RevolutioN Announeces N Gauge IPA Wagons

MGR Hooper!

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/heres-to-an-ipa-with-revolution/

Revolution Trains is offering the family of STVA twin- and quad- wagon single deck car carriers as its next modern wagon in N.

92010-Northampton-Trevor-Plackett-1024x5

92010 with Garston-Dagenham car train comprising various IPA wagons at Northampton. Courtesy Trevor Plackett.

These wagons are in use with STVA and are used for new vehicle transportation between factories, car terminals and sea ports.

CAD work is already underway on the first variant, with others due for completion soon.

IPA-1-1024x303.jpg

Revolution is offering three distinct variants – the open twin-wagons, the open twins fitted with side stakes, and twin and quad sets with canvas side covers and roofs.

IPA-A-flat-1024x50.jpg

IPA-A flat twin. STVA red livery.

IPA-A-1.jpg

IPA-A loaded with vans. We believe our model will go well with vehicle models from manufacturers such as Oxford Diecast. Photo courtesy Martyn Read.

IPA-A-stakes-1024x113.jpg

STVA flat twin with stakes. STVA livery.

These vehicles often run in mixed rakes, with all three types present in the same train.

IPA-B-twin-1024x137.jpg

IPA-B covered twin with side panels. STVA livery.

IPA-B-quad-1024x69.jpg

IPA-B covered quad set with side panels. The majority of the covered wagons run in sets of four, which comprise pairs of twins permanently coupled.

IPA-B-2.jpg

IPA-B quad set. Photo courtesy Martyn Read.

In July Revolution Trains was invited to Eastleigh to photograph and measure these wagons, and we would like to extend our gratitude to both STVA and Arlington Fleet Services.

8BED9A9C-08C7-49F0-A6E1-A2FBE270F0E7-102

Amazingly, these wagons were built in the 1950s and 1960s for use in France as single units; however during the 1990s they were reconfigured as twins, cut down to suit the British loading gauge and brought to the UK for service where they remain.

0B86AA38-FBEA-4BD0-A2A8-685B0FAB13B2-102

Builder’s plate showing wagon dates from 1960.

STVA have also provided numerous drawings and technical data to ensure our model is up to our usual standards of finesse and detail.

008E9B8F-5C8F-4F86-8F8B-1C8EFD8A1176-102

IPA-7-1024x361.jpg

The deck will largely be metal to ensure good track-holding and performance.

IPA-4-1024x618.jpgIPA-5-1024x222.jpg

We are expecting to open the order book for these models soon, with delivery Q3/4 2019.

As ever, we can only proceed beyond the CAD stages if enough people pre-order, but with a dearth of car transporter models available to those depicting present day operation, and yet automotive traffic being such an important traffic, we hope these models will be popular.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 4

Interesting. I have to confess I haven't really got a use for the wagons themselves... but it RevolutioN were to also supply bags of suitable loads for them that could be ordered as an accesory in their own right it would be very interesting for other projects.

These wagons are used on the Portbury - Mossend. I found a photo on Flickr with the train with a Dutch 37 on the front so must be around that time or earlier, would that pass Weaver? The train swaps the diesel for a 90 at Warrington

I was rather pleased with these, allows a key train on the layout my mate and I have just started planning to be modeled (the aforementioned 6V51 and 6X52 to and from Portbury)

Jo

These wagons first arrived in the UK just before the planned opening of the Channel Tunnel, back in 1992 or 1993. At that point, they still carried the grey version of STVA's livery. The initial traffic they were used on were block trains of Rover-Group vehicles from Longbridge/Bordesley/Cowley to northern Italy (Lonato being one destination). Though the trains were 'block' ones, several types of wagon were used- Autic and STVA double deck ones, Cartic-4s, and a couple of variants on the single-deck theme. The single-deck portion conveyed Land Rover products; Discoveries, Range-Rovers and Defenders. Many of the latter were for various Italian Government agencies, and were delivered lettered up; they included police, carabineri, Forest Service, Fire Service Customs, and the much-dreaded 'Guardia di Financia' (think 'armed VAT inspector'). The double-deck portion was mainly Minis, but with some larger Rover saloons. Sadly, the collapse of the Rover Group meant that no single part was large enough to justify its own train.

• Like 1

I've seen all 3 variants together on 6X52 Portbury - Mossend (Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat vans, Honda cars) and 6X44 Dagenham - Didcot (forward on 6X65 to Mossend) (Ford).

The flats with and without stakes seem to be interchangeable (majority seem to be without) and carry high top vans etc, the covered ones I've seen pictures of both low roof vans and various types of cars.

This shot of X65 on Flicker shows all 3 types, along with some higher decked flats and double deckers too

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gridchaser/36050957705/in/photolist-WjzUvY-UNUZYu-UZbn2J-WnQDK6-WVGzJi-T9JEQD-Uamyzv-SHUHup-JVqCk6-VZcxYb-228WN7t-226f5mY-226f49Y-226f6sW-VoMeyF-PjYigJ-Ntc2FX-KLdJs6-JF4iRp-JThjL9-HfXhCS-KBpTSy-HwKugr-QQNQY9-PQm83X-Da1Skk-A5Fp1C-vfCk93-udjZTS-ua1j9g-AdiWMu-skSmif-H8bdHM-QQNNnC-EhVYZp-DMGGTg-EARCRe-Kp2c31-AYWE4E-BcJ3f1-z9MnvC-uEe6aL-R4WfDg-QTtcza-R4WcJP-ut4sPe-usW7HB-tYApZd-s8qHQP-t6XpNN

Now, if Oxford diecast could follow their Transit varieties up with a Fiat Ducato/ Peugeot / Citroen equivalent, that'd be the Portbury train loaded too! It'd also mean DB fitter's vans could be modelled to on all these TMD layouts.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

Further thoughts re: 'reasonably priced loads'... I think KATO used to do a 6-pack of unpainted Japanese cars (1:150 scale) which were a bundle of late 90s / early 00s prototypes. I wonder if these are still available for those happy to paint their own. Here it is on an American supplier's site: https://www.hobbylinc.com/kato-1990s-toyota-automobile-set-pkg6-n-scale-model-railroad-vehicle-23505

Edited by Will J
  • Like 1

Definately will be ordering as these have been on the would like list for a while so thank you ever so much. 

As for the can all 3 run on the same service I have attached a pic I took of 6L48 passing Rugby 07 June 2018 and you can just about see the 3 different variants being proposed at the front (Stakes / No Stakes / Hooded).

post-27166-0-41517700-1536651149_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Definately will be ordering as these have been on the would like list for a while so thank you ever so much. 

As for the can all 3 run on the same service I have attached a pic I took of 6L48 passing Rugby 07 June 2018 and you can just about see the 3 different variants being proposed at the front (Stakes / No Stakes / Hooded).

The second vehicle looks as though it is one of the 4-wagon sets converted from redundant ferry vans as shown on here:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IFA-flats/IFA-G-STVA-4-unit-vehicle/

Thanks Revolution i have been trying to look for the code of these wagons while looking at videos online now i have found the answer.

I know this is being produce for N gauge but hopefully at some stage you may look that producing a OO gauge version. 

Samuel.

Would all variants run in the same train?

Yes - be aware the staked and roofed variants are later, mid 00s conversions though, if you're modelling the 90s/very early 00s you want all grey flat ones.

From my photo's my **guesstimate** is that the roofed ones may have been converted (slowly!) from 2005 onwards, the staked ones were I think altered to support side sheets from 2007 on - but the sheeting doesn't appear to have been fitted to all wagons, and was removed within a couple of years from the ones that did have it (this one in 2008 shows the side sheets, the sheeting was gone from this specific wagon by 2010 leaving just the stakes. 

IPA_43874333068-2_Stratford_131108a-XL.j

The second vehicle looks as though it is one of the 4-wagon sets converted from redundant ferry vans as shown on here:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IFA-flats/IFA-G-STVA-4-unit-vehicle/

Blowing it up, I think it might be one of the Multifrets with decks.

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IFA-flats/IFA-European-registered/i-2JC2W5n/A

That train is a *really* good example of all the single deck IPAs used together though.

I don't know if Ben and Mike have seen this livery variation, think it's probably a one off

attachicon.gifIMG_3757-66120-6O42.jpg

6O42 Halewood - Southampton via Bristol, Bath and Westbury. 12/5/2012

Jo

That's cool - presumably one of the early grey liveried hooded conversions where only the frame has been repainted into the new red?

I'd had no idea some of them were so old though - that's really cool! The only one I've shot close-up has 1982 on it's plate!

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes - be aware the staked and roofed variants are later, mid 00s conversions though, if you're modelling the 90s/very early 00s you want all grey flat ones.

That's cool - presumably one of the early grey liveried hooded conversions where only the frame has been repainted into the new red?

I'd had no idea some of them were so old though - that's really cool! The only one I've shot close-up has 1982 on it's plate!

Thanks - that's a great shot of the staked ones with side sheets. Shouldn't be too tricky a conversion for those that want them!

And I was surprised how old some of these frames are - STVA call the wagons TD-452 because they have four axles and, apparently, the oldest of them date from 1952!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

They're the ones. I believe a number received roofs from the middle of the last decade (2005 or 2006 IIRC) and the majority of these pairs have been semi-permanently coupled together to form quad sets.

In this format they went from TD-452 to TDT-852. The UIC code for the covered versions is Laadffoos. See here: http://znkgroup.com/products/railway-transport/cars-transporting-wagon-laadffoos-construction-and-upgrade-wagons/

Cheers

Ben A.