New Peco Website

irishmail

Just done a search for the plan of a Code 75 Curved Turnout SL-E186, result is the Code 100 version SL-86. :no:

Spoke with Andrew Burnham on Saturday. He said this is what you get when you leave things to professionals :scratchhead:

Noticed that their site has been programmed by Swanky Agency, suggest they leave the S out.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Search works for me

https://peco-uk.com/products/curved-turnout-large-radius-right-hand7

Just done a search for the plan of a Code 75 Curved Turnout SL-E186, result is the Code 100 version SL-86. :no:

Spoke with Andrew Burnham on Saturday. He said this is what you get when you leave things to professionals :scratchhead:

Noticed that their site has been programmed by Swanky Agency, suggest they leave the S out.

Brian

I was trying to find out what elements of 9mm gauge Setrack are available with their dimensions and I could find nothing useful. It seems to me the website is only for people who already have a copy of the latest catalogue.

I would not mind paying for a catalogue if I wanted a catalogue - after all it costs money to print and distribute.

But I don't see why I should have to buy a catalogue just to find out the facts about a few products.

If the cost of creating a proper website with product details is prohibitive (even though many smaller suppliers have them) why don't they just put a PDF copy of the catalogue on their website. I hardly think the profits from the sale of catalogues is a material item in their annual accounts.

...R

That result shows a picture of a Code 100 turnout, not the Code 75. Also the linked pdf file is the Code 100

Brian

Hi Brian

That's always been so. Because the geometry is identical for both Code 100 and Code 75, the same plan applies to both as well as to the dead frog Code 100. It's only items that are different where it's one or the other. For H0 I think that's just the 3-way,  which is symmetric for Code 100 and assymetric for code 75,   Since the plans are intended for printing out for 1 to 1 track planning there would be no purpose in separate 100 and 75 plans though they do have separate plans for the bullhead turnouts - so far large radius only in OO..

If you go to Help and Advice on the main banner Turnout and Crossing Plans is the second item on the drop down menus and that will take you straight to them You can then filter for the gauge and scale you're interested in.

I have to say that I've long found Peco's printable plans a really useful feature of their site and one that I've not yet found from any other track manufacturers. I'm glad it hasn't got lost in the altest version of their site.

Hi Brian

That's always been so. Because the geometry is identical for both Code 100 and Code 75, the same plan applies to both as well as to the dead frog Code 100. It's only items that are different where it's one or the other. For H0 I think that's just the 3-way,  which is symmetric for Code 100 and assymetric for code 75,   Since the plans are intended for printing out for 1 to 1 track planning there would be no purpose in separate 100 and 75 plans though they do have separate plans for the bullhead turnouts - so far large radius only in OO..

If you go to Help and Advice on the main banner Turnout and Crossing Plans is the second item on the drop down menus and that will take you straight to them You can then filter for the gauge and scale you're interested in.

I have to say that I've long found Peco's printable plans a really useful feature of their site and one that I've not yet found from any other track manufacturers. I'm glad it hasn't got lost in the altest version of their site.

Hi David,

When Peco introduced the Code 75 track they did not initially produce a new large template instead suggesting that the existing Code 100 template was suitable for both. It was only later with the introduction of the assymetric 3 way that they produced a new large template. On the old website a full set of Code 75 templates were available.

There are noticable differences between a Code 75 and a Code 100 turnout. The track centres of a Code 75 are wider making it difficult to keep to 51mm track centres if the turnout is part of a crossover.

The Code 75 is on the left, notice the nose of the crossing is also in a different place, basically the inner radius is a little tighter

post-23555-0-90392600-1538409206_thumb.jpg

The Code 75 is on the right with the wider track centres

post-23555-0-75948800-1538409226_thumb.jpg

Sadly with Peco's original statement of shared geometry, CAD programs such as Anyrail do not show the difference.

Brian

Hi David,

When Peco introduced the Code 75 track they did not initially produce a new large template instead suggesting that the existing Code 100 template was suitable for both. It was only later with the introduction of the assymetric 3 way that they produced a new large template. On the old website a full set of Code 75 templates were available.

There are noticable differences between a Code 75 and a Code 100 turnout. The track centres of a Code 75 are wider making it difficult to keep to 51mm track centres if the turnout is part of a crossover.

The Code 75 is on the left, notice the nose of the crossing is also in a different place, basically the inner radius is a little tighter

attachicon.gifPA011169.JPG

The Code 75 is on the right with the wider track centres

attachicon.gifPA011173.JPG

Sadly with Peco's original statement of shared geometry, CAD programs such as Anyrail do not show the difference.

Brian

Interesting Brian

There clearly has been some redesigning of the Code 75 trackwork.

This is a scan I've just done of two "new" (i.e. unused) points and the overall geometry is identical.

post-6882-0-83950600-1538592575_thumb.jpg

The crossing is finer on the Code 75 point as it doesn't have to be so "universal". That's also happened with the code 100 compared with mine (which is a few years old)  but not to the same extent. Otherwise the plastic mouldings for the timbers and sleepers are almost identical (there are some differences under the crossing and there is a void behind the code 75 tie bar) . Clearly the Code 75 points I have are an older design and changing their geometry to allow them to be trimmed for closer centres - I assume that's the reason- does call for a revised template; it's hardly a major task.  I'd still praise Peco for actually offering them as other track manufacturers don't. 

Any idea when the change to Code 75 products was made?

Are your scans of medium radius points?

Edited by Pacific231G

Hi David,

I think we've gone a little off track (groan). My original post #26 was referring to the Curved Turnout SL-E186, the "Curved" bit seems to have got lost in the following posts.

My pictures are of the Curved variety. I agree that the Code 75 and Code 100 small, medium and large radius turnouts share a common geometry, although Peco did provide on their old website the correct Code wise plans for each.

Brian

Hi David,

I think we've gone a little off track (groan). My original post #26 was referring to the Curved Turnout SL-E186, the "Curved" bit seems to have got lost in the following posts.

More than a little. This Thread is about the Peco website, not Peco turnouts. As I read it Reply #26 was a complaint about the website.

...R

More than a little. This Thread is about the Peco website, not Peco turnouts. As I read it Reply #26 was a complaint about the website.

...R

I can't agree. The question that came up was about the availability of separate templates for code 75 points on the website. I'd thought this not to be a problem believing the overall geometry of the relevant items to still be ithe same. It then became apparent that some divergence between code 100 and code 75 has taken place and this does mean that the website should have the relevant templates. It is about the website, not the points themselves. Edited by Pacific231G

I can't agree. The question that came up was about the availability of separate templates for code 75 points on the website. I'd thought this not to be a problem believing the overall geometry of the relevant items to still be ithe same. It then became apparent that some divergence between code 100 and code 75 has taken place and this does mean that the website should have the relevant templates. It is about the website, not the points themselves.

It looks like we agree, but differ from the people who were discussing the finer points (sorry) of Peco turnouts.

...R

Part of the problem with the new website, is that it is mainly a new face on an old body.

The point template prints need sortin out.They actually have more than they show, in particular the OO Setrack ones which have never been included on their website. All those who think Setrack is just for toy trains, then shut up(being blunt!!) , if you are going to have some templates to download, then have them all. The geometry of the points is not as simple as it looks at a glance, and can cause some problems. That is why I can't understand why the templates collection online is not complete. I think the printed templates are still available, and don't cost much to buy. They should result in Peco selling more points so are a good marketing tool, other track systems don't have.

The way products are displayed is unfortunately typical of most current online systems, and is therfore lazizy and badly thoughtout. It might cost more to build a proper system, but if it results in more sales it is cost justified. It is not as if they are adding hat many new products to the system, so for most of the time it is static and does not require a database/SQL approach to design. Oneof the biggest gerumbles with many online systems is that you can find something(often by chance), but then can't find it next time.

The way products are displayed is unfortunately typical of most current online systems, and is therfore lazizy and badly thoughtout. It might cost more to build a proper system, but if it results in more sales it is cost justified.

As a stop-gap it would not cost much to make the latest catalogue available as a PDF file

And all the point templates could go into another PDF file

...R

Edited by Robin2
  • Like 1

I am on Gaugemasters email list and receive updates often. One big dfference between UK companies and European ones, and some USA ones is that they produce online catalogues and update sheets on a regular basis. UK ones are usually just a list. It is about time UK companies caught up and did something simlar. No reason why the Peco catalogue could not be available to download online. No printing or distribution costs, although some might still want that. Those that want a printed version could get someone to print it off for them.

• RMweb Premium

Wanted to buy and download the electronic version of the O Gauge guide, says available from the links to either google play or App Store.......unfortunately not, both links just go to the downloadable general catalogue, online versions of books/magazines are/should be easy nowadays!

Edited by boxbrownie

Wanted to buy and download the electronic version of the O Gauge guide, says available from the links to either google play or App Store.......unfortunately not, both links just go to the downloadable general catalogue, online versions of books/magazines are/should be easy nowadays!

Is that a free download?

...R

Just had a look at this, hoping they might have decided to do the sensible thing and supply a free digital version of the catalogue. But no, the links referred to above actually go to the relevant Apple or Google app stores as stated, but there you need to download the Peco guides app. While doing so, note the message that says it is free but “includes in-app purchases”. Once you have the app you can download the O Gauge guide, the new caralalogue and most of the other published “guides”. But all at prices that look similar to the hard copies.

Useful if you want the guides, and I would pay for those if I wanted them, but I don’t pay for advertising catalogues.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at this, hoping they might have decided to do the sensible thing and supply a free digital version of the catalogue. But no, the links referred to above actually go to the relevant Apple or Google app stores as stated, but there you need to download the Peco guides app. While doing so, note the message that says it is free but “includes in-app purchases”. Once you have the app you can download the O Gauge guide, the new caralalogue and most of the other published “guides”. But all at prices that look similar to the hard copies.

Useful if you want the guides, and I would pay for those if I wanted them, but I don’t pay for advertising catalogues.

I downloaded the app and the O Gauge guide is missing, all the rest are there except for that one.

• Like 1

No.....either

That is madness - 1970s thinking.

Every other supplier of equipment makes all of their technical documents available for free - and things like microprocessor datasheets are a lot more technical and expensive to produce than any documents that Peco produces.

For one example, the RS Components website has hundreds of thousands of components listed and for almost every item you can download the free technical datasheet. And even without downloading datasheets the RS website has far more detailed information about its products than the Peco website.

I am well aware that Peco does not have the scale of RS, but they should make their catalogue available as a free download.

Does anyone from Peco read RMWEB?

...R

Edited by Robin2

They probably do read some, but then a lot of what is said here is not actually that helpful or correct. Also from the way some products have evolved(finer scale?), they have ignored many who then feel they are now being ignored.

in some cases. I sometimes wonder how much many of those in the hobby actually know about the hobby, especially areas that they don't have a specific interest in, but actually might be helpful to them.

I do think sometimes that Peco have one foot in the future(look at what Steve has said in October RM), and one foot in the past(past attempts to ignore online selling in magazines). It is not only Peco, but most of the UK model railway companies who are not issuing online catalogues and updates, but hopefully that will come soon. Military modekling copanies and wargamming ones often have lots of info including full building instructions, which I find very useful, as I can then see how a kit goes together and how I might use or adapt it.

I don't know whether it is mis selling or just mis planning, but many of the problems with new website could be sorted out , firstly by creating a simple static website with all the information on. It doesn't change that often so does not  have to be a fancy all singing all dancing database type website. A database type system, which includes ordering/shop system can be bolted on behind the information pages. That way everything is in a sensible easy to read and find way, and you are far more likely to be in a beter mood when you find what youare looking for and might then actually order something. Maybe its my age, but I want to browse before buying.

Of all the online hobby websites the Gaugemaster one is possibly one of the best. It is not perfect, but that is mainly due to its size and problems sorting out selling conflicts, but it is a pretty easy to navigate and you mght find something from somewhere you would not otherwise have looked at.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The "new" website is not user-friendly.

I had the same issue with not being able to find point plans - that they had on the previous website.

Where have the wiring diagrams gone?

They used to have links to the instruction leaflets.

I have emailed them to find out where they've been hidden.

Cheers,

Mick