hoping for. Whilst Bifs sounds are very good, he does update them from time to time and I would rather have that option available.

Given it is stated that the sounds will be available separately, I would look to fit my own decoder if a Select was used as standard.

Best regards,

Roy

No pressure then :-)

What you have seen here is only part of the story. I already have loaded Class 66 engine recordings, and I’m making enquiries to see if we can do more to make the Hattons version unique. Gaining access and recording locos on the main line is not straightforward but rest assured attempts will be made. We did it before with the 68 so hopefully we can do it again.

The Shrewsbury session was important as it helped me capture ancillary sounds that I didn’t have before (eg the radar hiss), and to improve upon those I did have (eg train and loco brake sounds). It’s all of this variation which makes a sound project more interesting, and increases ‘play value’ and value for money.

With the 66 being such a widespread and familiar loco it’s important that we capture all of it’s character, sublety and variation. To this end I’m interested to hear first of all what audible variations people are aware of so I can try and capture and incorporate them into the project. Then I’d like to know what features you’d like to see incorporated, particularly those which existing sound chips don’t have.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bif

Its great and fantastic news to know that your have been recruited by Hattons to be doing the sound for the new class 66 model. I have much admired a lot of the work that you have done and your reputation has grown considerably over time. I know that when I started the move to sound, Bryan at Howes was setting the standard and in many cases still is for steam recordings and settings, but you have matched that standard with your own work with diesels, which is not an easy feat.

As far as class 66s are concerned, I think there are a few details that can be overlooked. To my knowledge the 66/0 first variant idles slower than the reconditioned 66/9 variant that came next. There are also differences in klaxon warning sounds, compressor that others have noticed. I'm not sure if some have a different horn fitted. Theres also the time it takes to release the brakes (the hiss from the system) can vary between when the engine gets underway and that might be something else to configure rather than having it set as a standard setting.

Part of the reason that explained why Bryans work excelled was also the sounds that were ancillary to activities going on around the engine. Things like buffer clank, track groan with the weight of the engine, and flange squeal were all done in a way that enhanced performance. I also know that this has often been the case with your work.

Perhaps the best outcome for your sound chips into the class 66 would be to incorporate the ability to change the lighting on the engine too. That way it can easily be operated to change the tail lights on and off, switch between night and day working, or shunting pending on the settings used and available on the chip. While some of this was done on the Dapol class 68, where the setting are placed might be something to consider to make operation on more systems that little bit easier - then roll out these settings as standard across the range.

Your involvement brings this project to a much better standard and finish than could have been done if Hattons stuck with their previous supplier. Will be interested to see how this develops and how the engines performs. I'm certainly looking forward (and saving madly) to get some.

This all looks/sounds very exciting! I appreciate the video too, it's nice to see behind the scenes. 

Without wanting to take things too far off-topic, but would someone be kind enough to explain the "radar hiss" please? I always thought it was something to do with clearing moisture from the air-system - clearly not! 

Kind regards, 

Matt

Think it going to be impressive.

Pardon the pun, but it sounds like the only things that could be added extra is a smoke generator and opening doors with rust around the edges, from how they were painted!  

I like it how Hattons say "Locomotives" from now on....May I suggest a Class 37 and Class 47 to the standards that will be set by the Class 66.  Should wake the neighbours!

Regards,

C.

Indeed, that was part of the answer that I was hoping for. Whilst Bifs sounds are very good, he does update them from time to time and I would rather have that option available.

Given it is stated that the sounds will be available separately, I would look to fit my own decoder if a Select was used as standard.

Best regards,

Roy

A valid point, but like the 156's, fitted with Selects, even if it was possible, question is, would the files required to updated, they already have it all ?  AFAIK the actual sounds would be no different on either Select or Loksound V4 ?  2 x Selects in the 156 is half the price of what 2 x Lok 4's would be, that's a no brainer................As for the sounds being available separately, if Selects are indeed factory fitted, it's likely these would be Selects also.

A valid point, but like the 156's, fitted with Selects, even if it was possible, question is, would the files required to updated, they already have it all ?  AFAIK the actual sounds would be no different on either Select or Loksound V4 ?  2 x Selects in the 156 is half the price of what 2 x Lok 4's would be, that's a no brainer................As for the sounds being available separately, if Selects are indeed factory fitted, it's likely these would be Selects also.

LokSound Select cannot have the sound files updated, proper LokSound V4 can

I realize that to some people this might not be important, but also to some of us, that is important

LokSound Select cannot have the sound files updated, proper LokSound V4 can

>> Agree - Hence I stated in my post "even if it was possible" ....................

I realize that to some people this might not be important, but also to some of us, that is important

>> Yep I'd agree with that also

Hi,

Can I please suggest adding 'Exploding Railway Detonators' to your sound files? ( L O U D ones, not some firework grade 'pop'... )

Probably a single 'Explosion' sound at a time so the user can activate it according to what they are doing with the Loco, either rescuing a failed Lima model or destroying loose dets on shed to avoid them getting into the hands of...miscreants :yes:

Good luck with this part of your project,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi,

Can I please suggest adding 'Exploding Railway Detonators' to your sound files? ( L O U D ones, not some firework grade 'pop'... )

Probably a single 'Explosion' sound at a time so the user can activate it according to what they are doing with the Loco, either rescuing a failed Lima model or destroying loose dets on shed to avoid them getting into the hands of...miscreants :yes:

Good luck with this part of your project,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

The Project will include Track Detonators, which are Speed Enabled: IE The faster you go the quicker the Bangs!!  Going Slower will obviously have slow Bangs.