Hi all,

I am now in a position to undertake commissions. Hoorah!

I will mainly be concentrating on buildings and structures to 7mm scale and above, but will be willing to look at pretty much anything railway-environment related.

Take a look at my threads listed in my signature - you'll see it's mostly Midland Railway apart from an LNWR signal box under construction but I can look at most British prototypes. You'll also see the very high standard of work I can produce. I have also had two articles so far appear in the Model Railway Journal over recent months with hopefully more in the pipeline; one describing the small goods office on Monk's Gate and the other on how I made the wicker baskets, packing crates and boxes also featured on Monk's Gate. Potential commissions for example could range from a handful of wicker baskets, to kit building, to an entire layout if you so wished. 

This is an exciting new venture for me and something that has been in the back of my mind to do for a long time. I've received lots of encouraging feedback on here and elsewhere and look forward to doing more of what I love. I have my own workshop at my home in Tunbridge Wells, Kent where I have lived for the past 31 years with my wife. I have four children and one granddaughter with a grandson on the way.

I'm more than happy to discuss commissions initially by sending me a personal message on here where you can provide a brief outline of what you're after. More complicated commissions may require a face-to-face depending on the location. Pricing will also be worked out on a job-by-job basis.

I will shortly have a website where you will be able to view a gallery of past and present work but this is under construction at the moment. I do have quite a few more photos of my work that haven't appeared on here or in MRJ if something grabs your interest.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Richard

• Like 6

Thanks! It's something I've wanted to do for quite a while. But has actually taken a surprising amount of courage to take the plunge. Fortunately I'm fairly well set up already in terms of workshop space and equipment - although it's a great excuse to invest in some new technology - eg 3D printer and laser cutter!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had the privilege of being shown around the fledgling preservation Vale of Berkley Railway at Sharpness in Gloucestershire, by the enthusiastic and charming Howard Parker. It’s an embryonic project and thoroughly captivating and equally charming. I heartily recommend logging on to their website and finding out about it if like me, up until fairly recently, you’ve never heard of it!

My involvement at this point will be to build a diorama model, to 7mm, of the Midland station building that used to stand at Berkeley. All that remains now are the foundations, but the building is very similar to those at Butterley and Stoke Golding.

It will be a fascinating model project in its own right, let alone the opportunity to help the Railway to raise awareness and funds to rebuild this station, along with the countless other money-sucking tasks that all need doing at once!

I wish Howard and his team all the very best.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's been quite a lot of activity going on in the background getting my website and Ebay pages up and running, and I'm very pleased to say both are fully functioning! My web address is in my signature below, and there are product pages on there that give the page listings for the products that I have on Ebay. There's more on the website, however, that isn't on Ebay yet.

The bespoke commissions side of things is one area I'm very keen to expand on, and have already had a couple of interesting conversations for some projects. Keep them coming...!

I'm in the process of designing new Text Sheets for the range of tea crates and assorted packing cases, with designs relevant to post-1923 and probably into BR days, as well as dreaming up some more product lines - such as square signal posts in solid maple, either straight or tapered. I am finding maple a superb material to work with for our purposes - it machines, cuts and drills very well and also takes paint nicely.

If anything else grabs your attention, do let me know.  

Cheers all.

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

Just a quick pointer, your website address shown has a comma and not a fullstop after the www so you might want to amend it.

All the very best

Grahame

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve added 4 new products to the range of ‘Nail Varnish’ logo sheets (I’m going to have to think up a better name for them...!).

They are:

Sheet 08

This is another version of Sheet 01, an A5 text sheet of 80 tea chests (4x20). But this time based on fonts and designs similar to those seen in the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s. Sheet 01 was more applicable to the pre-grouping era whereas this is suited to the British Rail steam era and I’m sure will prove equally - if not more - popular.

Sheet 09

This is another version of Sheet 02, also A5 and also applicable in style to the British Rail steam era.

Sheet 03

This is an A4 sheet containing text for 225 labels of the tea chests and assorted crates as on Sheets 01 and 02. So if you really want to go to town, this is for you!

Sheet 04

Also an A4 sheet containing text for 259 labels - all assorted crates but no tea chests.

My website has been updated with all of these products along with EBay listing numbers.

Happy modelling!

• 2 months later...

Here’s some 7mm barrels I’ve done recently as part of a bigger order. They are the Slater’s mouldings but with added hoops. You can just make out some ‘stenciled’ markings as well. Ten barrels like these would cost £25.post-31608-0-63804700-1547905447_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Been experimenting with making some round baskets. Saw a photo of a line of trolleys loaded up with these.  Not sure what the contents would have been, possibly crockery as they were standing outside a Midland Railwat hotel. 

A set of a dozen would cost £72. Sounds a lot - they may only be about 14mm across but there’s a lot of work that goes into them. And I think they look quite good.

2B1AA008-F0C3-407E-AA3C-CABCDF95DACE.jpeg

Edited by Tricky
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Also been playing with salad boxes. Again based on a great photo of these, possibly at Grantham in the 60s. The writing above ‘Salad’ reads ‘Not Washed’ and on the ends ‘Hand picked for freshness’, and if your eyes are up to it is actually decipherable! Available in batches of 12 for £36. I’ve got a lot of updating of the website to do...!

5C66ECB1-5D3A-4272-9945-B066FCCBFC0D.jpeg

A68C9E34-B893-4595-A9DD-AE17BD28447B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here’s some Autocad artwork I’ve been working on for the instantly recognisable GW font used for a lot of their signwork. I’ve created pretty much the whole alphabet in 3 font sizes and also working on numerals and an & so all station signwriting is possible. Next up with this one will be to frame it. F1DC566D-3A6D-4292-A9DE-A2682B7222F4.jpeg.9963fe1d9983e876e61f01ee44f61012.jpeg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Did a bit of sign writing yesterday. The original depot used to stand on Vine Street, near Farringdon. Just a bit of weathering to tone down the brightness. O’s and S’s are tricky!

76B37E5C-72BF-41CD-8C8B-84ED70198D83.jpeg.21ed1164a61cf180cdf241dda261a64c.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve posted this elsewhere on this forum but thought I’d make mention of it here too: I have been offered voluntary redundancy from my ‘proper’ day job which I have gladly taken, and only have this week left. It’s been brewing for a while and to be honest is a blessed relief! 

It means at long last I can devote some decent time and effort in developing Monk’s Gate Models as my primary business. My existing website is in the process of being radically overhauled and which I am working towards being ready to launch in time for the Uckfield exhibition where I will be exhibiting ‘Bristol’ before handing over to its new owners. If you’re planning on heading over to Uckfield 19/20 October, do come and say hello...!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tricky said:

Big news of the day - my new website is now live! Just a small issue with swapping over url’s but the old site directs you to the new for now. Still lots to do but it’s a start....! 

Hi.  Could I suggest you change the website link in your signature to the new one?!  

5 hours ago, 26power said:

Hi.  Could I suggest you change the website link in your signature to the new one?!  

I’m just waiting for the monksgate url to swap to the new site, at which time the old directing you to the new will be ditched. I did consider temporarily changing my signature but decided against it as hopefully this situation will only exist for a couple of days. 

• Like 1