11 replies to this topic

#1 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:42

Hi All

Does anyone have any experience of these good or bad including installation on an existing layout? I have track laid but no ballast in place yet.

https://www.modeljun...-uncoupler.html

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Gilbert, 30 August 2018 - 09:42 .

#2 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:27

What are they like? I started a new inglenook, purely because I had a spare and nowhere to fit it....

http://www.rmweb.co....rew-uncouplers/

I've not tried to retro-fit one (ie drilling up from underneath with the track in place), but I'm sure you'll find a way...!

Edited by 298, 30 August 2018 - 10:29 .

#3 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:43

I am using Kadees on British stock on my new shunting puzzle layout and trying to improve the reliability - mainly avoiding unwanted uncoupling which does seem to occur from time to time - just debating whether to invest in one and try it...I have a fixed magnet on the previous layout which is fine 90% of the time - I assume the steel axles on British OO stock cause some of the problems and I'm wondering if the on/off function will solve it.

Edited by Gilbert, 30 August 2018 - 10:44 .

#4 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 17:42

I always thought permanent magnets had a bit of a stigma about them, but with properly adjusted couplers and weighted/dragging stock (that is less of an issue on a shunting plank).

Ironically my inglenook is more advanced than the initial layout I brought the uncouplers for, and find that I tend to leave the magnet on/in position when switching as I don't get phantom uncoupling. But now it is fitted i can use it either way, and the LED is a useful indicator of where to find it.

#5 Butler Henderson

Butler Henderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 20:19

I am using Kadees on British stock on my new shunting puzzle layout and trying to improve the reliability - mainly avoiding unwanted uncoupling which does seem to occur from time to time - just debating whether to invest in one and try it...I have a fixed magnet on the previous layout which is fine 90% of the time - I assume the steel axles on British OO stock cause some of the problems and I'm wondering if the on/off function will solve it.

I use wherever possible the much maligned IMO original Bachmann wheelsets with a plastic centre to the axle but even then then unintentional uncoupling can occur so I have undertrack magnets located on hinges and lifted / lowered in place by servos. I take  this Rapido product to be an improvement on the rather clunky Kadee Electromagnet. Not too keen on the LED - I mark the location of the magnet by a bird glued to a lineside structure.

Edited by Butler Henderson, 30 August 2018 - 20:20 .

#6 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 21:05

I always thought permanent magnets had a bit of a stigma about them, but with properly adjusted couplers and weighted/dragging stock (that is less of an issue on a shunting plank).

Ironically my inglenook is more advanced than the initial layout I brought the uncouplers for, and find that I tend to leave the magnet on/in position when switching as I don't get phantom uncoupling. But now it is fitted i can use it either way, and the LED is a useful indicator of where to find it.

I agree but however much I fettle I always seem to end up with a rogue wagon of some sort - usually one I really want to use - and I want to eliminate as much of the problem as possible!

Edited by Gilbert, 30 August 2018 - 21:06 .

• Like x 1

#7 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 22:01

Not too keen on the LED - I mark the location of the magnet by a bird glued to a lineside structure.

The LED is on a separate 12v feed, so although it isn't mentioned in the instructions, you could fit a dimmer to control its brightness. Although it's only use is operational and has no prototype credibility, I sometimes have trouble finding the centre of a hidden magnet on someone else's layout, and would even consider LED markers with permanent magnets.

#8 newbryford

newbryford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,275 posts
  • LocationAbout 10 miles from the Centre of The Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2018 - 23:05

I have one to play with but haven't yet fired it up. Plan is to find a suitable DCC accessory decoder to power it.

This reminds me that I must get on with it sooner rather than later.

#9 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:15

I shall acquire one from Model Junction when i return from hols and give it a go...

• Like x 1

#10 Stubby47

Stubby47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationA Welsh exile in Kernow

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:34

You can get 3 Dingham uncouplers for the same price. Yes, they are bigger, and don't have a LED, but a small dab of paint on the sleeper end works for me.

( usual disclaimers apply)

#11 Gilbert

Gilbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:58

You can get 3 Dingham uncouplers for the same price. Yes, they are bigger, and don't have a LED, but a small dab of paint on the sleeper end works for me.

( usual disclaimers apply)

Do they work for Kadees as well?

• Like x 1

#12 Stubby47

Stubby47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationA Welsh exile in Kernow

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:13

Do they work for Kadees as well?

Ah, probably not.