Br coach periscopes

Before I pose the question I’ve searched RMWeb and Google images to no avail so here goes. Note I do not possess a copy of Keith Parkin’s book on Mk1 coaches so can’t refer to that.

The Bachmann 57’ Mk1 BS comes with guards periscopes whilst the Replica 63’ one does not. Photoghraphs show the shorties working out of KX were fitted with them but I have yet to find an image of the roof of a long BS. Surely both long and short ones would have beeh fitted with periscopes? Have Replica missed them off?

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

In w

Before I pose the question I’ve searched RMWeb and Google images to no avail so here goes. Note I do not possess a copy of Keith Parkin’s book on Mk1 coaches so can’t refer to that.

The Bachmann 57’ Mk1 BS comes with guards periscopes whilst the Replica 63’ one does not. Photoghraphs show the shorties working out of KX were fitted with them but I have yet to find an image of the roof of a long BS. Surely both long and short ones would have beeh fitted with periscopes? Have Replica missed them off?

Tim T

In what year is your layout set?  That's the key in determining whether there would still be periscopes or not.

• RMweb Gold

Periscopes then.  This was an idea that BR inherited from the Southern, from the SECR originally I believe, and there were still BGs around with them in the 70s when I worked on the railway.  I never found one clean enough to use, though, and doubt if most people off the Southern were much aware of them, but I once worked an excursion of Hastings DEMU sets that had them cleaned, so presumably they were still used regularly on their home territory.  They were a simple prism; you couldn't raise them to sink the Lusitania...

My Hornby BG in 1958 lined maroon has them, and I have painted the glass a gloss grey to bring them up a little.  If you are doing interior of the guard's compartment, they were a square trunking that went vertically up the walls of the compartment on the inside; they were simply open at the bottom and usually very dusty inside.

Making one up to retrofit on the roof of your Replica BS should be easy enough; I would use Milliput moulded to shape and superglued in position; use the Bachmann coach as a position guide.

They almost certainly had them. I can't really think of a reason for them not to have since a few of the long underframe versions were allocated to the Southern which used periscopes due to the restricted loading gauge. Don't forget they didn't have duckets.

I'll have a look in Parkin later if no one else answers definitively. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of information on the Subs in the book though.

Comet sell them in packs of 10 for £2.50 if you don't want to make them yourself.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium

Tim T

Hi Tim

How odd. Looking at the spares on their web site the coloured ones have them the unliveried one doesn't. I would have looked at my models but it is the brake end that I have cut the roof away for the pantograph.

Anyhow, a bit of bish bash bosh on some 60 thou plastic card and Bob's your uncle. Or may be 80 thou.

I'm wondering whether they might have fitted the wrong roof at the factory. A similar thing happened to one of my Dapol LMS Lavatory Stock carriage kits which had the wrong roof supplied.

The one on the website seems to have them.

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/ready-to-run-items/self-assembly

Jason, it is difficult to tell if the roof is a separate part or not! If it is separate then it is very well fixes, absolitely no trace of any excess glue anywhere. Looking at the insde of the roof it is intriguimgly marked FO even though the shell is supposed to be a BS!

Jason

IIRC all Mk I brake coaches had periscopes as built. It is easy enough to check if a coach has the correct roof as the ventilators should line up with the compartments. An FO will have wider compartments than a BS.

Edited by Il Grifone

IIRC all Mk I brake coaches had periscopes as built. It is easy enough to check if a coach has the correct roof as the ventilators should line up with the compartments. An FO will have wider compartments than a BS.

Yes, as I tried to respond to Jason’s post, but mangled it on my ipad, the shell has got the wrong FO roof fitted. It was sold at normal price and not as a “second”, a bit naughty IMHO.

When I get back from Greece in September all the vents will have to come off and be replaced in the correct places!

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• RMweb Gold

Periscopes then.  This was an idea that BR inherited from the Southern, from the SECR originally I believe, and there were still BGs around with them in the 70s when I worked on the railway.  I never found one clean enough to use, though, and doubt if most people off the Southern were much aware of them, but I once worked an excursion of Hastings DEMU sets that had them cleaned, so presumably they were still used regularly on their home territory.  They were a simple prism; you couldn't raise them to sink the Lusitania...

My Hornby BG in 1958 lined maroon has them, and I have painted the glass a gloss grey to bring them up a little.  If you are doing interior of the guard's compartment, they were a square trunking that went vertically up the walls of the compartment on the inside; they were simply open at the bottom and usually very dusty inside.

Making one up to retrofit on the roof of your Replica BS should be easy enough; I would use Milliput moulded to shape and superglued in position; use the Bachmann coach as a position guide.

They are available as a spare from Replica.

Sorted!

Or possibly not! The ones shown on the Replica website don’t look “right” if you compare them with the ones on the correct bodyshells. The spares come with a large flange that is not apparent on the BS roof?

Having said that I still have tofind a photo of an actual BR Mk1 Guards compartment roof.

Tim T,

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hmm,,,,, doesn’t look much like the Replica spare part, does it?

Tim T

Hi Tim

What Replica spare part? The BS, when made correctly, had them moulded on. I have had a look in my two "These bits might be handy one day" coach boxes, sorry no roof bits left over from cutting away the roof for the pantograph on the EMUs.

Here is a photo of the periscopes as moulded by Hornby BSK and Bachmann BS.

post-16423-0-72669800-1535924125_thumb.jpg

These are the dimensions of the 60 thou by 80 thou plastic strip they can be made from . I think Evergreen do a 60 x 80 thou. Or you can cut a strip from a sheet of 60 thou, easier than a 80 thou sheet.

post-16423-0-84270400-1535924139.png

I hope this helps.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve

They do look good, as they appear to have the drop down cover to stop the muck getting on the glass, better than the moulded ones on Bachman and Hornby coaches.

You're welcome Clive!  I've never used them myself, I just remembered seeing them on that page.  I'm not sure what the three pips on the top are supposed to represent?

Hi Tim

What Replica spare part? The BS, when made correctly, had them moulded on. I have had a look in my two "These bits might be handy one day" coach boxes, sorry no roof bits left over from cutting away the roof for the pantograph on the EMUs.

Here is a photo of the periscopes as moulded by Hornby BSK and Bachmann BS.

attachicon.gif100_5056.JPG

These are the dimensions of the 60 thou by 80 thou plastic strip they can be made from . I think Evergreen do a 60 x 80 thou. Or you can cut a strip from a sheet of 60 thou, easier than a 80 thou sheet.

attachicon.gifup scope.png

I hope this helps.

Yes that helps, Clive. If you scroll back up you will read that I’ve been sold a duff one that has been fitted with the wrong roof, the FO roof and not the BS roof.

Being a pensioner of Yorkshire birth I can’t bear to throw it out and want t try and correct it.

Tim T