Dapol CAF TPE/CS Mk5 Carriages Proposal (OO and N scale).

BritishRail60062

Hello everyone.

For of all as a friendly note to the forum stuff. Please feel free to remove this topic if it has already been discussed before or if another thread like this exists. I would like the propose the possibility of Dapol to consider producing the CAF Mk5's in OO and N scale in their 2019 range and here is why. Dapol have announced a Class 68 in the TPE colours from what I have seen on social media and DJM are in the process of making a Class 92 in the majority of liveries available and that includes the Serco Caledonian Livery if I recall correctly?

So at the present time. There are only two operators in the Mainline UK that have these CAF Mk5 carriages that are being tested as I speak metaphorically speaking. I understand that a lot of modellers that like the Steam and the BR era may not be interested in a model of such a modern sleek train. The Dapol Class 68 model must be popular for Dapol to announce a TPE Class 68. So therefore I think Dapol would have the newest train on the block in their bag that would appeal to the modern image modeller.

The TPE version could include the driving trailer cab car that could the carriages could be sold as a pack or as individual items. Although the Serco Caledonian Sleeper carriages would be more viable to be sold individually as then it would give the modeller/user the flexibility to make a suitable sized train to fit their needs.

As always. I welcome all positive and constructive feedback on this new rolling stock model proposal.

All the best

Ash.

• RMweb Premium

Like everything depends on price , but if at say Hornby levels of price, I’d certainly be interested in TPE mk 5s . I think they look very stylish . Don't know much about them , but is it the same bodyshell except for the driving trailers? Should have said looking for OO

Edited by Legend

In practice the model railway companies will approach the Mk 5 owners to make a proposition and hammer out a deal. The winner gets to make the model. We know Hornby and others lost to Dapol to make the 68, but - unless Dapol have 1st dibs - it will be open season again to get the rights to make the coaches.

See post 1867 on the subject of Dapol’s Class 68s. Sadly, there’s no immediate prospect of RTR Mk. Vs from Dapol. They would make a very handy short train for layouts along the lines of the WAG Trains. I’d jump at them, subject to cost, of course. There are now two operators using them but there would be a lot of tooling needed to produce all the variations.

It was in 1984 that I had an overnight trip in a Mk. III sleeper. They are still impressive and were even more impressive then. However, take a look at this!

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2016/06/29/caledonian-sleeper-reveals-prototype-mk-5-interiors

In practice the model railway companies will approach the Mk 5 owners to make a proposition and hammer out a deal. The winner gets to make the model. We know Hornby and others lost to Dapol to make the 68, but - unless Dapol have 1st dibs - it will be open season again to get the rights to make the coaches.

Always assuming that the licence - which will probably involve payments to CAF and TPE - is affordable. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

It would be odd, though, for someone other than the 68 manufacturer to produce the accompanying coaches . Why would Hornby make Mk5s with nothing to pull them? As I'm typing this I'm thinking the opposite is usually true ie they provide HST power cars with no accompanying coaches! I'm hoping that Dapol could make these and tie it in with their excellent 68. I really fancy the TPE one, but theres just nothing it could reasonably run with as the TPE liveried locos are in a dedicated pool, so wont be seen on ballast trains etc.

It would be odd, though, for someone other than the 68 manufacturer to produce the accompanying coaches . Why would Hornby make Mk5s with nothing to pull them? As I'm typing this I'm thinking the opposite is usually true ie they provide HST power cars with no accompanying coaches! I'm hoping that Dapol could make these and tie it in with their excellent 68. I really fancy the TPE one, but theres just nothing it could reasonably run with as the TPE liveried locos are in a dedicated pool, so wont be seen on ballast trains etc.

Then you have Mk 3s from Oxfordrail who have no loco suited to pull them nor matching paint colours from other makes with suitable locos.

Good points raised there on many factors. To be fair to Oxford Rail. They have yet to produce anything modern in terms of a locomotive. Be Diesel or Electric but I think they are trying the waters with the Mk3a as it was first introduced by BR in the early 1980's (I am not including the HST's here) to replace aging Mk1's and some of the large windowed Mk2's on the WCML at the time. They are planning to do Virgin Trains and maybe they might consider doing the ONE Anglia liveries.

That said and the reason I am hoping that Dapol would consider making the Mk5's by CAF is because at present there is no modern passenger stock in OO gauge if I remember right although they do make N gauge Mk3's and the DVT in N scale. Taking that into account. I would love to see Dapol make the Mk5's just to see something different and the TPE Mk5's with the cab car unit at the other end with all the lights etc would look grand with their TPE Class 68 :).

Guest teacupteacup

It would be good to see a manufacturer pick these up, and would be joined up thinking if Dapol done them - consistent colouring!  

I guess it'd be all down to costings - license, research and scanning before they even get to CADs, and there are a number of bodyshells to tool for.  Im sure I read somewhere that an operator is considering going back to loco haulage, so if they sourced new stock from CAF then the possibility of another operator could dilute the costings, making the models more viable.

And scaling the CADs down to N could spread the costs even further.

Would be nice to see them though, Im not a modern modeller but would be nice to see nonetheless

• RMweb Premium

Then you have Mk 3s from Oxfordrail who have no loco suited to pull them nor matching paint colours from other makes with suitable locos.

Good point, but then Oxfordrails choices have been somewhat bewildering and illogical. From NBR wagons with nothing to pull them to rail guns . Truly bizarre

• RMweb Gold

You were not a purchaser of Dapol N gauge HST coaches then - fifty shades of grey on the rooves.

Sadly down to protracted deliveries but I think recent work has been better . On topic I hope the class 68 can get mK5s - I folk could lobby Crosscountrytrains to get some for the future business as the 220s are now coming towards 20 years time they were retired or cascaded. I think it would help the case .  I can see Mk5s between HST power cars while the single ended 68/7 gets built -  It really is history rewriting itself as the original HST was a stop gap.... well quite a gap filler in reality. 

Good point, but then Oxfordrails choices have been somewhat bewildering and illogical. From NBR wagons with nothing to pull them to rail guns . Truly bizarre

Not really. Apart from a few zealots of the type that populate the Hornby Facebook pages I think that most people realise that virtually all RTR 00 gauge model railways are compatible.

Oxford Rail is just starting up. If you looked at the Airfix, Mainline and Lima ranges in the late 1970s then they were equally diverse. Airfix air conditioned Mark Twos with nothing to pull them for example (Class 31s don't count). As well as Wild West locomotives and carriages. 

It's just that Hornby and Bachmann have had decades to build a more coherent range. Much of which was inherited from their predecessors.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

You would need to look at the tooling costs for the different sorts of bodyshells used, particularly for the sleepers. This would likely make it an expensive proposal given the relatively low potential sales.

I thin crowdfunding might be the way forward to finance these if the major manufacturers don't wish to take it on.

• RMweb Premium

I would have at least one rake of the TPE MK5s with the DTs in OO Gauge. A rake to go with 68019 which has recently been announced by Dapol in OO. 

I am sure that in 2019 and 2020 we will see further TPE 68s in OO so I could potentially justify a second rake. 

With regards to the Caledonian Sleeper MK5s I would have some of these in OO too, although we will have to see if the appropriate 73/96s materialise to go with them. If so I could potentially justify a rake of these two, along with a couple of 73/96s to have at the front of the train. 

So yes I would really like them both along with the TPE DTs in OO Gauge. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130381-caf-mark-5-coach-in-4mm-scratchbuild/

I am partway through doing CADs for Mk5 bodyshells to be 3D printed. As you can imagine, the cab end of the DT is proving the hardest. Since Dapol have announced their TPE liveried 68 and the real things have done test runs, I should really get on with it. Especially now I have more photos the CADs should be easier.

TPE stuff on page 2

• Like 2

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130381-caf-mark-5-coach-in-4mm-scratchbuild/

I am partway through doing CADs for Mk5 bodyshells to be 3D printed. As you can imagine, the cab end of the DT is proving the hardest. Since Dapol have announced their TPE liveried 68 and the real things have done test runs, I should really get on with it. Especially now I have more photos the CADs should be easier.

TPE stuff on page 2

Do the class 397 EMUs share the same bodyshells (roofs and solebar stuff apart) ? The cab ends certainly look very similar 

Do the class 397 EMUs share the same bodyshells (roofs and solebar stuff apart) ? The cab ends certainly look very similar

I have mentioned in the thread, I reckon they do have a few major components in common, although that is pure speculation.

I would personally buy three rakes of the Mk5 carriages with the DT cab cars as I would have two in TPE livery although I would repaint one set into my own company livery as it would be something that would reflect my image if I were to have a Train Operating Company in the real world. I like the 3D Printed models that are available but for me, I would be too cack-handed to get a decent finish on them as I am just a amateur modeller to be honest. Taking that into account. I would prefer to buy a ready made model that I could plonk straight onto the track behind a locomotive and run it with a big grin on my face :).