DB IC haulage Koln-Berlin

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Travelling to Berlin in Sept, as follows:-

GWR 0603 BPW-Pad

Eurostar EST9116 0854 STP-Bruxelles

ICE 211 1225 Bruxelles-Koln 

IC 1926 1438 Koln-Berlin

I assume the Koln-Berlin leg, not being an ICE, will be loco hauled. Can anyone confirm please, & if so, what loco could I expect? A 120, or later 101/186 or something similar?

cheers N

On my recent travels round Germany, most electric ICs were 101s, and a few 120s. More likely to be a 101, as they're more numerous than 120s. 

Not sure if the 186/Traxx type work ICs - aren't they basically slower locos?

The 146 appears a lot on on regional services, and on the newish IC2 double-deck IC services, but I don't think they work Cologne-Berlin.

As to whether it's loco-hauled or in fact pushed, anyone's guess!

Edit: there's a website with train compositions here

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php?zeme=DB&kategorie=IC&rok=2018

but it doesn't show all of them, and not your IC1926

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

That's going to be a long tiring journey, I know I did it back in 2015 albeit catching the 10:58 from St. Pancras and the 13:30 ICE from Brussels to Cologne and then onto Berlin arriving about 9:15pm.

Frustrating part of the journey was having to take the Southeastern High-Speed from Folkestone to St. Pancras and then having to ride Eurostar from St. Pancras back to Folkestone and then into the Chunnel, a mile from where I live.

Only had 20 minutes to do the transfer in Brussels which all went smoothly. As soon as the train was rolling I was enjoying a ham and cheese baguette with a bottle of sekt  - bliss! Made up for what Eurostar provided as breakfast out of St. Pancras:

post-586-0-98913900-1534436549.jpg

The schedule gave us an hour in Cologne which gave us plenty of time to peruse the excellent book shop in the station. The loco on the train from Cologne to Berlin was a 101 in Maerklin livery:

post-586-0-56660300-1534436515.jpg

The journey from Cologne to Berlin really dragged on and we were well shattered by the time we got to Berlin. We stayed at the Intercity Hotel (who provided a Berlin/Potstam rover ticket for the stay) close to the station - once we had worked out which end of the station the hotel was!!

Enjoy the trip!!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that gents.

Keith-we're in the InterCity hotel at Ostbahnhof too! Which end of the station is it? Are the Berlin/Potsdam rover tickets complimentary for all guests, or did you just charm them!

I'm there for Berlin Marathon on the 16th, so we've got a day to look around, then I've got a day to run around the city, literally! Hopefully I'll get a visit to Schoneheide, it's Berlin Macht Dampf weekend.

cheers N

InterCity hotels always give you a 'city ticket' for local public transport, but it can be a bit difficult to tell how much are that actually covers, for some its only the very central area, for others it appears to be almost the whole Lander.

Mannheim is the best I've actually used, you get the whole RNV tariff zone, but I was looking at Stralsund as a possible base, and that appears to give all of Rugen.

Jon

I'm visiting Berlin in September and am also interested in the Berlin/Potsdam rover ticket; I have bought Berlin Welcome Cards but AFAIK these are only valid for S- and U-bahn services, not DB ?

• RMweb Premium

I'm visiting Berlin in September and am also interested in the Berlin/Potsdam rover ticket; I have bought Berlin Welcome Cards but AFAIK these are only valid for S- and U-bahn services, not DB ?

The last time I bought one of these a couple of years ago DB (and other mainline operators) were covered within the geographical zones purchased - just like a London Travelcard covers most National Rail services.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that gents.

Keith-we're in the InterCity hotel at Ostbahnhof too! Which end of the station is it? Are the Berlin/Potsdam rover tickets complimentary for all guests, or did you just charm them!

I'm there for Berlin Marathon on the 16th, so we've got a day to look around, then I've got a day to run around the city, literally! Hopefully I'll get a visit to Schoneheide, it's Berlin Macht Dampf weekend.

cheers N

Hi N,

As mentioned above the rover tickets are complimentary for all guests and are issued when you check in and available on all local bus, tram, and local train services. It does not cover IC/ICE services.

Hotel I stayed in was close to the HauptBahnhof, the exit we used was at the rear-end of the arriving train, turning right after we exited the station.....

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi N,

As mentioned above the rover tickets are complimentary for all guests and are issued when you check in and available on all local bus, tram, and local train services. It does not cover IC/ICE services.

Hotel I stayed in was close to the HauptBahnhof, the exit we used was at the rear-end of the arriving train, turning right after we exited the station.....

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'll make sure I get my ticket when I check in!