Reintroduction of Slaters 4mm 20 ton Wooden Hopper

Porcy Mane

These made it as far as East Anglia in big numbers in their twilight years, British Sugar had a fleet at both Cantley and Wissington for internal use. A good excuse to have a few alongside blue diesels.

Has anyone got or seen photographs of these in internal use by British Sugar, as the only ones I have seen are LMS iron ore or ex Liverpool Corporation!

Mark Saunders 

Has anyone got or seen photographs of these in internal use by British Sugar, as the only ones I have seen are LMS iron ore or ex Liverpool Corporation!

I was thinking the same myself. I do know a tip top modeller that works for British Sugar. I'll ask him if he knows owt. 

I was thinking the same myself. I do know a tip top modeller that works for British Sugar. I'll ask him if he knows owt. 

Along with some ex GER vans, a number went to the NNR in 1980 when BSC were disposing of them. One of each were painted into original company colours, the rest into BSC, green and black I think it was.

Let's hope the big boys leave the 20 tonner alone should they consider manufacturing a wooden hopper wagon. Purley a personal wish but should they ever ponder the introduction of a wooden hopper, maybe they should take a look at the diagram 1/140 wagon.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brhopper13/h1F3D48DD#h1f3d48dd

Well travelled and a few livery choices.

Let's hope the big boys leave the 20 tonner alone should they consider manufacturing a wooden hopper wagon. Purley a personal wish but should they ever ponder the introduction of a wooden hopper, maybe they should take a look at the diagram 1/140 wagon.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brhopper13/h1F3D48DD#h1f3d48dd

Well travelled and a few livery choices.

...gets my vote...I've seen them in Kent, in Somerset, in North and South Wales, in Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, the Yorkshires (and all counties north thereof)...and into Scotland...and they were one of only 2 all wooden wagons built by British Railways...

Well I have placed my order!

Considering it was 7 years ago when I specifically went to scalefourum to purchase the hoppers... they are now going to be heading my way! Congratulation to slaters for getting the moulds back.

I was looking at the one at Goathland station today and I noticed it had clasp brakes on one side and a steel under frame, is it a replica or a later version?

There is another hidden in the ‘shed’ above the coal drop which appears to older, with wooden underframe and pushrod brakes both sides, as well as split spoke wheels. However you can only see it from underneath

Edited by Talltim

I was looking at the one at Goathland station today and I noticed it had clasp brakes on one side and a steel under frame, is it a replica or a later version?

There is another hidden in the ‘shed’ above the coal drop which appears to older, with wooden underframe and pushrod brakes both sides, as well as split spoke wheels. However you can only see it from underneath

Are you sure it is a steel underframe rather than a steel flitched solebar?

Mark Saunders

The four I ordered arrived this today, so they have commenced shipping!

They are packaged in an attractive almost cube box which I've not seen used elsewhere, so nicely distinctive. The mouldings still look fairly crisp, and there's a couple of lengths of brass wire and some turned metal buffer heads which were a very pleasant surprise! I'm not sure if these are the same transfers as provided with the kits originally or if they have been re-drawn but I'm sure someone else can shed some light on them!

See the photos below for more details.

post-7895-0-91772100-1535656987_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-79629100-1535657010_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-91020500-1535657025_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting started on them, but as others have mentioned, the interior will need some work if they are to run empty! I also fancy having a couple with the end brake gear which, hopefully won't be too hard to replicate.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

The transfers would seem to be from the same artwork but, compared to the Pressfix ones I've got in front of me, the layout has been slightly re-arranged with a good many more numberplates added, including blank ones. Presumably there are two sheets like the one shown, as that only does one side. (Assuming you want the same livery on both sides!) Are they waterslide?

Edited by Compound2632