BRM contributers

kirtleypete

Let me tell you a story. It's quite a long story.

Early this year I finished a 7mm scale model of Birmingham Snow Hill station, and I sent Andy an article about the model. The article appeared in the August issue of BRM, which came out on July 13th for digital and July 16th for the paper copy. A few days before that Andy e-mailed me asking for my bank details so the fee for the article could be paid by bank transfer. That means that my bank details have now been somewhere at Warners for nearly five weeks. 

At the time of writing no fee has been paid (11.50am on Tuesday August 14th, after the next issue of BRM has appeared). When ten days had passed since publication I e-mailed Andy and he said that there was a hold up because one of the writers had not sent their details and they couldn't contact him...fair enough, people do go on holiday at this time of year. 

On July 31st Andy told me that he had sent the bank details to the accounts department 'last week', so that's the week from the 23rd July to the 27th. This is in no way a criticism of Andy; he did everything he should have done. 

However, Warmer's accounts department have now had that information for three weeks!   I do bank transfers all the time so I know how long it takes - about thirty seconds. Warner's accounts department have had three weeks and still nothing has been done….a three toed sloth with a severe hangover could have acted faster than that! 

I don't write to get paid.....if I did I wouldn't write so many articles for magazines such as the 0 gauge Gazette. However, if payment Is offered I expect to receive it in a reasonable time. I had my first article published in the Modeller in 1975 and I have been writing ever since, for magazines in the UK, USA, Germany and France. Only once in all that time have I had to wait for payment for more than a week...and yes, it was Warner's again, my first article in BRM.

Some one at Bourne needs to go to the accounts department and blow the dust and cobwebs off them and kick a few backsides! Their attitude is one of utter contempt for the people that contribute to the magazine and basically keep it in business. I have supported BRM because I live locally and wanted to help if I could, but not any more. My subscription will not be renewed and I will certainly not be sending any more articles. 

If I sound furious, it's because that's exactly how I feel. 

Peter

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hello Peter,

I've looked into the matter and the below is from our accounts:

"This will be in his account on Thursday. His invoice was only dated 1st August and it missed the payment run the week it was received so it was put on the next payment run."

I trust this helps settle your worry over not being paid for your article.

• Like 1

I had no wory about not being paid Howard, I am hopping mad about the fact that it has taken over a month.  I don't know what you mean by 'his invoice' and 1st August - I e-mailed my information to Andy on about July 10th. What happened after that is out of my hands.

Are you seriously suggesting that it is only possible to process payments once a month?!!  

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I had no wory about not being paid Howard, I am hopping mad about the fact that it has taken over a month.  I don't know what you mean by 'his invoice' and 1st August - I e-mailed my information to Andy on about July 10th. What happened after that is out of my hands.

Are you seriously suggesting that it is only possible to process payments once a month?!!  

Peter

In fairness most large companies have defined payment runs, otherwise things can be a little chaotic , so once a month is not unusual. Most companies also operate 60 day terms for suppliers , a few 30 but some 90, so again as Tom Jones would chant "Its not unusual"