Era 1895 - 1905

VicZA

I am not sure where this post belong so please move if not in correct/appropriate section

I wanted to model the old era of around 1895-1905 and have acquired a Stirling Single model. From what I know the SS was used almost exclusively for coach or passengers. My question is: what train types would have been used for freight around that time? I wanted to have both a passenger and freight setup and am hoping to model the area around Alexandra Palace for this.

Thanks for the assistance

Pretty much all railways of the period would have used 0-6-0 tender locos for fraight and general purpose use some even doubling up on the odd passenger train if fitted with the correct brakes, I say this as at this time the loco might only have its own steam brake and only certain members of the class might be fitted with either vacuum or air brakes for working passenger stock.

Tank locos would have been used for shunting and some trip workings some railways using them on local passenger trains as well.

As well as the single the passenger 4-4-0 pretty much dominated the scene. I hope this helps give you a few ideas to think about.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1