Location help 47471

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The Harwich to Manchester, later Glasgow and Edinburgh got diverted via Watford from 1986 I think... but had been formed of aircon stock from the early 80,s.

I agree it could be a diversion 1986 for the Norwich electrification being completed so fits the 84-87 timeframe.

• RMweb Premium

To précis the view we are looking east towards Stratford.

Hi Andy,

If this is Hackney Wick (and I'm now pretty sure it is), the bridge the train is crossing (at the ends of the platform) is the bridge over the River Lea Navigation - which is to the east of Hackney Wick station. Therefore Stratford is behind the camera and we are looking west (towards Dalston), not east.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I posted this on another forum and someone has suggested Hackney Wick.

This works for me with the overbridge being the canal, the odd looking footbridge and the curvature of the track in both directions.

Anyone care to confirm?

Nice one, I'll go with that.

Regards, Ian.

Yes, I'd agree.

Mystery solved!

The closest representations I can find are from the road overbridge next to the olympic park:

post-40-0-21239300-1536308886.png

post-40-0-00140900-1536308895_thumb.png

(Google streetview)

If you were to walk into the car park at the copperbox arena (to the right) you could probably get to the exact same vantage point

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

If this is Hackney Wick (and I'm now pretty sure it is), the bridge the train is crossing (at the ends of the platform) is the bridge over the River Lea Navigation - which is to the east of Hackney Wick station. Therefore Stratford is behind the camera and we are looking west (towards Dalston), not east.

Regards, Ian.

So we are looking West towards Hackney Wick. The 25mph PSR no longer exists then, as the curve has been eased? Edited by acg5324

Could it be the return Harwich-Manchester/Glasgow/wherever it went in the year in question?  It did go via the NLL later in its life, or, it could be a diversion due to Norwich line electrification work/Ipswich tunnel work, etc etc

For my sins, I have been on a footex to/from Ipswich. The train originated well up the WCML and I'm sure it went that way between Camden Junc and Stratford. 

Well I can sleep now that I know.

Just look at the changes:

1. Third rail lifted

2. OHLE installed

3. Olympic stadia build

4. High security fencing

And Hackney Wick station itself has only just re-opened having been rebuilt

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjp1KP8gandAhWKTsAKHZ3_C-UQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ianvisits.co.uk%2Fblog%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2Fhackney-wicks-brutalist-new-london-overground-station-opens%2F&psig=AOvVaw2fVuEaS0Q--agB4yub1T7d&ust=1536413895577068

Edited by Trains4U

So we are looking West towards Hackney Wick. The 25mph PSR no longer exists then, as the curve has been eased?

Apologies but I've just looked at my earlier information, post #48, and realised I got east and west muddled up.  I have just rechecked my spreadsheet and can confirm the limits are for Westbound services.

I have amended post #48.

Might be worth choring through the NENTA and Linkwise 'tours on SixBells in the timeframe. I'd be surprised if it used anything other than a Stratford Spoon though.

Dad and I did Linkwise trips around that time and the Bath/Brizzle/Cheddar Gorge excursions went that way - GEML to GWML?

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The line as it was in 2005 is in a cab-ride video on YouTube.

N.Woolwich - Richmond on a cl.313, line still has 3rd rail but there is OHLE too.

(At 16:30, train passes under a bridge then onto the stretch of line in the OP's photo)

• RMweb Premium

The line as it was in 2005 is in a cab-ride video on YouTube.

N.Woolwich - Richmond on a cl.313, line still has 3rd rail but there is OHLE too.

https://youtu.be/6sNawiVXao0

(At 16:30, train passes under a bridge then onto the stretch of line in the OP's photo)

Thanks for a "reminder". I have that DVD buried away somewhere, must dig it out and view again.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

A BIG thank you to everyone for your suggestions and finding the right location. I will be including it in my Eastern Region book.....which I had just finished scanning the photos in for......one more won’t hurt.......and I’ll include a thank you for finding the location in the caption.

You can all go and have a well deserved lie down!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A BIG thank you to everyone for your suggestions and finding the right location. I will be including it in my Eastern Region book.....which I had just finished scanning the photos in for......one more won’t hurt.......and I’ll include a thank you for finding the location in the caption.

You can all go and have a well deserved lie down!

Thank you Andy, I quite enjoyed the challenge!

Regards, Ian.