Coaches & Formations 1960s

ThomasScott

Hello all,

I have a riviera line layout set in the 1960s.

I was hoping you could tell me:

1) What steam hauled 1960s coach types I could use.

2) What 2-4 coach rakes I could run (coach (e.g. Mk1 Maroon) + type (e.g. BSK).

3) Were chocolate and cream mk1s used on short 2-4 coach services?

Many thanks for your time,

Thomas

Edited by ThomasScott

The subject is a vast one. On the chocolate and cream question, there were some portioned workings, notably Kingswear portions of several trains including (from memory) the Cornishman and Royal Duchy. These were often no more than 4 carriages but some other stock was often coupled for local traffic on the branch. 

This somewhat distant shot shows a 4-coach chocolate and cream portion and two additions for local traffic. Front four are BSK, SK, CK, BCK. Can't identify the other two.

2252644679_cde7aa43a7_z.jpg?zz=1Dart_c1961 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The subject is a vast one. On the chocolate and cream question, there were some portioned workings, notably Kingswear portions of several trains including (from memory) the Cornishman and Royal Duchy. These were often no more than 4 carriages but some other stock was often coupled for local traffic on the branch. 

This somewhat distant shot shows a 4-coach chocolate and cream portion and two additions for local traffic. Front four are BSK, SK, CK, BSK. Can't identify the other two. 

Brilliant, thank you so much! Would it, therefore, be realistic to just run the 4 chocolate and cream coaches alone, but on a local passenger train or other service? Cheers,
 Thomas 

Have a search through the Flickr site to see what you can find.

A lot of photos are black and white but there are some colour photos.

Some trains to the West Country were split into two portions, one for Paignton/Kingswear the other for Plymouth/Penzance so you might find a 4 coach formation.

This is from the Flickr group 'Diesels in the 1960s' where I used the search term 'Newton Abbot'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/3003170498/in/photolist-5zo2XG-5zo38b-5ziLBZ-5zo4Kb-5znPus-5zo48u-5ziMYT-5ziDxk-5zo4kC-5ziLUM-5znVEL-5ziEd6-5zixSe-5ziEDP-9ES1i4-dzrrsS-5znWjh-5zo3j9-5znVTW-5zo4wA-aBysaH-GshTeb-QoSYKU-ancnf3-P97TPQ-9bQEbm-pGBonq-atk3p-kv2DNR-29uxPbN-e17Ua6-rhozP5-dT4nT1-dHXBoY-dzde9e-r1ASv7-dzddHg-S5buAp-dzdeA2-WhRD1F-23EAcpH-dziGUN-dziHMW-dzddwi-29wbBy9-dzeBWX-bAjesa-QgnF9Y-Pd6QgW-8HkpaC 

happy hunting

edit - sorry I realise you want steam hauled, there seem to be less steam photos from the 1960s

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Have a search through the Flickr site to see what you can find.

A lot of photos are black and white but there are some colour photos.

Some trains to the West Country were split into two portions, one for Paignton/Kingswear the other for Plymouth/Penzance so you might find a 4 coach formation.

This is from the Flickr group 'Diesels in the 1960s' where I used the search term 'Newton Abbot'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/3003170498/in/photolist-5zo2XG-5zo38b-5ziLBZ-5zo4Kb-5znPus-5zo48u-5ziMYT-5ziDxk-5zo4kC-5ziLUM-5znVEL-5ziEd6-5zixSe-5ziEDP-9ES1i4-dzrrsS-5znWjh-5zo3j9-5znVTW-5zo4wA-aBysaH-GshTeb-QoSYKU-ancnf3-P97TPQ-9bQEbm-pGBonq-atk3p-kv2DNR-29uxPbN-e17Ua6-rhozP5-dT4nT1-dHXBoY-dzde9e-r1ASv7-dzddHg-S5buAp-dzdeA2-WhRD1F-23EAcpH-dziGUN-dziHMW-dzddwi-29wbBy9-dzeBWX-bAjesa-QgnF9Y-Pd6QgW-8HkpaC 

happy hunting

edit - sorry I realise you want steam hauled, there seem to be less steam photos from the 1960s

cheers

Thanks you so much and no worries - I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks,

Thomas

Southern England could also mean Southern rather than Western Region. If so, Bulleid and Maunsell stock would be used on both main line and local services. A typical short formation would be a '3-set' (BSK, CK, BSK), sometimes with a 'loose' SO or SK tacked on.

Southern England could also mean Southern rather than Western Region. If so, Bulleid and Maunsell stock would be used on both main line and local services. A typical short formation would be a '3-set' (BSK, CK, BSK), sometimes with a 'loose' SO or SK tacked on.

'Southern' or south coast ?? South England could also include the Eastern Region - with all these J15's it'd be nice to see a model of the Maldon branch :sungum: .

• RMweb Gold

We know nothing about the OP. “South England” is not a common expression. Is he from overseas? Few know more about passenger formations than Robert Carroll - but the request is still a bit vague, so even he is unable to be totally specific.

Tell us more, Thomas!

• Agree 1

This somewhat distant shot shows a 4-coach chocolate and cream portion and two additions for local traffic. Front four are BSK, SK, CK, BSK. Can't identify the other two.

I think you'll find that the fourth coach is a BCK.  It is what I would expect it to be!

Chris

• Agree 1

Chocolate/cream Mk1s initially ran only in express formations but from about 1963 these were dispersed so for a brief time chocolate and cream would have been seen mixed with maroon coaches in lesser services.

In shorter passenger formations you would likely have a mix of pre-grouping corridor stock, with Mk1s gradually appearing from the early 1960s. A typical 3-4 coach train would be mostly second class (SK) accommodation with first class seats provided by a composite coach (CK) or brake coach (BCK). There would be at least one and often two brake coaches to accommodate the guard.

Chocolate/cream Mk1s initially ran only in express formations but from about 1963 these were dispersed so for a brief time chocolate and cream would have been seen mixed with maroon coaches in lesser services.

In shorter passenger formations you would likely have a mix of pre-grouping corridor stock, with Mk1s gradually appearing from the early 1960s. A typical 3-4 coach train would be mostly second class (SK) accommodation with first class seats provided by a composite coach (CK) or brake coach (BCK). There would be at least one and often two brake coaches to accommodate the guard.

Fantastic, thank you so much for your time and information. Have a great weekend!

• RMweb Gold

I think the 5th vehicle in the Kinsgwear departure is not a centenary, but an auto trailer, A27 or A30, and it is possible that the tail vehicle is also a trailer, A38 type, but I wouldn't swear to it.  I would imagine the trailers are being conveyed as empty stock and locked out of use (returning to Newton Abbot for weekend servicing?).  

WR in the early 60s is one of the best served periods for RTR stock; mk1s, Hawksworths, and several types of Colletts are available in suitable crimson/cream or lined maroon liveries.  About the only gaps are in non-gangwayed stock other than B sets or mk1s, but B sets and mk1s were used in the area, and in auto trailers other than A27/30 and A38.  I would keep chocolate and cream to main line through workings, Cornish Riviera Express portions, and mk1s in general in the minority.  

Summer Saturdays were pretty frantic, with anything that could turn a wheel in service, sometimes pulled by freight engines, including LMS and LNER stock on through workings.

I think the 5th vehicle in the Kinsgwear departure is not a centenary, but an auto trailer, A27 or A30, and it is possible that the tail vehicle is also a trailer, A38 type, but I wouldn't swear to it.  I would imagine the trailers are being conveyed as empty stock and locked out of use (returning to Newton Abbot for weekend servicing?).  

WR in the early 60s is one of the best served periods for RTR stock; mk1s, Hawksworths, and several types of Colletts are available in suitable crimson/cream or lined maroon liveries.  About the only gaps are in non-gangwayed stock other than B sets or mk1s, but B sets and mk1s were used in the area, and in auto trailers other than A27/30 and A38.  I would keep chocolate and cream to main line through workings, Cornish Riviera Express portions, and mk1s in general in the minority.  

Summer Saturdays were pretty frantic, with anything that could turn a wheel in service, sometimes pulled by freight engines, including LMS and LNER stock on through workings.

This is as big as I can make that bit of the image (if you click on the link and go to the large version that is):

30394010088_07bd7d69d0_b.jpgDart_c1961_crop2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1