13 replies to this topic

#1 john new

john new

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, Dorset

Posted 09 September 2018 - 13:45

Having seen the digital trial version I am considering a swap from my current auto-renewing paper copy subscription to digital - if yes would I be are classed as a new subscriber?

I am assuming not, but the follow up question then is, presumably no minimum on-going commitment other than continuing to permit the quarterly direct debits.

Edited by john new, 09 September 2018 - 13:46 .

#2 Cornholio

Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:40

My understanding is that the digital subscriptions are handled by Pocketmags rather than Warner's.

You pay your money to Pocketmags and your contract is with them. That effectively makes you a "new" subscriber. There are no loyalty rewards as such, other than the fact that longstanding subscribers will almost certainly be paying less per issue.

The only benefit you will lose is the discount to Warner's shows. But I'm pretty sure that if you speak to them on the phone they could sort something out. My experience of dealing with them has always been positive.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#3 john new

john new

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, Dorset

Posted 10 September 2018 - 13:46

Thanks Andrew.

Also. having just looked at the World of Railways website, it appears the digital version is only available for annual block purchases not rolling quarterly Direct Debit. Sorry, that makes it a no/no for me as blocks of nearly £45 rather than smaller one's of just under £13 do not help budget planning. You forget all about it then get stung at renewal time and find, if you then want to cancel, it is too late as you've paid up front for another year. (Been hit by that before in other instances)

Will possibly switch if the existing option for quarterly payments is introduced for digital too but for now I will be sticking with the paper edition. 

Edited by john new, 10 September 2018 - 13:51 .

#4 Phil Parker

Phil Parker

Garden Rail Editor / BRM Practical

• Administrators
  • 1,804 posts
  • LocationLeamington Spa

Posted 10 September 2018 - 14:21

Keep an eye open - there are regular deals offered on digi subs. Just be ready to jump when they pop up (and no, I don't know when they next one is). 

• Like x 1

#5 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 10 September 2018 - 14:30

There are several subscription options:

https://pocketmags.c...elling-magazine

You may get other options with an Android or Apple device, my monthly sub goes through itunes and is less than any of those at Pocketmags.

• Like x 1

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 September 2018 - 14:35

As suggested by Cornholio earlier, check the PocketMags website instead of Warner’s. The have one-off purchases, monthly subscription, 6-monthly, or annual rates.

https://pocketmags.c...elling-magazine

Currently it looks like 6-monthly is the cheapest ar 19.99 pounds.
  • Like x 1

#7 ELTEL

ELTEL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationWherever the Motorhome takes me

Posted 25 September 2018 - 16:34

I am also considering going digital.

A couple of questions

1. Once downloaded at home am I able to read it when I do not a Wi-Fi connection.when I’m away.

2. If I cease the subscription in the future do I get to keep the digital BRM copies I have purchased ?

Eltel

#8 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 25 September 2018 - 17:54

A couple of answers

1. Yes, in theory. In practice the Pocketmags app (iOS) is a bit flaky and doesn't work very well off-line. The separate BRM app seems ok.

2. Yes.

• Thanks x 1

#9 SteveCole

SteveCole

Publisher: Railways

• Moderators
  • 989 posts
  • LocationBourne, Lincolnshire

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:32

Here's a cracking offer if you're considering going digital:

https://pocketmags.c...ffer/oct18eshot

#10 Howard Smith

Howard Smith

Multi-media Editor

• Moderators
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBourne, Lincolnshire

Posted 26 September 2018 - 14:21

...great value for money considering all the extras you get...

#11 ruggedpeak

ruggedpeak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 15:14

2. If I cease the subscription in the future do I get to keep the digital BRM copies I have purchased ?

Eltel

You will have the files but if I've understood it correctly to be able to read those files you need proprietary software. Thus you are reliant on Pocketmags or Warners updating this software indefinitely. There is no guarantee about this. Pocketmags T&C's make clear they can stop their service at any time without compensation. If you want to be sure of having access in 5 or 10 or 20 years time then paper is still the only way to guarantee they can be read.

• Thanks x 1

#12 Lacathedrale

Lacathedrale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:54

I don't suppose there are any offers going around at the moment? I missed the one listed above!

#13 beejack

beejack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationClevedon (Hometown: Retford)

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:16

Pocket mags are offering 6 months for £19.99 and £44.99 for 12 months, but if you have the Windows 10  BRM app you can get a 6 month sub (6 issues) for £20.08 and 12 months (13 issues) for £34.79 that's roughly £2.68 an issue for the annual subscription.   

The November issue is also available on the windows app for £3.49, a 50p saving over pocket mags!

I've just bought the November issue on the windows app and can also see it on the ipad with both the pocket mags app and the BRM app!

Edited by beejack, 07 October 2018 - 12:20 .

#14 dhjgreen

dhjgreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationGtr Manchester

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:27

If you can wait, I took the offer earlier this year of a rolling 1 month at £1.99

Edited by dhjgreen, 07 October 2018 - 12:38 .