Darlington Railway Modelling (DRM)

Hi Mike, was just wondering do you have any kadee couplings which clip into NEM pockets (in oo) in stock?

Thanks, Craig (from the barriers at the station).

Hello Craig. Yes I have Kadees nos 17-20 which clip into NEM pockets. 17 is the shortest, 20 the longest.

Hope the barriers are a bit warmer than last time I saw you.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have to say that Mikes service and support this last weekend when exhibiting was second to none. Knowing that the guy is there to offer advice and its fair and true for your best interests means just as much as knowing he has the produce you want.

Fantastic service this weekend to the usual high standards....

• 1 month later...

Well over the last 4 days, Mike has taken delivery of loads of stock!!

Lots of N gauge coaches and wagons, and some new locomotives.

And today saw the unpacking of yet more N gauge and loads of OO gauge Bachmann stock, and as always...at good discounted prices!!

Well over the last 4 days, Mike has taken delivery of loads of stock!!

Lots of N gauge coaches and wagons, and some new locomotives.

And today saw the unpacking of yet more N gauge and loads of OO gauge Bachmann stock, and as always...at good discounted prices!!

My wallet is now trembling with fear!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Due to the fall in turnover caused by the recession and recent health problems, I have made the difficult decision to close the shop and business at 4 p.m. tomorrow Saturday 28th April. This has not been an easy decision to make, but the recession on it's own was bad enough without the ill health from which I am suffering. All outstanding repaints and repairs are with the sub-contractors responsible, and they will contact the respective customers.

I have received a lot of support from suppliers, customers and friends recently and during the time DRM has been open, and for this I wish to thank them. I have had full backup from my Wife Helen, and again this has been of great comfort recently.

I have already received offers to exhibit from exhibition managers, so I will still be in the hobby that I love. I will be able to re-aquaint myself with friends from behind a layout or demonstration table.

Mike Fishwick

that's very sad to hear. It must have been hard enough trying to establish a consumer based business during a recession but when that is compounded by health issues it makes your decision quite understandable.

I know it will not have come easy.

Once your health improves I still owe you that walk around the once Klondike area of your new surroundings…

All the best to you and yours for the future,

Porcy

Mike, sorry to hear you are having to close down, I thought you had the makings of a good business there, but obviously the fates have transpired against you. Best of luck for the future and may full good health return to you soon.

Andy

I was sorry to hear the news Mike when you advised me. You're right to put your health first at this point and I hope that this step helps in that regard. Beyond that I wish you well with whatever you do next; there's no reason to be a stranger to these parts and I personally commend you on how much effort you've put into your business.

Good luck Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

As a delighted visitor to your shop and following custom, I too am sorry that your health and business have taken a turn for the worse. I hope you recover to full health and wish you all the best for the future.

Peter

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your health issues and the decision to close the business. I wish you the best in any new venture, and also for improvement on the health side. See you on the circuit.

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm very sorry to hear your news, I know many people in the NE were thrilled to have a new and 'knowledgeable' model shop opening up in their area. It is a difficult time for the hobby market and I hope with the closing of your shop it is a lesson to those who buy 'big stuff' on the net (to save a couple of quid) but expect the local model shop to keep all the small stuff in stock, just for them.... My local model shop in Glasgow is closing in a few weeks time, they are retiring but with no confirmed purchaser to take over the business it's such a loss.

I understand your decision re your health, it must come first. I understand because it happened to me also, as you know I sold the retail side of my business because I could no longer humph boxes in and out of awkward exhibition venues so that is why I started the casting business at home.

I sincerely hope your health improves and you can continue with at least part of your business (your hobby will always be there) and wish you and yours all the best in the future.

Regards,

Dave Franks

Guest Tom F

Sorry to hear that Mike. You always welcomed me with a friendly reception. I regret that I never got over as much as I liked, being a 70 mile round trip and the ever rising price of fuel! The Johnsons Klear I bought from you is very much in use...one of the best modelling buys I did!

All the best Mike. Hope to maybe see you at the Middlesbrough show!

Tom

... I hope with the closing of your shop it is a lesson to those who buy 'big stuff' on the net (to save a couple of quid) but expect the local model shop to keep all the small stuff in stock, just for them....

Sadly Dave, I dont think that lesson will be learnt, not in some places anyway; I encountered precisely that attitude elsewhere on the Net just a few weeks ago, and for daring to speak out against it, I got a series of diatribes that went on for days.

I have already received offers to exhibit from exhibition managers, so I will still be in the hobby that I love. I will be able to re-aquaint myself with friends from behind a layout or demonstration table.

That's possibly the silver lining then Mike, all the best with whatever you do.

Can only echo what everyone's saying. I've not managed to get in as much as I'd like or spend so much in these straitened times but the loss of DRM will be keenly felt.

I look forward to catching up with you Mike without the pressure of the business and hope you are on the road to recovery health-wise soon.

All the best

Anthony

Hello Mike,

I am very sorry to hear of the decision to close the shop in Darlington. Having been a regular customer for many years I can vouch for how brilliant the advice and service has been. I too have been under the pressures of life and as a result am sorry to have not been as through often as before, but you have to watch pounds and pennies. Its sad to loose a shop that provided brilliant service, from a guy who understood modelling and the hobby. I hope that your health improves and that time after this venture allows you to spend the time enjoying your modelling. As a freind I look forward to seeing you soon.

Hope Malcolm is okay as well.

Archived