Urban Unloading Platform

I started a small static diorama on wednesday which will sit on my desk when I'm at uni and unable to play trains (not that it may last long) and also as a first try at scratch building and doing detail work. This is going to be put together rather quickly and cheaply as well, budget being ~£10

Progress has been slow but consistent and I've got a good idea of where I want it to progress and here is the current build log.

post-34351-0-88374500-1536337078_thumb.jpg

Baseboard, made from a random bit of wood (MDF probably) with a cardboard sides

post-34351-0-81825900-1536337243_thumb.jpg

Making up the platform, its just breakfast cereal boxes as thats what I have found around the house

post-34351-0-09755600-1536337443_thumb.jpg

Jumping forward a bit, a length of peco streamline track had been found and cut to length and placed, the wall is breakfast card with metcalfe building paper placed in front, the roof is going to be metcalfe roof card but that might change, I am liking the idea of a second floor . The buffer is a shortened Hornby buffer 

post-34351-0-17485200-1536337496_thumb.jpg

First run at ballasting complete and door placement mocked up,the right doors are going to be open with a small view inside I still need to reprint the canopy as I made it too short before I can make it.

I've purchased some warm white LEDs (£1.29) which I want to place underneath the canopy and inside the factory to provide a bit of atmosphere to the build 

Things to do:

Grass on any remaining visable wood,

decide what to do for the exit, I'm thinking of a tunnel portal but it might look out of place

find a backscene for the gap to the left of the platform and the right wall 

weathering, I'll think about this when it comes to it

• Like 4

Interesting, I like the idea! A couple of suggestions; for the "exit", either another warehouse wall with an archway under it (like in this Metcalfe kit), or a plate girder foot/road bridge might work well. I also wonder if buying a short-chain battery-powered white christmas light set might work (e.g. this), as it gives you many more lamps and saves effort. You might have to wait until November to find them in shops though! I look forward to watching this develop.

Interesting, I like the idea! A couple of suggestions; for the "exit", either another warehouse wall with an archway under it (like in this Metcalfe kit), or a plate girder foot/road bridge might work well. I also wonder if buying a short-chain battery-powered white christmas light set might work (e.g. this), as it gives you many more lamps and saves effort. You might have to wait until November to find them in shops though! I look forward to watching this develop.

I like your idea of using christmas lights for the lighting, I'll probably end up using some but as I've all ready ordered some LEDs I'll give hand wiring my own a go. Also I have now settled on a metal bridge over the top as the exit

I've done a bit more which is worthwhile of an update, grass has been laid (perhaps too early I'm thinking now), the doors fitted and an image for inside incorrectly printed out. 

Both of the ends have been decided what they're going to be, the left is a railway bridge and the right is a factory wall with a window. I still need to decide how to do the right wall roof or do I just paint the sky above and forgo a roof there, and do the roof over the main building.

post-34351-0-14485900-1536439533_thumb.jpg

post-34351-0-97896800-1536440065_thumb.jpg

I think buying a scanescenes set might be a worthwhile investment as the canopy doesn't look right, it might be the angle also I need to work out what to put in the gap left by the platform

• Like 2

Progress has been good, the bridge is semi assembled waiting some black paint for the portal which I'll be getting tomorrow. I still don't know what to do with the backscene, it may remain white or I might try some watercolours on it, and paint a sunset/rise. 

post-34351-0-93817200-1536522741_thumb.jpg

post-34351-0-12046900-1536523459_thumb.jpg

I'm considering trying drybrushing to a wagon just to dirty them up a bit more and then maybe onto the scenics

• Like 3