Blog- milkman matt's Blog - Making tracks

Hi folks, remember me?

You know it's been a long time between blog entries when you have to go back and read your own blog just to see where you left off! :scratchhead: I suddenly realised that it has been nearly 8 months since my last entry.

However, it doesn't seem that much has happened in that time so I have had very little to write (prattle on) about. The Ratio 4 wheel carriage has come to a grinding halt as it seems that the station bench that I was using for compartment seats is no longer available anywhere and is very hard to find even as a second hand item. I did, however, manage to find a floor covering that I thought was right for the job. Turns out it was right under me the whole time. My train room has a floating wood floor so it seemed logical to just take a picture and then adjust it to a size that looks right. (If it looks right, it probably is) and print it. Then it's just a simple matter of sticking it down to the carriage floor.

The Tri Ang collection is still moving ahead slowly with the addition of some nice items I have acquired recently, most notable of which is an electric level crossing and the relevant lever switch for it (from two different sources) Seems a shame that items made as long as 60 years ago still function as they are designed to but now we can't get things that last more that a few years. The X04 motor was way ahead of its time in my book and if they could get it to run as quietly as the modern can motors, they would have been on a winner.

As the title of this entry suggest, I have finally started laying track on boards.............yes you read that right, I'm actually in the process of laying track. I know back in February 2017, I said I would have trains running by the end of the year but I did not say which year. :no: As it stands at the minute,. I can run a fairly lengthy freight train (22 short wheelbase carriages) through what will be the station and also do some shunting. Gives me something to do when I have a break from the track laying. Problem is, it also distracts me from same! :mosking:

I have struck one hurdle though and that is the gap (1350mm) across the doorway which is on an angle from the corner of one cabinet across to another. After another call to my neighbour (the cabinet maker), it should be sorted on Tuesday evening. I can see I'm going to have to buy this bloke something nice for Christmas.

Anyhoo, I see by Mickey's hands that it is getting late (Either that or he is cheering something) so I shall sign off for now. Hopefully, it won't be another 8 months before the next instalment.

Cheers for now.

The Ratio Coach with its "floorboards" in place.

This is where the bridge will cross to complete the lower circuit of the layout.

The Station area as it stands.
Left line is the branch line to the upper level and the two main lines in the middle. The loop on the right is just over 2m long.

Two of my favourites.

A little something to give the rivet counters apoplexy.
Otherwise known as "It's my railway, I'll run what I like".

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-7894-0-69282300-1534687959_thu
  • blogentry-7894-0-81809300-1534688555_thu
  • blogentry-7894-0-03264600-1534688618_thu
  • blogentry-7894-0-07143700-1534688661_thu
  • blogentry-7894-0-12132800-1534688687_thu

View the full article