New locos for the Lynton and Barnstaple line

Kris

From what I've read and been told elsewhere the frames for Yeo have existed for ages (built by Winson who no longer trade). Then Lyd started to be built so it was put on hold, both to avoid competition for funding etc between two virtually identical projects and also so that lessons could be learned from Lyd and applied to the new locos. They focused on Lyn the Baldwin new build and the line itself. It's interesting to speculate whether they will eventually build replicas of the entire original fleet as/if funding becomes available. Does anyone know what the long term plan for the ex-industrial steam locos is and how many are likely to be needed to run the completed line?

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't speak for the L&B's actual plans but three locos would seem sufficient for the current and next stage but for the full line they'll need at least three to run the service on high days with one spare and one under maintenance at a guess. That's the theory but like the FR I'd expect a powerful Diesel as emergency backup would be considered too.

As to the small industrials they'll be underpowered for passenger trains on a longer line so will probably see less use or may even be sold on to fund the next MW's once Yeo & Exe are available? Like many other railways that started with small industrials they outgrow them but there are still a lot of railways that use them for engineering trains or save them for special days and many NG lines use nothing but small 0.4.0's ;)

• Like 1

I'm not sure how realistic the "full line" really is as an ambition. Blackmoor Gate seems to be proving very challenging, so getting back to both Lynton and Barnstaple will be quite some way down the road, even if they found multiple Euromillions winning benefactors.

Though naturally I wish them well.

I can't speak for the L&B's actual plans but three locos would seem sufficient for the current and next stage but for the full line they'll need at least three to run the service on high days with one spare and one under maintenance at a guess. That's the theory but like the FR I'd expect a powerful Diesel as emergency backup would be considered too.

As to the small industrials they'll be underpowered for passenger trains on a longer line so will probably see less use or may even be sold on to fund the next MW's once Yeo & Exe are available? Like many other railways that started with small industrials they outgrow them but there are still a lot of railways that use them for engineering trains or save them for special days and many NG lines use nothing but small 0.4.0's ;)

In terms of small locos Sid has already gone when they got the larger heritage coaches. I understand Pilton is the big diesel to provide back-up to the steam locos. Charles Wytock is apparently leaving as its owner feels the cost to overhaul will not be justified as it will be used less now Lyn is in service (suggesting that at the moment they only need one loco of that size). The question in future then is whether Isaac and Axe will be suitable to run the longer (or eventually, completed) line, which depends on train length (will it increase?) and their fuel/water capacity. Obviously the original line had a maximum of 5 locos so 5 might be a reasonable number, but several lines (Talyllyn, Welshpool etc.) have more locos than they ever did before preservation in order to run a more intensive service. I don't know how the L&B service frequency will compare to the original line though.

I've heard about the restaurant. Apparently they want it to stay open even though it is partly on the trackbed, so I'm not sure how the line will be routed round it. Another thing to remember is that unlike the Welsh Highland the land used by the railway was not kept together after closure, adding an extra layer of complexity. I think when they say the full line they have accepted that some deviation from the original route and repositioning of the termini will be necessary.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

the most in interesting thing about that article is the part thats says that the L&B bought the rights to Manning Wardle, they would have had to buy it from Hunslet but the Hunslet website say that they still own it

https://www.wabtec.com/business-units/hunslet-engine

Manning Wardle & Co. Ltd seems to be registered to Woody Bay station;

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03356088

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

>>>I've heard about the restaurant. Apparently they want it to stay open even though it is partly on the trackbed, so I'm not sure how the line will be routed round it.....

The new alignment will simply run a few yards to the west of the old line.

The Manning Wardle company name purchase was announced quite a few years ago so I'm not surprised about the use of the name.

Taking over an existing restaurant business especially if it's generating a good income is excellent financial idea.  This might become L&B's equivalent to Spooners (Porth Madog - FR).  I know many indicate that the cafe here is one of the best in the area so a real ale restaurant down the line will be good additional income. 

How many places do you go to and if you know they have good catering will use it on your day out?  If I was on holiday in the area and knew a bar generating income for a railway has good food I'd eat there rather than a big chain.