XP64 D1733

paul 27

Have the Bachmann model, what happened to this after its trial in 64 what region / services

did it run, I presume it kept the same livery minus the red logo, and later painted

BR rail blue, any pictures if possible circa 60s thanks.

Edited by paul 27

• RMweb Gold

I can certainly remember it being used in the XP64 livery on South Wales-Paddington trains; AFAIK it was never repainted into green livery.  I think the red panels with the double arrows below the cab windows were painted plain blue at the time full yellow ends were provided, and the main repalnt was done later, but don't quote me on this.

• RMweb Gold

I can certainly remember it being used in the XP64 livery on South Wales-Paddington trains; AFAIK it was never repainted into green livery.  I think the red panels with the double arrows below the cab windows were painted plain blue at the time full yellow ends were provided, and the main repalnt was done later, but don't quote me on this.

AFAIK the red panel with white arows was an adhesive sticker, which was peeled off when it got really grotty, never to be replaced?

• RMweb Gold

As were pairs of Class 37's in multiple in the summer of 1966 btw.

• RMweb Gold

As were pairs of Class 37's in multiple in the summer of 1966 btw.

I don't remember these on South Wales trains, bu they were used in conjunction with the XP64 set on high speed trials between Bristol and Paddington via Box.  The bogies were temporarily replaced with Deltic ones geared for faster running; a power unit of 3,500hp weighing 210 tons resulted.  The locos were used between the trials on Bristol-Paddington services.  IIRC an accelerated Bristol-Paddington timetable was introduced, but did not last for long.  After the speed trials were complete, the locos got their original bogies back and took up their South Wales freight work.  

The EE type 3s were the fastest rated locos the WR had at the time, cleared for 105mph running.  The hydraulics were limited, at least in theory, to 90mph and the Brush type 4s to 95.  The hydraulics could easily top 90 if they weren't overloaded, but the 47s could only just manage 95.

• RMweb Gold

I don't remember these on South Wales trains, bu they were used in conjunction with the XP64 set on high speed trials between Bristol and Paddington via Box.  The bogies were temporarily replaced with Deltic ones geared for faster running; a power unit of 3,500hp weighing 210 tons resulted.  The locos were used between the trials on Bristol-Paddington services.  IIRC an accelerated Bristol-Paddington timetable was introduced, but did not last for long.  After the speed trials were complete, the locos got their original bogies back and took up their South Wales freight work.  

The EE type 3s were the fastest rated locos the WR had at the time, cleared for 105mph running.  The hydraulics were limited, at least in theory, to 90mph and the Brush type 4s to 95.  The hydraulics could easily top 90 if they weren't overloaded, but the 47s could only just manage 95.

Summer timetable 1966. Had a ride in it one morning from Bridgend to Cardiff behind a pair en route to Paddington.Logbook entry for 3/5/1966 : D 6892 + unidentfied unit.. The usage was short lived.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The earliest photos I have come across with air brakes, two part radiator and repaint to standard blue are 1973.

Checking my old combines it appears to have been air braked some time in 1972. The November 1971 edition has it not air braked and the December 1972 book has it listed air braked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The earliest photos I have come across with air brakes, two part radiator and repaint to standard blue are 1973.

Checking my old combines it appears to have been air braked some time in 1972. The November 1971 edition has it not air braked and the December 1972 book has it listed air braked.

Cheers Clive

Is that going by date of publication of the Combined volume - or date of latest info? They could be a fair bit adrift...

And thanks for the picture Robert

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Clive

Is that going by date of publication of the Combined volume - or date of latest info? They could be a fair bit adrift...

And thanks for the picture Robert

Phil

Hi Phil

The date of the "latest info" as in the introduction of each edition.

Now who has the 1972 Modern Railways or Railway World because they use to list which locos had been fitted with air brakes each month?

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Somewhere I read recently that this loco had received FYE over its tired early XP64 blue, and before its standard blue repaint. 

The photo at Oxley in 1967 would have coincided with the mass applications of FYE over green, and to that extent the picture is inconclusive. 

Personally I very much doubt that D1733 wore XP64 blue, unbranded, with FYE, and in the absence of photographic evidence I will assume it ran in its 1967 condition throughout 1968 too. It went standard blue in December 1969.

Unless anyone else has found more pics we've not seen.....

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Somewhere I read recently that this loco had received FYE over its tired early XP64 blue, and before its standard blue repaint. 

The photo at Oxley in 1967 would have coincided with the mass applications of FYE over green, and to that extent the picture is inconclusive. 

Personally I very much doubt that D1733 wore XP64 blue, unbranded, with FYE, and in the absence of photographic evidence I will assume it ran in its 1967 condition throughout 1968 too. It went standard blue in December 1969.

Unless anyone else has found more pics we've not seen.....

This might be the photo that is confusing people. The caption states standard blue but lacking them arrows. It clearly has the two part radiator. 

• Like 1

I visited Crewe Works (first time) on 3rd November 1969 and found the bogie-less D1733 perched on trestles, still in its original Bsyp livery. The locomotive which pioneered the BR double-arrow logo would later emerge from works newly dual-braked without them! (So did 1538 around this time.) So no, it definitely didn't gain full yellow ends on its XP64 blue. 

Also in works that day, still with small yellow panels on green livery, were D1754 and D1756, the latter being the Western Region's last '47' in original condition. The LMR's D1736 and D1744 would survive into the second half of 1970 still in Gsyp.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 16/10/2023 at 13:59, robertcwp said:

In service with the arrows:

53178619673_020ab0c4b3_c.jpgD1733_undated by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Must have been mid-1964 as it didn't carry the logos in service for very long - but long enough to get a bit grubby (there's a photo of it on a freight in similar condition).

Slipping off-topic for a moment, how common were BR Mark 1 GUVs in unlined maroon? I don't think I've ever seen one before.......

• Like 3