Here's another project in the works and it's what I have been planning for sometime. Using the Drummond 700 Class 0-6-0 from Hornby, adding a front pony-truck, extending the running board and giving it a lick of LSWR green, this is the engine that I have been planning since my LNWR Mogul.

At the turn of the century, the London and South Western Railway began to face an increase on commuter trains and local goods work. Dugald Drummond took it upon himself to design a variation of his 700 Class 0-6-0 mainly designed for goods work. The addition of a front pony-truck, extension of a running board to improve weight and an extended smokebox the 700 Class themselves would later gain took the form of the LSWR X1 Class 2-6-0.

The first six locomotives (No. 300 - 305) were built in 1898 at Dubs & Co. Works, Glasgow, the second batch of ten (No. 290 - 299) were built later that same year at Nine Elms Locomotive Works and an additional twenty (No. 270 - 289) were built in 1901 at Eastleigh Works months before Queen Victoria's death. A total of 36 locomotives were built during that time. Because of their shrill whistles and their green liveries, they were nicknamed 'Crickets' by crews and enthusiasts.

After the 1923 Grouping, these liveries were later malachite green with white lining and black with green lining, but during the Second World War, the livery was plain black with sunshine yellow lettering. After beng acquired by BR in 1948, the engines were finished in LNWR-style lined black livery.

The locomotives were all inherited in 1923 by the newly-formed Southern Railway and British Railways in 1948 under the 30270 numbering under the power classification as 4. Withdrawals took place in 1956 with the last being withdrawn in 1959. Two locomotives have survived to preservation, No. 30301 and No. 30288. Both went to the Swanage Railway where the restoration of No. 30301 began with No. 30287 used as donor parts to the locomotive. New parts were made from scratch and 30287 steamed back into service in 1973, its sister engine returning to steam in 1976. No. 30301 retained its BR lined-black mixed-traffic livery and No. 288 was restored in the original LSWR green livery.

No. 287 was on loan to the Kent & East Sussex Railway and the Mid Hants Railway in the 1980s. No. 30301 remained at the Swanage Railway until it went to the Bluebell Railway on loan where it was taken out of service in 1992 when it suffered a minor crack on its brake pipe on the front buffer-beam as it was about to take a train back down the line tender-first. It went out of service but was later moved to the East Somerset Railway as to reduce siding space.

No. 287 had been restored to running order on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway and the Buckhinghamshire Railway Centre. No. 30301 is currently on display at the Yeovil Railway Centre in Somserset.

This locomotive will be using the Hornby Drummond 700 Class as a basis and the number I decided on would be No. 287 and the LSWR green livery. It will take some time, but if I can do a North Western Mogul, then I can make a South Western Mogul. Let's hope for the best!

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 2

It all sounds very interesting and potentially plausible (I confess I am ignorant on most thing sou'western!), but that's the fun in modelling sometimes, seeing how far you can push the plausible envelope?

I'll watch with interest.

- Alex

Thank you! I am touched by your interest and kind words!

• RMweb Premium

Here's another project in the works and it's what I have been planning for sometime. Using the Drummond 700 Class 0-6-0 from Hornby, adding a front pony-truck, extending the running board and giving it a lick of LSWR green, this is the engine that I have been planning since my LNWR Mogul.

At the turn of the century, the London and South Western Railway began to face an increase on commuter trains and local goods work. Dugald Drummond took it upon himself to design a variation of his 700 Class 0-6-0 mainly designed for goods work. The addition of a front pony-truck, extension of a running board to improve weight and an extended smokebox the 700 Class themselves would later gain took the form of the LSWR X1 Class 2-6-0.

The first six locomotives (No. 300 - 305) were built in 1898 at Dubs & Co. Works, Glasgow, the second batch of ten (No. 290 - 299) were built later that same year at Nine Elms Locomotvie Works and an additional twenty (No. 270 - 289) were built in 1901 at Eastleigh Works months before Queen Victoria's death. A total of 36 locomotives were built during that time. Because of their shrill whistles and their green liveries, they were nicknamed 'Crickets' by crews and enthusiasts.

The locomotives were all inherited in 1923 by the newly-formed Southern Railway and British Railways in 1948 under the 30270 numbering under the power classification as 4. Withdrawals took place in 1956 with the last being withdrawn in 1959. Two locomotives have survived to preservation, No. 30301 and No. 30288. Both went to the Swanage Railway where the restoration of No. 30301 began with No. 30288 used as donor parts to the locomotive. New parts were made from scratch and 30288 steamed back into service in 1973, its sister engine returning to steam in 1976. No. 30301 retained its BR lined-black mixed-traffic livery and No. 288 was restored in the original LSWR green livery.

No. 288 was on loan to the Kent & East Sussex Railway and the Mid Hants Railway in the 1980s. No. 30301 remained at the Swanage Railway until it went to the Bluebell Railway on loan where it was taken out of service in 1992 when it suffered a minor crack on its brake pipe on the front buffer-beam as it was about to take a train back down the line tender-first. It went out of service but was later moved to the East Somerset Railway as to reduce siding space.

No. 288 had been restored to running order on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway and the Buckhinghamshire Railway Centre. No. 30301 is currently on display at the Yeovil Railway Centre in Somserset.

This locomotive will be using the Hornby Drummond 700 Class as a basis and the number I decided on would be No. 288 and the LSWR green livery. It will tak some time, but if I can do a North Western Mogul, then I can make a South Western Mogul. Let's hope for the best!

This all sounds fairly feasible , but the numbers you have chosen were allocated to T9 and C8 4-4-0s. The LSWR class designations follow lot numbers starting with A1 then B1 C1 etc for locos built at Nine Elms or Eastleigh. Which makes X1 an Adams loco built in 1889. However classes where the first member was built by an outside contractor such as Dubs, would take the the number of the first built, hence 700 class. Yours would be the 300 class, but 300 was a T9.

This all sounds fairly feasible , but the numbers you have chosen were allocated to T9 and C8 4-4-0s. The LSWR class designations follow lot numbers starting with A1 then B1 C1 etc for locos built at Nine Elms or Eastleigh. Which makes X1 an Adams loco built in 1889. However classes where the first member was built by an outside contractor such as Dubs, would take the the number of the first built, hence 700 class. Yours would be the 300 class, but 300 was a T9.

Thank you very much. I did do a lot of research into it. I originally called the Mogul the 800 Class.

I rather like your various flights of fancy, but then I do already have a big soft spot for 'locomotives that never were'. In this case it's somewhat ironic that Drummond in fact killed a LSWR mogul in favour of his 700 Class. Adams designed a 2-6-0 for main line freight services, using many details from his 4-4-0s. The plans went to the Locomotive Committee in 1894, but orders for other locos prevented any progress before Adams gave way to Drummond. And that was that. The fearsome Dugald didn't build other people's designs, notwithstanding his earlier cribs from Stroudley. All courtesy of Bradley's master work on LSWR locos.

A black Southern or BR Adams Mogul would look good. In fact one could go further and imagine that Adams' earlier mogul for the Great Eastern was a success, and lasted into LNER and BR days.

I rather like your various flights of fancy, but then I do already have a big soft spot for 'locomotives that never were'. In this case it's somewhat ironic that Drummond in fact killed a LSWR mogul in favour of his 700 Class. Adams designed a 2-6-0 for main line freight services, using many details from his 4-4-0s. The plans went to the Locomotive Committee in 1894, but orders for other locos prevented any progress before Adams gave way to Drummond. And that was that. The fearsome Dugald didn't build other people's designs, notwithstanding his earlier cribs from Stroudley. All courtesy of Bradley's master work on LSWR locos.

A black Southern or BR Adams Mogul would look good. In fact one could go further and imagine that Adams' earlier mogul for the Great Eastern was a success, and lasted into LNER and BR days.

Yes, indeed! That is the possibility! Also, this is an LSWR design that might have been.

• 1 month later...

Drummond actually built some 4-4-0s with the 700/M7 boiler, C8 I think, with 5'7" wheels in the period you mention.  They were not successful as the firebox was too small.  I think your 2-6-0 would also have remained a small class for the same reason.  However Drummond persevered and produced 80 K10/ L11 locos again with 5'7" wheels which did sterling work in the West Country before being displaced rapidly post WW2, both by new WC class locos and the older but souped up superheated T9s. 

The LSWR didn't do 0-6-0s really, they were handy as "road switchers" for pick up freights where good acceleration was needed but 0-4-4T and 4-4-0s could do the job as well where loadings were reasonable. The K10s were sometimes saddled with 60 wagon trains from Crediton to Exeter which they coped with as long as no one was unwise enough to stop them.

Drummond produced some of the most successful (T9/M7) locos of his era, some of the quirkiest (Bug and the 0-4-0 like a downsized Triang Polly) and some of the worst (4-6-0s and double singles) of any era.  

A Superheated 700 with a pony truck for lightly laid lines would have made sense in SR days much as Peter Drummond did when he superheated his 0-6-0s and found the weight on the front axle would have been excessive, but the LSWR was a solidly built line "Red" by GWR standards all the way to Padstow so there was no real need, unless the SR had absorbed the MSWJR ( instead of the GWR). A light 2-6-0 would have been ideal as the track was pretty iffy and still only dotted blue in the 1950s.

Anyway stop reading and get building.

• 2 months later...

Drummond actually built some 4-4-0s with the 700/M7 boiler, C8 I think, with 5'7" wheels in the period you mention.  They were not successful as the firebox was too small.  I think your 2-6-0 would also have remained a small class for the same reason.  However Drummond persevered and produced 80 K10/ L11 locos again with 5'7" wheels which did sterling work in the West Country before being displaced rapidly post WW2, both by new WC class locos and the older but souped up superheated T9s. 

The LSWR didn't do 0-6-0s really, they were handy as "road switchers" for pick up freights where good acceleration was needed but 0-4-4T and 4-4-0s could do the job as well where loadings were reasonable. The K10s were sometimes saddled with 60 wagon trains from Crediton to Exeter which they coped with as long as no one was unwise enough to stop them.

Drummond produced some of the most successful (T9/M7) locos of his era, some of the quirkiest (Bug and the 0-4-0 like a downsized Triang Polly) and some of the worst (4-6-0s and double singles) of any era.  

A Superheated 700 with a pony truck for lightly laid lines would have made sense in SR days much as Peter Drummond did when he superheated his 0-6-0s and found the weight on the front axle would have been excessive, but the LSWR was a solidly built line "Red" by GWR standards all the way to Padstow so there was no real need, unless the SR had absorbed the MSWJR ( instead of the GWR). A light 2-6-0 would have been ideal as the track was pretty iffy and still only dotted blue in the 1950s.

Anyway stop reading and get building.

Indeed I shall! For now, here is a drawing of the proposed model.

post-32006-0-61451200-1545002045.png

• Like 1