Revolution announce at Class 128, VEA, Cemflos, IPA and tanktainers, more Pendos and TEAs

Andy Y

Revolution Trains will be on stand 16 of the N Gauge International Show (TINGS) at Leamington this year, our fourth at the show. TINGS is the premier calendar event for N Gauge enthusiasts, and is the obvious place to take stock and look to the future with new announcements and suggestions.

The last 12 months have been very rewarding for Revolution as we delivered our much-admired Class 390 Pendolino (with Rapido Trains) and our first model aimed at the transition era modeller - the well received Class B 35T tankers. We have also enjoyed increasing take-up of our ongoing crowdfunding projects as more modellers see the potential in this approach for obtaining niche models that may otherwise be uviable for the mainstream manufacturers.

Our IZA Cargowaggon twin vans have just arrived, while the 00 TEA tankers are in the final stages of production and we are expecting to close the order book very soon on our KFA container flats and Class 92 electric locomotives now final working samples and livery drawings have been approved.

This all gives us the confidence to increase the ambition and scale of our operations. At TINGS we will be offering up five all new models, including our first non-crowdfunded model.

They are the Class 128 Parcels DMU, 20' tank containers (with C-Rail Intermodal), IPA car carriers, Cemflo wagons (with Accurascale) and VEA vans. We will also be offering new runs of our Class 390 Pendolino in Virgin's new white livery, and the award-winning TEA tankers in new liveries and as reruns.

The VEA is being produced by Sonic Models, a new company set up by a former Kader engineer and not crowdfunded.

To publicise all this we are also producing our first "catalogue", though actually it's just a folded colour A4 brochure, but we are still very excited about it!

VEA van is Revolution’s first super Sonic non-crowdfunded model!

unnamed.jpg

Revolution Trains is working with new manufacturer Sonic Models to produce the VEA van as a ready-to-run wagon in N gauge.

However, unlike Revolution’s other crowd-funded models, the VEA is being produced entirely independently and will be sold conventionally through model railway retailers.

In the late 1970s British Rail identified an ongoing need for short wheelbase vans for use in MoD depots with tight curves. Long wheelbase airbraked vans were not suitable, so between 1978 and 1983 more than 500 Vanwides were given airbrakes and coded VEA.

The wagons lasted in service until the mid 1990s and were used across the network for military supplies, explosives and ordnance, being particularly associated with Speedlink services.

The Revolution Trains/Sonic Models VEA will feature high levels of detailing including a chassis with the correct air brake equipment, kinematic NEM couplers and fine metal door handles.

5 different numbers are being offered in original BR Maroon (which looks more like brown), 5 in BR Railfreight Red/Grey and 3 in RfD yellow/grey. Weathered models are also proposed.

Sonic Models is a new Chinese company looking to produce models for the British market. A new locomotive is to be announced shortly.

Samples have already been received for approval, and the models are expected to be delivered to the UK sometime early in 2019.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “For modellers of the British Rail era, the VEA is a very useful wagon as it worked in short cuts in mixed Speedlink services as well as block trains.

“Most modellers find military trains appealing and they will go very well with some of the high quality BR blue and Sectorisation locomotives recently released,” he added.

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains said: “Although we are more used to coming up with our own ideas and then crowd-funding them, when the proprietor of this new company approached us with a model already completed we thought it right to do all we could to help get it to British modellers.

“The VEA is just the first of what we hope will be a long and successful collaboration with Sonic Models.”

The models will be produced in these formats and liveries:

BR Railfreight Maroon – 230011, 230019. 230026, 230034, 230049.

BR Railfreight Red Grey – 230060, 230063, 230117, 230156, 230443

BR RfD dark grey/yellow – 230142, 230498, 230523.

Weathered variants will also be offered.

RRP for this model is £19.50.

Revolution Trains parcels up diesel unit!

Revolution Trains – the company set up to use crowd-funding methods to bring niche models to the British model railway market – is offering the Class 128 Parcels Diesel Unit as its next powered model in N.

A total of ten single-unit Class 128s were built by the Gloucester Carriage and Railway Company and introduced in 1959. Four (M55987-990) were for the Midland Region and featured a central cab windscreen and headcode box at each end, while the remaining six (W55991-6) were for the Western Region, and had gangway doors and split headcodes.

Delivered in BR Green with whiskers, they received yellow panels, BR Blue livery and Post Office red, as well as some unique sector liveries, before withdrawal in 1991.

The Revolution Trains model will feature directional lighting, our usual high specification and detailing, optional bufferbeam dressing sets and, if there is adequate demand, we will explore the possibilities of adding DCC Sound versions too.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “The Class 128 is our first powered model aimed squarely at the popular transition era.”

“They ran across much of the network and we think that most N gaugers modelling the 1960s, 70s, 80s or 90s can find an excuse for one.”

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains said: “Although there were only ten of these units they made quite an impression – they’re a little quirky and exactly the kind of niche model that Revolution is able to offer.”

“Also, if it reaches production, this model will be designed with a low profile chassis which could form the basis for useful DMU and EMU models in the future.”

The order book will be opening for this model soon. As ever, it will only move forward if enough customers place orders.

The guide price for this model is around £125, however this may change due to currency fluctuations.

Revolution Trains looks to the Emerald Isle for Cemflos!

Revolution Trains – the company set up to use crowd-funding methods to bring niche models to the British model railway market – is teaming up with highly-regarded Irish model railway manufacturer Accurascale to offer the Cemflo PCV cement wagon in British N gauge 1:148 scale.

These wagons were built for Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (APCM) and lasted in service from 1961 until 1988.

They were particularly associated with the well-known traffic between Uddingstone, Glasgow, to Cliffe in Kent, but saw widespread service elsewhere in Northern England and Scotland.

The models will be available in both pre- and post-TOPS versions, with a variety of running numbers.

The Cemflo is Revolution’s third model aimed at the transition era market and follows our well-received Class B tankers and forthcoming Sturgeon A track carrier.

Accurascale have made a big impact on the British model railway market since launching their first product, the HUO hopper in 00, earlier this year and the Cemflo is their second wagon in 4mm scale.

This joint venture with Revolution Trains will offer British N gauge enthusiasts the chance to drive the production of similar models in N.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “A number of our customers – including those who successfully persuaded us to produce the Class B tanker – were lobbying for the Cemflo as it’s one of those iconic, unmistakable wagons.

“When we heard Accurascale were planning the same model a collaboration made perfect sense – especially given the quality of their HUO hopper in 4mm scale,” he added.

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains said: “Accurascale and Revolution Trains are both new, dynamic companies driven by a commitment to high standards.

Mine’s an IPA – courtesy of Revolution Trains!

IPA-1.jpg

IPA-5.jpg

Revolution Trains – the company set up to use crowdfunding methods to bring niche models to the British model railway market – is to offer the long-lived IPA “twin” car carriers in both flat deck and covered formats as its next ready-to-run wagon in N gauge.

Almost incredibly, these wagons were originally constructed from 1952 and, while much-modified over the years, many remain in frontline service today.

Coded TD-452 by operators STVA, the IPA flats started life as single wagons intended for French automotive traffic, and operated in this way for many years.

During the 1980s and 1990s, as STVA found itself needing more ferry wagons suitable for traffic within Britain and to and from the Continent, many were narrowed, to conform to the smaller UK loading gauge, re-configured into permanent twin sets, and given the TOPS code IPA-A.

Due to problems with vehicle damage – often from stones either thrown up by passing trains or hurled by vandals – some wagons were fitted with side staves for canvas sheeting. Then in the 2000s many were fitted with more permanent canvas side sheets and roofs for added protection. Some of these were remarshalled into 4-car sets, and re-coded IPA-B (UIC designation Laadffoos).

Nowadays the wagons can be seen in all configurations – plain (usually loaded with vans and light commercial vehicles), with side staves, or fully covered.

The covered variants are particularly associated with Jaguar/Landrover traffic export traffic between Merseyside, the Midlands and docks at Southampton, Bristol and Dagenham.

Most have now been repainted into STVA’s current livery of bright red with white lettering.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “Car carriers appopriate for layouts depicting the last three decades are a big missing link in British N, so the IPA is an obvious choice for us.

New Pendolinos – with added pride!

Revolution Trains is proposing a second run of its well-received Rapido Trains N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino units in Virgin’s new white/red silk livery – and one version will be in the eye-catching rainbow Pride colours.

Virgin began repainting its Pendolino sets toward the end of 2017, and so far about half of the fleet has been treated. The 9-car sets were treated first, and work has just recently moved on to the 11-car units.

Some of the trains are in plain white, in others the white is relieved by a black window band; Revolution plans to offer both as well as versions in the original livery but with grey doors.

In May Virgin unveiled 390045 in a dramatic rainbow “Ride with Pride” livery to celebrate its summer of diversity; this model will be offered too and seems sure to be popular.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “Rapido Trains have done an amazing job with this model, and we are delighted to be able to offer them again to those who missed out first time – in different liveries and numbers of course.

“Each version will be limited in numbers, so we urge customers to order early. When we offered 100 additional models to the first run they sold out in less than 48 hours,” he added.

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains said: “When we saw Virgin’s stylish new livery we contacted them straightaway about replicating it in N. We and Rapido are keen to respond quickly to give modellers what we believe they want.

The models will be available to order as follows:

New white livery:

390010 “Cumbrian Spirit” – first Pendolino repainted.

39005 “City of Wolverhampton” – with black window band

390045 “Virgin Pride” – with rainbow liveried power car.

390107 – First 11-car Pendolino repainted.

Original livery with grey doors:

390130 “City of Edinburgh”

390152 “Virgin Knight”

We are also offering a 9-car model in original livery but in post-2006 condition with coach designation letters on the doors:

390049 “Virgin Express.”

The order books for these models is expected to be open by time of printing, and they are expected for delivery in Q2 2019.

More TEA vicar? Ask Revolution Trains!

Revolution Trains is proposing a second run of its award-winning TEA 100t tanker wagons in N.

As well as offering the most popular of the first run liveries – including VTR red, EWS grey and Greenergy green and blue, the models will also be available in three new liveries: Carless grey, VTG aviation fuel pale grey and VTG green.

The Revolution Trains TEA tanker was Britain’s first successfully crowdfunded RTR model to be delivered, and was voted 2016 N Gauge rolling stock Model of the Year by the readers of RM Web and Model Rail magazine.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “So far Revolution Trains has been all about bringing new models to the marketplace. However, we have been inundated with requests for more of these wagons, so we have decided to give them another run.

“As ever though, we will only produce models to match pre-orders, and we may need to limit the numbers we do of each variant,” he added.

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains said: “The TEA was not just an important model for us, but for crowd-funding in general as it proved that, with dedication, commitment and a great deal of care with the finances, the concept can work to deliver great models.

“Now, two years on from that first delivery, we and Rapido Trains think the time is right to offer this model to a new cohort of customers.”

TEA - VTG green.jpg

TEA - VTG aviation.jpg

TEA - Petrochem Carless.jpg

The models will be available to order as follows:

Original versions: VTG red, VTG grey, VTG blue, EWS grey, Freightliner green. Greenergy triple pack. All with new running numbers.

New versions: Petrochem Carless grey/white, VTG pale grey, VTG rebranded Freightliner green.

Price approx £30.

Revolution says Tanks to C-Rail!

post-1-0-53526400-1536147816_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-61742900-1536147822_thumb.jpg

Revolution Trains is teaming up again with C-Rail Intermodal to offer a set of colourful tank containers as its second ready-to-run container model in N gauge.

This is an all-new model and represents the widely seen containers incorporating modern oblate tanks – the spotting point is the slightly flattened side – and they containers are ideal for use with Revolution’s imminent KFA container flats, and C-Rail’s upcoming KQA/KTA pocket wagon.

Revolution had previously worked with C-Rail to produce a range of well-received 40’ hi-cube containers.

Four variants are being offered initially – in Stolt, Bulkhaul, Hoyer and Nichicon liveries.

Samples have already been received for approval, and the models are expected to be delivered to the UK in Q1 2019. The price is £9 each.

Mike Hale of Revolution Trains said: “Intermodal trains are an attractive and commonplace feature of the modern railway, and these new tank containers illustrate Revolution’s commitment to helping N gauge enthusiasts model them accurately. “

Ben Ando from Revolution Trains added: “We are delighted to be working again with C-Rail Intermodal, who share our desire to offer N gauge modellers the widest variety of intermodal accessories.”

C-Rail Intermodal’s Arran Aird said: “I have had tank container kits in my range for a while, with C Rail and Revolution teaming up together makes these models a realistic proposition".

“The Nichicon model should also be popular with Japanese enthusiasts.”

post-1-0-78618200-1536147829_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-76781800-1536147835_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-98278100-1536147842_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-61083800-1536147856_thumb.jpg

The models will be produced in these formats and liveries:

20’ tank container “Stolt” white

20’ tank container “Hoyer” silver/red

20’ tank container “Bulkhaul” yellow/blue

20’ tank container “Nichicon”

RRP for this model is £9.00.

• Like 8

All I can say is wow.

A couple of chaps once asked about the viability of a Pendolino in N and now it's going mainstream with shop sold wagons.

And I am interested in the 128, I want to do something Northwest based in N and I remember these trundling around Victoria

• RMweb Premium

As someone who has just finished a rake of N Gauge Society VEA van kits, I am a tad annoyed.

I believe the phrase is Oh B*gg*r!

IPA too late for me but an excellent choice for all those ODC Transits before Ford shut down Eastleigh and moved production to Turkey.

VEA nice for a Speedlink train and I haven’t bought any NGS ones.

Class 128 interesting choice, I’d prefer the WR version in later BR blue but feel that a LMR version will find a home at Olympia and as mentioned by Revolution, 63ft chassis.......Class 119 please!

This is a surprise yet very welcome announcement. I definitely fancy a few of the VEAs and a couple of IPAs. The 128 will be hard to resist too.

Regarding the tank containers, what would be the earliest any of these liveries would have ran? Would any be appropriate for the original PFA version?

The futures bright. The futures N gauge.

Got my class B tanks today and over the moon with them and will certainly be getting several VEAs and very interested in the WR variant of class 128. I would be even happier if Revolution offered the WR version in Royal Mail red (as 55992........please, pretty please)

I'm really pleased about the 128 as I thought that a N Gauge version was unlikely with Heljan having produced an 00 version.

"when the proprietor of this new company approached us with a model already completed"

I do find it a bit odd that an unknown company would produce a model on spec like that.

It's early morning Down Under and I'm waking up and having to pinch myself to make sure it's not all just a dream.

Absolutely fantastic stuff with the Cemflo, 128 and VEA. More of my money coming your way :)

Edited by bingley hall

"when the proprietor of this new company approached us with a model already completed"

I do find it a bit odd that an unknown company would produce a model on spec like that.

One possibility, if you are trying to launch a new factory it can be helpful when trying to attract new customers to provide a sample of what you are capable of.

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant news all round.

The 128 looks the part and while I have no claim to any input but I have just finished a 3d print 128 in blue so post no6  also makes me smile.  I have also nearly finished some  GWR twin sets ...  All the wagons esp the VEA sit well with plans.  The IPA will be fun as where do you add weight to it - A range of cast dense resin transits ? . 

If you do not have room to run  a rake of IPAs you could model the lonely soul at Bordesley- but you do need to plant a tree growing through it and paint in Brum`s "best" freestyle livery.  

Thanks to Mike and Ben plus all the crowdfunders who have taken an inspired idea to such heights.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Plenty here to interest me  :senile:

I'm confident Ben and Mike will already have considered this when deciding to so mightily " increase the ambition and scale of our operations"   so I do hope that there will be reasonable gaps when it comes to requesting funds* for each project that meets the 'numbers required' criteria, I'd hate to register an interest and then find payments are squeezed into a limited window.  Although the VEA van is non-crowdfunded they're still going to significantly deplete the modest fortune at my disposal when available so hope their release is taken into account in that respect... Already started a new savings regime in anticipation.

Regards, Gerry.

*Mentioned in Ben's 'Leamington Reflections' post on the website  :imsohappy:

Edited by steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium

One possibility, if you are trying to launch a new factory it can be helpful when trying to attract new customers to provide a sample of what you are capable of.

The gent in question used to be a designer for Farish apparently, he wanted to stay in China so he set up his own business. He can make models but probably doesn't have the trade contacts to sell them. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't suppose the NGS are too chuffed either especially after taking on and putting the old Parkwood kit back in to production.

Maybe, maybe not. Two markets - RTR who will not build and those who enjoy a bit of building to keep hand in - both valid parts of the hobby, and not even the ends of the wide spectrum of enjoyment.   I found a John Dedman pic in his BR blue No 1 book - Southampto and the New Forest. class 33 and bright red new OCA, 2VEA and 3VDA . Other pics in MOD traffic -so ideal for micros.

Certainly up for a rake of cemflos- oh my aching wallet.

Hopefully they will stay coupled a little better than the B-tankers seem to want to - is it the lights of a show that cause odd couplings to droop despairingly while others spring to attention as if fuelled by Viagra?  Sod's law states that these will always be in adjacent vehicles.....

Les

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the support. In answer to a couple of queries:

So did we! But he seems to know what he is doing and having seen the samples I am sure this model will be a success. He is already planning his second...

I don't suppose the NGS are too chuffed either especially after taking on and putting the old Parkwood kit back in to production.

As an NGS VP I see your point, but as has been said this is RTR, not kit, and they are somewhat different markets. And also, is it fair to decide that because a kit exists of a useful prototype it should never be made available RTR?

Hopefully they will stay coupled a little better than the B-tankers seem to want to - is it the lights of a show that cause odd couplings to droop despairingly while others spring to attention as if fuelled by Viagra?  Sod's law states that these will always be in adjacent vehicles.....

Les

PM sent - but if anyone has coupler problems just let us know. We have spares. Sometimes there are tiny bits of flash on the tongue that can cause issues.

Hi,

...so I do hope that there will be reasonable gaps when it comes to requesting funds...

Regards, Gerry.

Yes, we are trying to stagger projects. Especially as we need people to have the funds to make them happen!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for the support. In answer to a couple of queries:

So did we! But he seems to know what he is doing and having seen the samples I am sure this model will be a success. He is already planning his second...

Cheers

Ben A.

Well if he's looking for a gap in the N gauge market how about a POA/SSA scrap wagon? It has always amazed me that Bachmann never shrunk down their OO SSA for their Farish range.