MRJ 265

queensquare

Picked up a copy at Guildex. Another great issue. Mr Kazer’s Talyllyn buildings being more than enough reasons to justify purchase.

Looking at the advert for Scaleforum towards thevrear, there are a couple of photos of a rather nice GW yard layoutbin the advert. By reading the text, these are probably of the ‘Lower Rose Goods’ layout attending Scaleforum. Looks a good candidate for appearing in a future MRJ imho....

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a copy at Guildex. Another great issue. Mr Kazer’s Talyllyn buildings being more than enough reasons to justify purchase.

Looking at the advert for Scaleforum towards thevrear, there are a couple of photos of a rather nice GW yard layoutbin the advert. By reading the text, these are probably of the ‘Lower Rose Goods’ layout attending Scaleforum. Looks a good candidate for appearing in a future MRJ imho....

Cheers,

Andrew

Definitely MRJ standard and already well covered here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95206-lower-rose-goods/

Edited by 2mmMark

Yes, those Talyllyn buildings are indeed superb.

I remember them as they were in the early preservation era, around 1955 or so, when a ride up the line was akin to a trip on a cross-channel ferry in a fresh westerly; happy days! No-one would want to experience the same air of decrepitude on a preserved line these days, but way back then it all seemed part of the fun.

Edited by John_Hughes
  • Like 1

Don't they keep one put aside for you now?

Why? They get at least six or seven copies in.

Ah, you've just brought back memories of school when I would call in to Smiths in Buckingham on my way home and check the filing cabinet to see if my monthly fix was in, sadly it was not MRJ at the time.

Top shelf publication?

I'd have thought that you would have been one of their more important customers, given your acquaintance with the premises.

Hardly. The most important "customer" is the mentally-ill bloke who comes in most days, gravitating towards the post office section, talks loudly to an imaginary companion, then shambles out.

• RMweb Gold

Hardly. The most important "customer" is the mentally-ill bloke who comes in most days, gravitating towards the post office section, talks loudly to an imaginary companion, then shambles out.

You spying on me....?

• RMweb Gold

But you clearly spend sufficient time in there, to be able to note the comings and goings of various characters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do the office outgoing post, so I do see the same poor bloke. He looks a bit like you, but with more hair.

Well, he must be a very long-haired hippy layabout, even more so than me.

On a slightly less serious note, I must say that I found this issue really excellent, with all articles being of interest.

Please can we have more correspondence from W.S. Norris as well!

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

There's more in the next issue, along with a couple of pictures.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

I do find all these accounts of these wealthy 'gentlemen modellers' of a certain era absolutely fascinating. Apart from the sheer quality of the models, it opens an interesting window into the past.

There were one or two similar articles in the MRJ Compendiums, I think?

• RMweb Premium

As I often travel over the still existing bridge on the line between Cockfield and Whelnetham the ‘Cockfield Thunderbolt’ intrigues me. Sadly the WHS I visited yesterday ( Ipswich) was sans any copies. Don’t often visit town centres these days, where all the WHS seem to be in this area, no one else seeming to stock MRJ, so I’ll have to be patient and wait a bit longer, another week or two. I have little doubt it will be worth it.

Izzy

As I often travel over the still existing bridge on the line between Cockfield and Whelnetham the ‘Cockfield Thunderbolt’ intrigues me. Sadly the WHS I visited yesterday ( Ipswich) was sans any copies. Don’t often visit town centres these days, where all the WHS seem to be in this area, no one else seeming to stock MRJ, so I’ll have to be patient and wait a bit longer, another week or two. I have little doubt it will be worth it.

Izzy

The Woodbridge WHS stock it, usually half a dozen copies.