Exactoscale Track Components

mike knowles

It was a ball and socket arrangement that fitted inside the neoprene tube. The b & s provided alignment, the flexible tube provided power transmission.

I don't think that all the original Exactoscale items changed hands. Some were frankly over complicated, the original "cam" operated turnout operating units being a good example. I think I've still got some examples of the early Exactoscale stuff, should anyone wish to start a Black Museum.

I have some of there and think they are fantastic, much better in my opinion of anything else

I think this backfired on P4 and indeed “finescale” generally, leading to the idea that it wasn’t for anyone but a small group of dedicated obsessives, and creating accusations (justified or not) of elitism. As far as I can see, the Scalefour Society was created as much to redress that as over the strange setup of the original P4 Society.

Sadly, I think there is still some backwash over that, despite the peaceful merger of the P4S into S4MRS. Would love to see just one organisation for 4mm scale: after all, both S4Soc and EMGS constitutionally accept 00, EM and P4 modellers, and presumably those who model to different 4mm scale gauges, as well as other scales.

Totally agree that perhaps representatives of each groups belonging to one overseeing group who would speak up for 4 mm scale modellers. Let’s face it scale and aims for better quality RTR models are similar which ever scale one uses. I think having one group speaking up for 4mm scale better than small factione

Edited by hayfield

Which, the U/J drives or the TOUs?

Jol

The turnout operating units. I still have some 00 ones which I hope I can use for a small P4 inglenook I plan to start. Hoping to use the 00 ones and just bend the wires a little more

I found the universal joints too rigid, but may have used them wrongly

Jol

The turnout operating units. I still have some 00 ones which I hope I can use for a small P4 inglenook I plan to start. Hoping to use the 00 ones and just bend the wires a little more

I found the universal joints too rigid, but may have used them wrongly

I believe that London Road originally had them but they all failed over a fairly short time, with the exception of one that Bernard Weller assembled, silver soldering it together. The others were all soft soldered. Great idea in theory, but not that practical in reality.

I believe that London Road originally had them but they all failed over a fairly short time, with the exception of one that Bernard Weller assembled, silver soldering it together. The others were all soft soldered. Great idea in theory, but not that practical in reality.

I superglued mine, though I guess Loctite would be better. Must admit never got a lot of use

I notice that all the Exactoscale track components seem to have now been removed from the C&L website.

I've looked on the Scalefour Stores website but can't seem to find any mention of them now stocking these items.

Does anyone have any idea if they are currently available (I'm specifically after some 7mm scale 3 bolt chairs).

I did put a post on the Scalefour Forum a few weeks ago asking Andrew Jukes what was happening with regard to 7mm track components but as yet have not had a reply.

Have just this minute packed some 7mm S1 chairs

I will have some plus Bridge and Slide Chairs at Scaleforum this weekend

Tony Sullivan

MNW!919

Have just this minute packed some 7mm S1 chairs

I will have some plus Bridge and Slide Chairs at Scaleforum this weekend

Tony Sullivan

MNW!919

Thanks Tony.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Scaleforum and for the few chairs I needed at the moment (to complete the last siding on our club layout) I used some from C&L.

However good to know things are moving forward so I can get back to planning my own 7mm layout.

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed it for you.

Since I joined the EMGS I certainly haven't been asked for evidence that I own a set of EM gauges (shh.. don't tell them, I think I might have a couple of 00 gauges somewhere too).

Since I joined the EMGS they haven’t had 3 point track gauges or their starter EM gauge sets in stock themselves so they are not in a position to point fingers.

// Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see that Exactoscale products are now available via their web site

https://exactoscale.com/track-components/

Ordering and paying is a bit clunky - not that I have tried it. The 10% mail order fee seems a bit costly then there's 50p packaging charge (thought the mail order fee would have covered this) plus minimum postage of  £3.82 (signed for 2nd class). Still if you want these products it's the only place to go since C&L appear still to be having problems.

A tip for my 4-SF (00SF) colleagues, I have used the EM check rail chairs on the turnouts of my latest layout with no problems.

There are no EM gauge chec

Ordering and paying is a bit clunky - not that I have tried it. The 10% mail order fee seems a bit costly then there's 50p packaging charge (thought the mail order fee would have covered this) plus minimum postage of  £3.82 (signed for 2nd class). Still if you want these products it's the only place to go since C&L appear still to be having problems.

A tip for my 4-SF (00SF) colleagues, I have used the EM check rail chairs on the turnouts of my latest layout with no problems.

There are no EM gauge check rail chairs!!  The E4CH 403A (0.8mm flangeway) are P4 gauge widened, I adapt them for both EM and 00SF by cutting through one of the chair halves and resetting them in gauge

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, it's just that on their drawing of the check rail chair on the web site they say:

4CH 403A – Check chair (EM 0.8mm flangeway)

Either way, I have used them uncut for 4-SF and all is fine.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold
4CH 403A – Check chair (EM 0.8mm flangeway)

Either way, I have used them uncut for 4-SF and all is fine.

Hi Jonathan,

You have increased the check span to 14.4mm, or reduced the track gauge to 16.0mm. If the former, some 00 RTR models will rub or bind across the check and wing rails. If the latter their flanges will bind between the rails.

By all means create your own standard -- BUT GIVE IT A NEW NAME OF YOUR OWN.

4-SF (00-SF) uses 1.0mm flangeways. If you use 0.8mm flangeways it is NOT 4-SF (00-SF).

I'm not doubting that what you are doing works for you, but it is NOT 4-SF and it is not fair to beginners to publish misleading information about 4-SF like this. Using 0.8mm flangeways is NOT 4-SF (00-SF) and won't work for the many users who want to run unmodified RTR.

It is the reason so many standards get in a mess -- folks make some private change to the dimensions, and then say that they are still using P4 or S gauge or whatever. How hard is it to create your own name for your modified version?

Martin. 

Edited by martin_wynne

Jonnathan

I think if you check the EM gauge standards its 1 mm, though you set the check rails with a check rail gauge, where the important measurement is in relation to the vee and not the stock rail. I see what they have written on their site and would be very interested in hearing how they have come up with this explanation. At a guess as many adapt these chairs for use with EM, 00sf and 00 gauges the assumption is as they are not a standard P4 size, they must be for something else. Glad they work, but may struggle with EM wheel sets which are on the slightly coarser extremes of the tolerances 

I spoke with Len Newman quite a few years ago at the Watford Finescale show and asked about them, his reply to me was they were a mistake (he was not very well at the time) However Martin Wynn suggested that they do match up with P4 gauge widened check rail tolerances, in the absence of confirmation from Mr Newman they will remain a slight mistry 

Still if you want these products it's the only place to go since C&L appear still to be having problems.

No it isn't- the Scalefour Society & EM Gauge Society are stocking them, for sales to members (which includes 'day members - ie those who visit the shows they run).

The Exactoscale track parts are available through the gauge societies (EMGS, Scalefour and Scale7) without the 10% mail order fee, and they have their own postage and packing charges. All you have to do is become a Member.