Modern Outline Kits Class 4F

Hull Paragon

I changed the vertical handrails after looking at them and thinking that they just didn't look/feel right. I must measure the diameter of a handrail and the gap between the handrail and the side when I am next on the MHR.

I finally attacked the cab roof. There are only four pieces but they took a full morning to sort out.

post-32699-0-93652500-1542130165.jpg

The small extension sits under the main roof with a vertical section. The vertical section is pre-shaped and has four tabs which locate into the extension. That's easy enough! You can see the tabs on the right side piece. The vertical section is soldered onto the underside of the main roof but there is no guide to locate it. I chose to solder a small piece of N/S under the roof as a guide and solder the section to that first. The whole thing has to be centered properly which is slightly more difficut to judge as the roof curves down but after some jiggling around, I managed to get it done.

post-32699-0-91727600-1542130180.jpg

post-32699-0-94110600-1542130193_thumb.jpg

I tend to use low melt solder in places where there is detail like rivets in close proximity as it is easier to remove with a steel brush....where a file wouldn't be suitable.....the assembly above still needs a little bit of tidying up.

Finally, a rain strip needs to be attached to the top of the roof. It sits just by the edge alongside a slightly raised portion. The best way to do it is to tack it at the flat center area, and then mould it to shape and solder it as you go along. The location line on the rooftop is shown here.

post-32699-0-57203500-1542130203.jpg

Here is the completed strip bent to shape.

post-32699-0-19030000-1542130221.jpg

The astute may ask why it is separate from the main assembly........as I tried to get everything soldered to the tender, I noticed a slight misalignment and in trying to unsolder the sub-assembly I managed to end up back at square one with the three pieces. I had to start again which is why it took all morning!! I intend to solder the roof on tomorrow and I'll refix the rain strip then. At least this time it is already bent to shape and will be so  much easier to solder

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 7

Looks like one of those jobs where failing to grow a third arm is a disadvantage. we all have moments like that. Well done for persevering and getting there in the end.

I've been eagerly following this thread and thoroughly enjoy seeing the build progress. However, I haven't commented before because I didn't feel I had anything to contribute, not because I'm not enjoying reading it or don't find it fascinating. I'm sure there are lots of others out there who feel the same. Please do keep on posting your progress, including the loco, in due course.

Dave.

Ray

The photos ARE small. Look at other threads and you'll see what I mean. File size isn't your problem unless you have a bandwidth problem. The site limit for an individual file is 32Mb! Please post BIG files so that we can see the detail! A 44Kb file won't take any enlargement without losing detail.

Cheers

Dave

This is how I feel when trying to read posts and see photos on WT.

Frustrating isn't it?

Yet I can't go on there for no fault of mine.

Looks like one of those jobs where failing to grow a third arm is a disadvantage. we all have moments like that. Well done for persevering and getting there in the end.

I've been eagerly following this thread and thoroughly enjoy seeing the build progress. However, I haven't commented before because I didn't feel I had anything to contribute, not because I'm not enjoying reading it or don't find it fascinating. I'm sure there are lots of others out there who feel the same. Please do keep on posting your progress, including the loco, in due course.

Dave.

Dave

Many thanks for your comments.

Ray

Dave.

Dave

Many thanks for your comments.

Ray

Well, for once I did as I said I would and finished the roof assembly by fitting it to the main body. I didn't want to solder it on the inside as it's difficult to clean up so I did it from the outside.

post-32699-0-09331900-1542211054.jpg

I decided to fit the rain strip last as it broke free the last time I tried to solder the roof on due to the poor fit and the need to put some pressure on to press fit the edges! This time was much easier.

post-32699-0-27762300-1542211063.jpg

I fitted the final bits (except two) and of course the very last one, a lamp iron, bent over as I soldered it and I had to remove it. This was much harder than it should have been. For some reason the solder wouln't melt and things got a bit heated. (Me as well!)  However it did come off and I cleaned it up and refitted it. I then gave it a wash and somehow I managed to break a set of steps off. I refixed it but the bottom step fell out as I did it.....at last though the time came when I could say 'It's finished!'.

The bits I left off are a set of doors to fit inside the coal space. I'm not quite sure of their exact position so I'll ask Dave at Reading next month. (I'll be picking up the boiler which I sent to him for rolling). The other piece is a fine strip of rivets. Again I am not quite sure what to do with it. The instructions say it is 'optional'. I would use it but the shape follows the rain strip and my photo archive are a bit short on overhead views and those I have don't show any rivets there.....however, there are some on the vertical piece behindd the roof which are not supplied.

So, after a coat of primer.......

post-32699-0-92591600-1542211075.jpg

post-32699-0-05241100-1542211084.jpg

post-32699-0-26112300-1542211093.jpg

This is the first 7mm tender I have built to completion (as soon as I fill the hand rail knob holes that I have just realised I've forgotten) and I am absolutely thrilled with it. Apart from a few pauses for thought where I actually did some modelling, and as much as I'd like to claim that the final finish is all down to me, it is clear that the real success is the design of the kit. How they have managed to work out all the tab positions and etch out all the relevant slots in the exact positions is beyond me.

I have really enjoyed this kit so far and I am looking forward to starting on the chassis.

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 6

This is how I feel when trying to read posts and see photos on WT.

Frustrating isn't it?

Yet I can't go on there for no fault of mine.

I'm not sure what you mean Jeff, but I have increased the photo size and as of today, the pixel count. When I look at an image on the thread it looks fine. If I use the 'Save As' function and save it to the desktop, I get a picture that I can blow up to fit my screen without pixellation. I'm not sure why this isn't working for some viewers but I'm not sure what else I can do.

Ray

This time I feel that I can comment - well done on a good, clean, accurate build.  The photos of the tender in primer show how well you have done especially in that the parts have been fitted without gaps,  You have set yourself a tough act to follow with the locomotive.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

Ray,

Looking very nice in primer and, as Western Star says, a very neat construction, aided no doubt by it being a well produced kit in the first place. As a 4 mm modeller, I'm quite envious of these superb 7 mm products.

I notice that there are three sets of slots visible inside the bunker. I imagine these are intended for the internal stiffening ribs. Have you omitted these because you intend a full coal load and they won't be visible on the finished model or are they not included in the kit?

Dave.

This time I feel that I can comment - well done on a good, clean, accurate build.  The photos of the tender in primer show how well you have done especially in that the parts have been fitted without gaps,  You have set yourself a tought act to follow with the locomotive.

regards, Graham

Graham

That's very complimentary and I thank you. I hope the loco turns out as well.

Ray

Ray,

Looking very nice in primer and, as Western Star says, a very neat construction, aided no doubt by it being a well produced kit in the first place. As a 4 mm modeller, I'm quite envious of these superb 7 mm products.

I notice that there are three sets of slots visible inside the bunker. I imagine these are intended for the internal stiffening ribs. Have you omitted these because you intend a full coal load and they won't be visible on the finished model or are they not included in the kit?

Dave.

Aided quite a lot by the design of the kit Dave! It's a work of art.........

The internal slots have been left as you quite rightly say. The instructions don't mention them, there doesn't appear to be any ribs on the tender fret and so far, apart from low angle coal filled tenders, I have yet to see the inside of a tender let alone an empty one. Oddly enough, the ACME Class 4 kit does show them. If I find any, I'll fit them so I can I did it,but in the end, the coal will cover the slots.

Ray

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ray

First of all I must commend you on your build so far it's looking lovely.

The missing ribs are parts no 130 x 4 off and parts no 131 x 2 off. These parts are hidden on the sheet 2 of 2 etch the smaller sheet. They are quite prominent when fitted but can easily be glued in place after. They are not in the instructions as you point out the reason I believe is that they may have been a later addition to the kit I'm sure I have read a comment on one of the early builds of this kit on one of the forums.

I hope you find the attached pictures useful.

I'm sorry to butt in on your thread but keep up the good work.

If you stick a photo of the offending door on here I will try to steer you in the right direction if I can as I have the book on the Ivatts which has been a great help to me so far.

Mark J

post-6224-0-68491400-1542304733_thumb.jpg

post-6224-0-82658300-1542304747_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Ray,

Another one quietly watching and enjoying the build from the wings. - Mine has arrived and been stashed away.

Regarding the photo size like you I reduce mine to around 1024 pixels which makes for a small file size but will normal fill the window on a posting.

Regards Rob

Hello Ray,

Another one quietly watching and enjoying the build from the wings. - Mine has arrived and been stashed away.

Regarding the photo size like you I reduce mine to around 1024 pixels which makes for a small file size but will normal fill the window on a posting.

Regards Rob

Rob

Good luck when you get round to starting the kit....you will be impressed.

I'll persevere with the pictures as I would like everyone to get the best out of the thread so thanks for the tip.

Ray

Hello Ray

First of all I must commend you on your build so far it's looking lovely.

The missing ribs are parts no 130 x 4 off and parts no 131 x 2 off. These parts are hidden on the sheet 2 of 2 etch the smaller sheet. They are quite prominent when fitted but can easily be glued in place after. They are not in the instructions as you point out the reason I believe is that they may have been a later addition to the kit I'm sure I have read a comment on one of the early builds of this kit on one of the forums.

I hope you find the attached pictures useful.

I'm sorry to butt in on your thread but keep up the good work.

If you stick a photo of the offending door on here I will try to steer you in the right direction if I can as I have the book on the Ivatts which has been a great help to me so far.

Mark J

Mark

Please butt in whenever you like! Funnily enough I was looking at the oddbits and pieces left on the fret and I looked at the parts you have highlighted wondering what they were for and concluding (wrongly as it turns out) that they must have been associated with the tablet mechanism.

Thanks very much for the information. I'll fit them so that the model is finished off properly as it is clear that even with coal in the bunker, the ribs are quite prominent.

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon

Just a few notes on the tender build before I move on.

The instructions have quite a few errors. There is nothing that should catch an experienced builder out but sometimes you need to work things out before proceeding. There is nothing relating to the tender bunker strengthening ribs, nor is there anything on glazing. The fret does contain the ribs (see the posts above) and there are some frames included for the cab windows......just without guidance.

Keep an eye out for one small part of the etch that is for the loco. It is clearly marked but quite small so don't throw it away!

post-32699-0-67436400-1542379939_thumb.jpg

The ribs and glazing can wait for now.......so borrowing a line from Basil Fawlty, the hard work is done........now comes the difficult bit!

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a few notes on the tender build before I move on.

The instructions have quite a few errors. There is nothing that should catch an experienced builder out but sometimes you need to work things out before proceeding. There is nothing relating to the tender bunker strengthening ribs, nor is there anything on glazing. The fret does contain the ribs (see the posts above) and there are some frames included for the cab windows......just without guidance.

Keep an eye out for one small part of the etch that is for the loco. It is clearly marked but quite small so don't throw it away!

attachicon.gifLoco Parts!.jpg

The ribs and glazing can wait for now.......so borrowing a line from Basil Fawlty, the hard work is done........now comes the difficult bit!

Ray

Ray all Dave's kits tend to be like this unfortunately. A lot of additions to the kits are added as needed but not always included in the instructions. I think the instructions are better than many though.

The worst kit for instructions has to be his 8f's now no longer part of the range. I think it was his first 0-gauge kit as the instructions are just A4 pages of text with very little detail but it still builds into an amazing model and still holds it's own against any other 8f kit.

All kits need a good level of knowledge of the prototype as there are so many minor variations even when things were meant to be standard.

It's the same with wagons you often got the same wagon built by many different builders all with subtle differences although they were built to the same drawings.

Are you going to start the loco now ?

Watch when you do the firebox wrapper if you do there should be lines marked on the etch fret when you do the bends but Dave has missed them off on my kits.