Suitable DCC Sound Decoder and speakers for Dapol 08

Art Dent

Hi again folks!

Another query ...

Having taken the plunge into O-Gauge and bought a Dapol 08 RTR loco (it was a bargain), I am looking to fit a Zimo MX644D with a Paul Chetter Sound Project into it.

Digitrains, Lincoln offer several different variations and I was looking for advice as to what folks generally consider the best (and also for ease of use regarding driving the loco).

Also, the Dapol 08 has a large amount of room inside - big enough to fit a large stay-alive and one or two large speakers.

Again, any advice on these gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation,

Art

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Digitrains sound file.

I have a double Zimo sugar cube speaker in my 08 and a colleague has a base reflex in his, both with the same sound file. The effect is different for both and largely a question of taste.

We haven't fitted stay-alive facilities to our 08s but there is certainly room for a capacitor as well as either of the above speakers.

Pauliebanger of this parish produces the sound files for Digitrains and may be along in a while to give you further information.

Hi again folks!

Another query ...

Having taken the plunge into O-Gauge and bought a Dapol 08 RTR loco (it was a bargain), I am looking to fit a Zimo MX644D with a Paul Chetter Sound Project into it.

Digitrains, Lincoln offer several different variations and I was looking for advice as to what folks generally consider the best (and also for ease of use regarding driving the loco).

Also, the Dapol 08 has a large amount of room inside - big enough to fit a large stay-alive and one or two large speakers.

Again, any advice on these gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation,

Art

As Ray says above, the Digitrains ones are the best, PLUS they work all the lights correctly, and have F2 as a brake.

For a speaker, check out Jintyman of this parish, he does a BIG one, that I've fitted into all my 08's and it's awesome.

In fact I'm ordering another 08 chip from Digitrains tomorrow and have a speaker on it's way from Jintyman.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Digitrains sound file.

I have a double Zimo sugar cube speaker in my 08 and a colleague has a base reflex in his, both with the same sound file. The effect is different for both and largely a question of taste.

We haven't fitted stay-alive facilities to our 08s but there is certainly room for a capacitor as well as either of the above speakers.

Pauliebanger of this parish produces the sound files for Digitrains and may be along in a while to give you further information.

Thanks Ray.

I think Pauliebanger may well be the afore-mentioned Paul Chetter - but I may be wrong (and frequently am according to SWMBO)!

Pauliebanger answered this query on another forum and I'm guessing that it is the same person (in much the same way that I am the same Arthur Dent).

Would like a big speaker in a box to give lots of bass volume! I've also head good things about the speaker units for iPone 6/6s/7 regarding bass. Perhaps the two could be wired in parallel if the impedance was OK?

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 1

Thanks Ray.

I think Pauliebanger may well be the afore-mentioned Paul Chetter - but I may be wrong (and frequently am according to SWMBO)!

Pauliebanger answered this query on another forum and I'm guessing that it is the same person (in much the same way that I am the same Arthur Dent).

Would like a big speaker in a box to give lots of bass volume! I've also head good things about the speaker units for iPone 6/6s/7 regarding bass. Perhaps the two could be wired in parallel if the impedance was OK?

Art

Yes the same Paul mate.

• 1 month later...

Have you got any more details of this speaker? I'd be interested to see what it's like compared to the ones I have. I have fitted mine with one like this: http://roads-and-rails.co.uk/store/p105/Small_O_Gauge_'Megabass'_Speaker.html

That fits over the motor, I moved the PCB down to the side, I'm only using TTS but even so, I'm really happy with the sound

Richard

Hi Richard,

I haven't used one yet (it is on my list of "things to do"), but I believe it is the main loudspeaker (like ebay item no 162608206509) although it is frequently mentioned in conjunction with fitting speakers in small models/tight spaces so it may be the earpiece speaker (like ebay item no 251912082179).

Perhaps those more knowledgeable could give you a steer as to which one is meant when these speakers are mentioned.

Of course, they are so cheap, it might be an idea to get both and give them a try.

Hope this helps,

Art

• RMweb Gold

Hi Art,

Just to follow up on AndyP’s post. Highly recommend Paul Chetter’s 08 sound project, and definitely the speaker from Jintyman is ideal for the 08 and one of the best I’ve come across. If you drop Jinty (David) and email he’s really friendly and I am sure will be happy to help you and answer any questions. He’s currently sorting out speakers for me Class 31 and Class 40 models!

Rich

Hi Art

I've three Dapol 08's. Two were from Tower Models already sound chipped with round speakers (in the position provided), they I thought were brilliant until I purchased my third from that well known auction site and ordered from Digitrains their Zimo ZS08AD Variant 2 with Paul's sound file with braking on F2, absolutely superb (in my humble opinion of course).

It also came with a Zimo LS50 x 15 x 14 Optimised '3D' speaker (fitted behind radiator grille) and Zimo 'stay alive' unit. 

Can not wait to convert my other two 08's to this system. Although I may leave one as they sound quite different.

The decoder is a straight forward 'plug in' but I did have a bit of a 'chew on' working out where to solder in the speaker and 'stay alive' but it was the first one I had done.

Just read the instructions carefully!

Well worth the effort.

Dave 

• Like 2

An update ...

In the end I went for a Zimo MX644D with the ZS08P sound project, a Dual Speaker in a 3D-printed enclosure (LS50x15x14) and Digitrains' own 860009 Stay-Alive.

I fitted them all today and everything works.

The speaker stands upright behind the radiator grille and is black-tacked in place.  It was a bit of a to ease into place as the length of the speaker is about the same as the height of the front end of the body.  The sound is awesome..

I made sure that the decoder was completely wrapped in Kapton tape (to avoid shorting on the main pcb below) and the Super Capacitor Stay-Alive is also similarly insulated and black-tacked on top of the main pcb.

The odel is really easy to drive and moves at speed step 1/128 (!)

Will post pictures of the decoder & speaker install on my programming / test track

Art

• Like 1

Art,

Welcome to the slippery slope that is 7mm, I've never regretted the move, and I'm sure you will feel the same now you have a " all singing all dancing 08 ".

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Art,

Welcome to the slippery slope that is 7mm, I've never regretted the move, and I'm sure you will feel the same now you have a " all singing all dancing 08 ".

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn.

I have to admit that I spent a good hour with the 08 just sitting there burbling away.

Makes OO look like a toy!

Art

As promised a few days ago, some pictures of the installation of the Zimo MX644D sound decoder, stay-alive capacitor and LS50 x 15 x14 dual loudspeaker.

Unfortunately, I didn't photograph these during the install and shoe-horning the loudspeaker into its final position means that it isn't coming out any time soon.

As it is tucked away in a dark recess at the front of the body, it isn't all that easy to see or photograph.

Anyhow ...

First picture, a general view.

45390272561_9797f6c55d_c.jpg

As you can see there is oodles of space inside the body - enough to fit some large speakers - maybe a bass reflex speaker and iphone speaker for treble?

You can see the Zimo MX644 Sound Decoder and the stay-alive unit (both wrapped in 'Kapton' tape) plus some additional insulation over the main pcb.

Another picture from the other side and a bit closer ...

31515189068_e4fd4fcc93_c.jpg

Here you can see that I've taped the blanking plate to the inside of the body (hopefully that way I won't lose it!)

The following picture shows the front of the loco with the decoder (left) and stay-alive (right) wrapped in 'Kapton' tape.

43573621360_1855175385_c.jpg

The black wires go to the top headlight and the purple wires to the speaker (difficult to see).

The purple wires have been black-tacked to the underside of the roof to prevent snagging on any moving parts.

Another attempt at showing the loudspeaker position ...

45339723782_cba5e54b95_c.jpg

... though a bit difficult to see (rather like looking at a black cat in a coal cellar with the lights off!)

So  I've highlighted the loudspeaker position in this picture.

30451295287_e65ae9feb4_c.jpg

The speaker is black-tacked to the left-hand side of the body (when looking forward) and at the bottom.

Plenty of room to add a further 'bass' speaker to the right-hand side of the body.

The stay-alive works well.  With the sound running and the loco stationary, the sound continues for almost a minute.

Not able to test the loco on a track as I only have a short length of O-Gauge track (for programming and testing purposes) so far and am in the process of fabricating my own OO and O-Gauge rolling roads, so I don't know how far it travels after the external power is cut.

Rolling road (courtesy of my school's laser cutter) should be fabricated tomorrow morning!

Hope this helps,

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 1