RMweb global announcement. Updated forum test ground.

• RMweb Gold

http://rmweb.co.uk/422test/index.php?/news.html/

I tried to look then I was asked to log in but it did not recognise my details. I tried to register but cancelled in case it caused confusion.

Is this a proposed new look? If so I would like to keep to this one that I am familiar with.

PS this seems to have been put up some time ago.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

For a balanced set of comments .....

I personally hope that example there IS a forthcoming new look, and that it will happen soon. The current design is showing its age, and hasn’t kept pace with changes in viewing / device technologies. I also know that Andy has hinted elsewhere about a need for moving to a new server, certainly for security (https) purposes, but presumably also for speed and capacity.

But some people (like me) thrive on change. Others hate it, or even the prospect of it. That’s fine, we all have different expectations, and I certainly don’t begrudge anyone from having a different perspective to me.

But I do hope this thread doesn’t get too serious. Andy will know very well that changing a site like this will reap as much angst as it will excitement. He is certainly on a “no win” path. My guess is that the reasons for him / Warner’s to change things up a bit are well enough thought through and necessary that they will follow through regardless of any discussion here. I trust Andy to know what he is doing here, and wish him well with the process.

Yep - that looks good to me. Breathes a little new life into something that's been a bit "samey" for a long time. No doubt there are other techie advantages other than just the look. Bring it on.

Why is this world obsessed with "change for changes sake"? Anyone heard the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? Apart from a pretty useless search facility, which I'm sure someone could upgrade without a completely new site, this seems a very good Webby thing. Old codgers like me like a bit of continuity and familiarity, and older things are always better than new ones, which is why all my locos have chimneys and LMS on their sides instead of those modern boring box things that you can't tell their face from their a**e.

(Assumes defensive position and awaits onslaught).

Bring it on:)

• Like 2

Ooooh, I'm not a fan! I don't like these modern website designs that are mainly aimed at people using the site on mobile devices. Especially when it comes to those menus that work great on mobile, but are a nightmare for those of us on PC!

But if it happens it happens, and we'll have to live it. I certainly wouldn't stop using the forum, but would probably use it less if it's less convenient to navigate for those of us not with out heads glued to a mobile phone. ;)

- Alex

Edited by Guest

....and older things are always better than new ones,

I trust you drive a 1970's car, then. And only play with Triang Hornby trains?

No? Oh, silly me :rolleyes: :sarcastichand:

RMweb has changed before, we'll get used to a new version soon enough, & I too spotted the possible return of the Classifieds :good:

Is this a proposed new look? If so I would like to keep to this one that I am familiar with.

PS this seems to have been put up some time ago.

It was a test site; as you can see the dates are sometime ago. 

It's a new version of the software; it needs to be implemented for reasons of security updates and will bring additionally functionality. If you can use this version you won't have any problem with the new one once you've gone through 'acclimatisation'.

Why is this world obsessed with "change for changes sake"? Anyone heard the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? Apart from a pretty useless search facility, which I'm sure someone could upgrade without a completely new site, this seems a very good Webby thing. Old codgers like me like a bit of continuity and familiarity, and older things are always better than new ones, 

See above; it's change for a reason.

I like and understand what we have, I don't do change very well.

Please stay as we are boys.

Every site should change and evolve. Look at BBC News web pages , it's been a steady evolution over the years and if you go back to a post-millenium page it looks awful. People moan every time that changes too.

I always find it quite depressing when people grumble about change before they've experienced it, they've made their mind up before it's even happened.

And no, no-one will be able to stay on the 'old' version.

• Like 10

I always find it quite depressing when people grumble about change before they've experienced it, they've made their mind up before it's even happened.

People grumble because they have experienced change, and the change was for the worse. In my recent experience PayPal, Gmail and eBay have all changed, and not for the better. The new Rails and Bachmann sites have also had a lot of criticism in these pages. If the site is/was poor, by all means improve it. People get apprehensive when they can't see anything wrong with what they've already got, and cannot readily see room for improvement, only the scope for making things worse unintentionally.

I'd better not go telling anyone what the additional features that will be added, step by step, after the changes are implemented.

I remember the belly-aching when I brought in the different post rating icons; three years later Facebook decided to bring in something similar. Talking of Facebook there's something that works quite well on there (groups) which will become an option on here with the capability to have micro-sites within the wider community - a development of the special interest concept so the site can become more about the specific interests of individuals. No? It'll never catch on so I may as well bin it before making it so.  :sungum:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Andy, is there going to be an overhaul of the way the mobile version works at the same time?

It would be nice to be able to change pages a little easier (than having to manually click through every page) and more importantly be able to upload images when in mobile mode.

Look forward to the upgrade, the PC version at least looks very promising. 

• RMweb Premium

Andy

The big question is, will my model railway resemble those super duper ones that members keep referring to and will my locos and stock stop derailing? 

As long as I don't have to go DCC I don't care.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

People grumble because they have experienced change, and the change was for the worse. In my recent experience PayPal, Gmail and eBay have all changed, and not for the better. The new Rails and Bachmann sites have also had a lot of criticism in these pages. If the site is/was poor, by all means improve it. People get apprehensive when they can't see anything wrong with what they've already got, and cannot readily see room for improvement, only the scope for making things worse unintentionally.

I think this is partly the issue - people can't see what the need for change is.

If you tried to keep putting 6 people in a mini, eventually it would break down. If we keep adding users, topics, post and images to the servers, eventually the software and the infrastructure will break.

The mini has changed completely, since the first incarnation - RMweb has to do the same to keep it from falling apart.

• Like 2

I'd better not go telling anyone what the additional features that will be added, step by step, after the changes are implemented.

I remember the belly-aching when I brought in the different post rating icons; three years later Facebook decided to bring in something similar. Talking of Facebook there's something that works quite well on there (groups) which will become an option on here with the capability to have micro-sites within the wider community - a development of the special interest concept so the site can become more about the specific interests of individuals. No? It'll never catch on so I may as well bin it before making it so.  :sungum:

The idea of groups sounds good, although I have a wide ranging interest in most aspects of railways (even increasingly those identikit cloned copper kettle thingies from Swindon although their insistence on naming everything after their posh mate's summer holiday homes still grates), being able to focus on core interests through some group structure would be useful on occasions.

You could even create a group with a retro look and feel for those who dislike change.  Nicely half-timbered with hot and cold running diptheria.

• Like 1

• Administrators

People grumble because they have experienced change, and the change was for the worse.

It's amazing how all things are perfect when first released and then are ONLY be made worse by any changes. Sometimes change is required to make things better for other people than the ones moaning - we used to use tables to lay out web pages but doing this makes life harder for those using mobile connections or software to assist those with eyesight issues. Changing from this is a pain for people laying out pages as they need a whole new skillset, but if it benefits others, is the change bad?

Anyway, people grumble because they like grumbling. If you haven't spotted that then you aren't reading enough of RMweb...

• RMweb Premium

It is like having a favourite comfy chair and then being told that you have to change it for a new one. You know it will fall apart eventually and need swapping for a new one but you don't see anything drastically wrong with the old one and you would much rather keep it a bit longer.

Soon you get to like the new one and that gets to be your favourite comfy chair but the initial shock of hearing that the old one had to go isn't ever easy to deal with.

As long as I can still just look at something like the present "view new content" and we have a decent search facility I will soon get used to it.

• Like 3