AC and DC at Piccadilly

GoingUnderground

Despite Manchester London Road/Piccadilly having both DC and AC electrification for almost 20 years, I can't recall seeing any photos containing both AC traction and DC traction in the same shot at Piccadilly, especially one containing a Class 81 or any of its close cousins the 82/3/4/5/6/7s with either a Class 76 or a 77. Has anyone seen any such photos, or is this one of the great lost photo opportunities that has gone forever?

• RMweb Gold

Despite Manchester London Road/Piccadilly having both DC and AC electrification for almost 20 years, I can't recall seeing any photos containing both AC traction and DC traction in the same shot at Piccadilly, especially one containing a Class 81 or any of its close cousins the 82/3/4/5/6/7s with either a Class 76 or a 77. Has anyone seen any such photos, or is this one of the great lost photo opportunities that has gone forever?

We had a thread on this some time ago. Not sure if any photos of both type of locos came up but I think there were some with AC locos and DC EMUs.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a couple with a.c. and D.C. locos, but the geography of Piccadilly didn't make it easy. Sheffield trains used platforms 1-4 and were quite short, usually about 5 or 6 IIRC, so no further up than the footbridge or end of the roof. Eustons normally had 12 and mainly used platforms 5-7 so it was difficult to get both in unless you were on 13 when a Sheffield left passing a waiting Euston.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

We had a thread on this some time ago. Not sure if any photos of both type of locos came up but I think there were some with AC locos and DC EMUs.

I did look at the titles of all the Woodhead Route topics, but couldm't see one that might be relevant. But I'll look again.

I've seen a couple with a.c. and D.C. locos, but the geography of Piccadilly didn't make it easy. Sheffield trains used platforms 1-4 and were quite short, usually about 5 or 6 IIRC, so no further up than the footbridge or end of the roof. Eustons normally had 12 and mainly used platforms 5-7 so it was difficult to get both in unless you were on 13 when a Sheffield left passing a waiting Euston.

Thank you, I suspected that might be the reason, but as I've never been into the station I don't know the layout.

The second photo in post #6 was one of those I was thinking of.

The date ascribed to the photo, April 1968, might be a bit optimistic as the EM2s were all supposed to be withdrawn from traffic in early March, 1968. So it might just be one of the last visits made in traffic by an EM2 to Piccadilly.

Nevertheless, it doesn't detract from the photo, nor the pleasure it gives me to see an AC and a DC loco together.

Edited by GoingUnderground