Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

Barnbow East, 

Barry That name could only come from you.

A request from me is to add a cat somewhere to the layout and call it Polo, My Mrs`s cat was from there

Edited by SGJ
  • Like 2

Stop the bus! Shock, horror, probe! Baz starts on a layout! (WIth a lot of help from LNER4479 and others)

People who know me know that while I may have started layouts I have always had an excuse not to finish it. I have helped people with their layouts from Club layouts to individuals own and group layouts. Well, 4 years after having a loft conversion undertaken and with a realisation that tempus is fugiting a conversation with the owner of Grantham and Shap (who is now available for layout design commissions) who produced a draft plan to fit the available space. It can't be fastened to the walls of the room so must be free standing but not exhibitable.

A very enjoyable day at Baz towers and delighted to be able to assist the master of the house make a start on his own layout. Basically, just kept going until we ran out of wood! I'm promised a more extensive supply of wood for the next visit...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No problemo Simon!

Why Barnbow East?

Well I worked at RO Barnbow and then Vickers Defence Systems Barnbow in Crossgates in Leeds. They are now flattening what was the largest single span factory in Europe,,, metal in one end.. Challenger 1, CRARRV and Challenger 2 vehicles out of the other end. A very sad time! So ..new layout.. need a name and location and...

As it happens the works did, at one time , have its own railway sidings linked into the works from the ex LNER line from Crossgates  to York.

In my mind the recognition of the "bottle neck" northwards out of Leeds City (around Marsh Lane) an opportunity arose which allowed a route through Hunslet into a new station next to Barnbow (which was a very large shell filling factory in World War 1) to meet the needs of a growing City of Leeds. 

Because of its location the Station see London Midland as well as North eastern trains. You may see the odd Duchess / Princess as well as A1s/A3s and the larger secondary locos including Rebuilt Scots, Jubilees, B16s etc,

As time progresses dmus can be introduced (some of us have actually built an MTK Trans Pennine Unit) as well as suitable mainline diesel power...

The area around Barnbow had a lot of coal mines (and boy did they find a lot of these "bottle" mines when building the new shed at VDS Barnbow. So a small colliery has been included. It is reached via suitable incline - not a problem as I have some supper power locos available either my own or if I can borrow some of the Cwmafon industrials.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78572-cwmafon/&do=findComment&comment=1223600

So the layout has a lot of potential, just got to build it!

Some other matters - for speed it will use Peco Code 75 track.

Stock makes use of DG couplings for locos and wagons with DGs at the end of coaching rakes... floor mounted Kaydees for coaches inside the rake. 

Do I need any more stock? No!  

look out for the next update....

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 8

One concern that I could think of is the radiators that could have an effect on something like unwanted expansion.

Noted - and I shared your concern as part of the planning.

What might not be immediately apparent is that the sloping of the loft roof leaves little vertical room at the eaves so the layout will actually encroach no near than 12 inches from those walls, thus leaving plenty of space for the warm air from the radiators to circulate. The battens on the ground are there for bracing against the skirting boards; the legs will duly sprout up 12inches in-board.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One concern that I could think of is the radiators that could have an effect on something like unwanted expansion.

Speaking as somebody who has radiators under his layout, I can safely say that in the 40 years of layouts in my front bedroom, only child, amazing parents! living in the family home, single!! Lord and Lady, I sound like a serial killer!!! I have never had expansion problems.

Trackwork is a combination of Peco, 100 and 75, SMP and handbuilt.

The problem that can occur, is the 'dry' central heating heat can dry stuff out. Scenery and card constructed buildings. I am 'Old School'. Paper Mache, plaster and old style glue!!

The only expansion that has been a problem is when the ambient temperature gets really high like the summer just gone!!

That's what trackpins are for!!!

Having followed your work for some time, stretching back to Cwm Afon, I'mm looking forward to this thread.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The radiators should be away from the layout. Even this summer, by making use of both Velux widows (including their vents) in the room it has stayed reasonably cool. And, in winter, the insulation works well so the radiators are only on low.

Just organising more baseboard (wood) supplies...next layout building session will be notified!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With the way the layout is fitting into the room a ladder fiddle yard will replace the original traverser design...starting to get really excited about the layout...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good. Excellent plan. It has a hint of C J Freezer about it but seems to add much more operating potential than his roundy-roundy or dumb-bell schemes did.

Might I suggest that a trap point is needed where the fiddle yard line joins the main line on the lifting section? So you'd have 4 turnouts on there, and a few inches of dead siding.

• RMweb Premium

Thank LNER4479 for that it is all his own work! I am sure that you are right and we can include a trap point when we commence track laying.

I have , in my minds eye a Peak slowly wending its way across the station throat with a rake of Mk1s  snaking along behind it!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spoons

I think the colliery headshunt will be big enough as the line to the colliery is quite steep.

Might be its a lift up rather than removable section..we will see!

Baz

• Like 2

What are the dimensions of the plan? I'm assuming each square (not the tiddly ones) is a foot?

Have you given much consideration to style of scenery yet - are we oop norf among satanic mills (or even glowering moorlands) or is this more Nottingham coalfields country?

Just studying the colliery layout and thinking this will be fun to operate - I see three reversals of direction to get wagons out from under the screens onto the mainline.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good. Excellent plan. It has a hint of C J Freezer about it but seems to add much more operating potential than his roundy-roundy or dumb-bell schemes did.

Might I suggest that a trap point is needed where the fiddle yard line joins the main line on the lifting section? So you'd have 4 turnouts on there, and a few inches of dead siding.

Yes, you should definitely have a trap there, probably full pointwork making a crossover with the main line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More wood ordered.. 9mm ply and a sheet of 12mm ply - cheaper to buy a sheet of 12mm ply than buying a half sheet(!)

Next work day organised.... now just to make some more space in the loft!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today (I had nearly forgotten to) I have ordered some track as we will need to start laying this in the lead into the hidden sidings. Should be here OK for our next layout building session.

Baz

• Like 4