Nice work on the pannier sir. I use Chaos Black spray paint. The colour, I feel, is a understated black!

attachicon.gifA4C313D3-AC13-49AF-9F97-5D68E427AC83.jpeg

This is one of a pair I did over the summer. It still needs a bit of touching up, but the paint looks dull, rather than bright! Sorry to hijack your thread!

Regards,

Nick

Nothing to apologies for Nick! Where was she allocated?

I'm very impressed with the finish (a modelling friend recommended it to me). The plan was just to use it as a primer, but I'm impressed with how it highlights the rivet detail, so I'll be using it as a top coat.

I don't think it's much more than halfords primers, so to work as an undercoat and top coat, kills two birds with one stone. Just awaiting the 5774 plates.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

That's a nifty looking device you have for holding the loco. Is it a proprietary item?

Yeah it's by Tamiya. I bought it a few years ago and it's been well used. I've seen people using a hand held device that slips inside the body, but I've never seen where to buy them from.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to apologies for Nick! Where was she allocated?

I'm very impressed with the finish (a modelling friend recommended it to me). The plan was just to use it as a primer, but I'm impressed with how it highlights the rivet detail, so I'll be using it as a top coat.

I don't think it's much more than halfords primers, so to work as an undercoat and top coat, kills two birds with one stone. Just awaiting the 5774 plates.

The transfers went on really easily on mine and the can is at least 6 years old! Very good paint.

4658 was a Laira loco for years. I have quite a few photos of her pottering around Plymouth, or on the Launceston branch, which was incredibly helpful!

Edited by Brinkly

The transfers went on really easily on mine and the can is at least 6 years old! Very good paint.

4658 was a Laira loco for years. I have quite a few photos of her pottering around Plymouth, or on the Launceston branch, which was incredibly helpful!

That's good to know. Next plan is to add transfers (late crest) and then set about weathering (need to add the laser glaze in too before I forget).

In the meantime I've these Toads to be getting on with, and need to think about starting the grass work!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting about the Citadel 'Chaos Black', Tom.

Is it not quite black? It does look good.

For years now, I've usually finished my black locos in Halfords Matt Black, which consistently and reliably gives a slight sheen that helps with transfer application. You can then spray some Dullcote or similar on it and weather from there.

Thanks CK

Hmmm, it looks black to my eyes (granted all things subjective). It was taken in full sunlight so I do not know if that was effecting the photos.

Here it is posed by the layout under lighting. Nick's (Brinkly) Pannier looks ok to my eyes with it as a top coat.

post-24300-0-87196000-1537125961_thumb.jpg

I've always used Halfords too, although I've used Satin Black before as the top coat....and as I always say, 'weathering hides a multitude of sins!' ;)

• Like 6

That's what I have used for years now as  a top primer/ coat. I start off with a grey primer - usually Humbrol - to check for smoothness and then the Citadel black. Like you I originally intended it as a primer but was so pleased with the finish that I stopped there. Thoroughly recommend it both for its finish and shelf life - a can can sit for a year or more between uses, although I don't chance my luck when it is near empty; then it is relegated to wagons or structures that do not need a smooth finish.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly recommend it both for its finish and shelf life - a can can sit for a year or more between uses

Odd, isn't it, how some makes of aerosol can, like Halfords, can go literally years between uses and still be fine, yet others (like Railmatch) seem to gum up at the first opportunity (despite following the instructions about giving it a spray upside down before putting away etc.).

• RMweb Gold

For years now, I've usually finished my black locos in Halfords Matt Black, which consistently and reliably gives a slight sheen that helps with transfer application. You can then spray some Dullcote or similar on it and weather from there.

I'll bring my pair of panniers in to DRAG next time Tim and you can see for yourself.  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Tom.

This thread is fab and I have thoroughly enjoyed going through it, from being truly moved by the first post all the way up to date. Ticks all the boxes for me, subtly weathered stock, great looking trackwork and a lovely minimalist approach.

Top drawer and now looking forward to the next instalment.

Rob.

• Like 1

Evening Tom.

This thread is fab and I have thoroughly enjoyed going through it, from being truly moved by the first post all the way up to date. Ticks all the boxes for me, subtly weathered stock, great looking trackwork and a lovely minimalist approach.

Top drawer and now looking forward to the next instalment.

Rob.

Many Thanks Rob, that is most kind of you.

I'm getting there slowly, but my hope is Cwm Prysor may open the door into the next project (even linked in fact!) ;)

Work tomorrow, but I'm hoping I should be able to contemplate priming the AA19 Toad Body this week (plus not forgetting the AA3 Bala Toad).

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

The Tamiya one is available from Amazon.

Thanks, I did look on amazon but could only see the one i have. I’m probably best sticking to mine (no pun intended). The fact it can be left in situ to dry is a bonus.

That's good to know. Next plan is to add transfers (late crest) and then set about weathering (need to add the laser glaze in too before I forget).

In the meantime I've these Toads to be getting on with, and need to think about starting the grass work!

A lot of panniers I've seen pictures of don't show any totems, so I don't bother - no-one's noticed!

A lot of panniers I've seen pictures of don't show any totems, so I don't bother - no-one's noticed!

Funnily enough most of the photos of 74XX on the branch are so dirty there’s often no sign of a crest, so I didn’t bother on one of mine. The photo I’m working from of 5774 shows a grubby Pannier but with a crest visible, so I’ll be d picking it. Plus compared to the other 57s I’ve modellled, she’s the first of mine to have a late crest!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon, that's it!

Does anyone know of a UK source?

You can order direct from Micromark. This is well below the VAT threshold, so would only take a few days.

The Tamiya one is available from Amazon.

Couldn’t find it.

Can you provide a link?