Are there any photos of the Bala branch in any of the Bradford Barton railway book series? i.e. (More) Great Western Steam in Wales and the Border Counties or any of the branch line books?

Hi Ben!

Yes there are a few photos in both books I believe, a few not seen in any other publications too!

Edited by 9793

May 1971 Model Railway News has an article on the line complete with photos and track plans, written by Mike Morton-Lloyd.  Subsequent to me reading this he sent me several photos of Blaenau and Tan-y-Manod.  I was rather surprised not to see any Mike's photos in the Bala Branch book.

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread and have loved looking through it. I only travelled from Ffestiniog to Bala once. I was in the back seat of a 2.3 V6 Cortina on a police driving course. We set off from Wakefield at 09.00 and got back at 17.00 having had an hour's lunch break in Barmouth. We three students all took our turns at driving. We "Made progress" over the road to Bala but my abiding memory is of coming over a hill to see the viaduct and to be confronted by a very low flying Hercules coming the other way and banking over to get round the next hill. However I did think, what a lovely line it must have been to travel over.

I look forward to seeing the layout at some point in the future.

Jamie

• Like 6

Just found this thread and have loved looking through it. I only travelled from Ffestiniog to Bala once. I was in the back seat of a 2.3 V6 Cortina on a police driving course. We set off from Wakefield at 09.00 and got back at 17.00 having had an hour's lunch break in Barmouth. We three students all took our turns at driving. We "Made progress" over the road to Bala but my abiding memory is of coming over a hill to see the viaduct and to be confronted by a very low flying Hercules coming the other way and banking over to get round the next hill. However I did think, what a lovely line it must have been to travel over.

I look forward to seeing the layout at some point in the future.

Jamie

Sounds about right Jamie! It's pretty lonely up there....more so when you think the section after Arenig had nothing but a bumpy single track road for several miles until Trawsfynydd was reached!

I would also like to thank Jamie for sending me these fascinating scans from his Father's trainspotting diary, from their family holiday (by train) to Dolgellau in August 1959! Fascinating looking at the locos that were working that week!

I'm sure Jamie would like to tell of his memories from the time!

post-24300-0-86017600-1547811126_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-91346000-1547811128_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-59695800-1547811130_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-06403600-1547811132_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sounds about right Jamie! It's pretty lonely up there....more so when you think the section after Arenig had nothing but a bumpy single track road for several miles until Trawsfynydd was reached!

I would also like to thank Jamie for sending me these fascinating scans from his Father's trainspotting diary, from their family holiday (by train) to Dolgellau in August 1959! Fascinating looking at the locos that were working that week!

I'm sure Jamie would like to tell of his memories from the time!

attachicon.gifScan for Tom 1.jpg

attachicon.gifScan for Tom 2.jpg

attachicon.gifScan for Tom 3.jpg

attachicon.gifScan for Tom 4.jpg

At the time I was 6 approaching 7 and we were living at Giggleswick, No car so we went everywhere by pushbike or train. I have quite a few memories of that journey. I certainly remember seeing strange looking locos with something funny round the top of their chimneys. We stayed at Dinas Mawwdy (Not sure of the spelling) and did the two excursions to Towyn and Fairbourne by train but I've no recollection of how we got to the train. The day before we came back we picked a lot of blackberries in and around a ruined house. My, older, brother was entrusted with a cornflakes box full of part of the crop, lined with the normal greaseproof paper lining that cornflakes then came in. At Lancaster there were no trains to Giggleswick so we had to catch the Pennine Motors bus, Orange and Black and probably a Leyland. This got us to a stop within 150 yards of our house. The conductor let us put all our luggage at the back of the bus and opened the emergency door to get it all out. By this time the blackberries had started to soak through the box, the base of which was purple. I think that my father was told to carry it, very carefully, home then come back for the luggage. The next day my Mum made bramble jelly.

Sorry to take the thread a little off topic, but re reading some of the diary last night brought back a lot of childhood memories, including the picnic just south of Lowgill, where the M6 is now, and we saw proper red engines, duchesses at their best including one on the Royal Scot. That was part of our 1960 holiday which was spent at Dent.

Anyway I hope that these jottings help Tom with his model, even if he has to raid the piggybank for some more locos.

Jamie

PS. These notes also show which of the Green Ayre electrics we rode on, not the Midland ones but a seed was certainly sown.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Tom, having perused the notes I can confirm that the Grange took us from Ruabon to Wrexham, a Hall took us from Chester to Ruabon on the way south with 43XX's between Ruabon and Dolgelley (Sic).

Jamie

Fascinating stuff Jamie! 

There used to be a branch that ran to Dinas Mawddwy running from a junction at Cemmaes Road, where it left the Cambrian Main Line (between Machynlleth and Newtown) before meandering north west. It was an early closure, being freight only from the 1930s, and finally closing to goods in 1952. I believe it was worked by Mach locos.

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating stuff Jamie! 

There used to be a branch that ran to Dinas Mawddwy running from a junction at Cemmaes Road, where it left the Cambrian Main Line (between Machynlleth and Newtown) before meandering north west. It was an early closure, being freight only from the 1930s, and finally closing to goods in 1952. I believe it was worked by Mach locos.

Thanks I was aware of that. I remember wandering round the closed station. One of the members of the Wakefield Club, a friend of 5050 is doing a model of it. I think that part of it, plus the incline up to the quarry is now some sort of alternative technology centre.

Jamie

Thanks I was aware of that. I remember wandering round the closed station. One of the members of the Wakefield Club, a friend of 5050 is doing a model of it. I think that part of it, plus the incline up to the quarry is now some sort of alternative technology centre.

Jamie

I think you are getting mixed up with the Corris valley and the Centre for Alternative Technology.

Keith HC

Fascinating stuff Jamie! 

The Dinas Mawddwy branch or the Mawddwy Railway was constructed on behalf of Sir Edmund Buckley (1865-67), opening to traffic on 1st October 1867. It led a hand to mouth existence, mostly with the original rolling stock  until closing to passenger traffic on April 17th 1901, due mostly to the poor state of the trackwork. This in turn led to cessation of all traffic on April 8th 1908.

After some refurbishment, under the auspices of the Cambrian Railways, it was reopened under a Light Railway Order on July 31th 1911 

Closed to regular passenger traffic for the second time after GWR absorption January 1st 1931 (same day as the Corris Railway). Nationalised in 1948, the last regular freight ran on September 5th 1950. Officially closed on July 1st 1951, tracklifting down the line was completed by May 26th 1952.

For more details see the Mawddwy Railway by Lewis Cozens, privately published, 1954 and the Mawddwy Van and Kerry Branches (Oakwood Press 32, 1972, republished with new photos and information 2004)  

Edited by MartinWales
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

February 1979, built by Trevor Hughes, in P4.

Includes the memorable comparison of code 40 rail to a piece of miss-shapen fusewire.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 4

There was a very nice - probably finescale - model of the terminus in the RM in the late 70s or early 80s.  Sadly I don't have access to those back issues or I could quickly tell you which one.

Railway Modeller February 1979, Mawddwy Road in 18.83mm

February 1979, built by Trevor Hughes, in P4.

Includes the memorable comparison of code 40 rail to a piece of miss-shapen fusewire.

Thanks for that Simon, I'll look it up! :)

Well, that's my stint on rolling stock done for the time being. 

My third 16T, a variation on a theme.

post-24300-0-53718300-1547997618_thumb.jpg

I'm really pleased with what I've managed to get finished! However I've not a layout to grass!

post-24300-0-10001000-1547997628_thumb.jpg

9793 passes Cwm Prysor with the 5.45am Bala-Trawsfynydd Class K. As can be seen, other than the 16T with domestic coal, the train is comprised of wagons for the building of Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 16

So, are you using photos of actual 16 tonners on the Bala - Blaenau branch as the basis for your excellent weathering, please Tom?

Partly, and in some places just going with the flow and seeing what works. There were times where I feel it's gone wrong, then a few dabs with a brush and 'bingo' it comes to life.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Removeable loads - is that magnetic?

Yes removable but not magnetic. It's my version of what Geoff Kent describes in his first book. I use 20thou plasticard, with real coal pieces glued on top. It then sits on top of a piece of lego. Pushing down on one end of the load tips the other end up making removal simple.

post-24300-0-42028100-1548019198_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've fully loaded all 11 wagons of my loaded coal train with real coal, which I mined myself some years ago at Big Pit; the train is heavy enough to cause 8448 to slip just a little getting it under way, and the 56s too if I am careless with them.  Can't get the 4218 to miss a beat, though!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes removable but not magnetic. It's my version of what Geoff Kent describes in his first book. I use 20thou plasticard, with real coal pieces glued on top. It then sits on top of a piece of lego. Pushing down on one end of the load tips the other end up making removal simple.

attachicon.gifIMG_1646.jpg

I use a very similar system using a block of insulation foam tapered at one end on the base so that it tips for removal. It works well.

Jamie

I use a very similar system using a block of insulation foam tapered at one end on the base so that it tips for removal. It works well.Jamie

It’s a great little method!

So I mentioned that I had had enough of rolling stock....well I’ve been bitten by the 16T bug it seems! Last night I oopened the box of another! Changed the wheels over as the Bachmann ones had a wobble, and plan to repaint it this week!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3