Somewhere in Shropshire

post-4969-0-56960200-1537115248_thumb.jpeg

Here we go then. A new project. Space and time issues mean that a shelf project is the way forward and so, inspired by the Lilleshall system that was so close to where I live, and the excellent Juniper Hill (a Northamptonshire-based ironstone micro) here is those initial baby steps.

The baseboard is an 80cm by 23cm floating shelf from the orange DIY shop. It's a rather fetching shade of blue, close to matching the colour scheme in my office, and I've bought Daler board of a similar shade to create a fascia.

As I'm a kit builder, rather than a layout builder, I really enjoy building wagon kits. Therefore I've decided to head down the inglenook route (a 3-2-2 variety) using one point and a fiddle stick.

So far, apart from the board and the point, everything has been made from bits I'd got lying around, a Wills goods store for one, with other builds scratch built from left overs.

I've got a Barclay, weathered expertly by Grimy Times, whilst a blue Peckett is on order to join the fleet too.

I've got a few unresolved issues currently. Firstly, the name. It's based around the Newport/Lilleshall area of Shropshire so I might look what street names jump out. Secondly, as Rocks by Rails is something of an inspiration, I'm debating whether it should be a preserved line along similar, ahem, lines? Or whether it should be set back in the day. I'm leaning towards present day Heritage personally, with a small platform in front of the good store, allowing brake van rides

So, that's it so far. Lots to do. Lots to decide. And, hopefully, lots of fun ahead, too.

• Like 10

2F94C694-F9EE-4CB0-A269-84647C601D08.jpeg

Here we go then. A new project. Space and time issues mean that a shelf project is the way forward and so, inspired by the Lilleshall system that was so close to where I live, and the excellent Juniper Hill (a Northamptonshire-based ironstone micro) here is those initial baby steps.

The baseboard is an 80cm by 23cm floating shelf from the orange DIY shop. It's a rather fetching shade of blue, close to matching the colour scheme in my office, and I've bought Daler board of a similar shade to create a fascia.

As I'm a kit builder, rather than a layout builder, I really enjoy building wagon kits. Therefore I've decided to head down the inglenook route (a 3-2-2 variety) using one point and a fiddle stick.

So far, apart from the board and the point, everything has been made from bits I'd got lying around, a Wills goods store for one, with other builds scratch built from left overs.

I've got a Barclay, weathered expertly by Grimy Times, whilst a blue Peckett is on order to join the fleet too.

I've got a few unresolved issues currently. Firstly, the name. It's based around the Newport/Lilleshall area of Shropshire so I might look what street names jump out. Secondly, as Rocks by Rails is something of an inspiration, I'm debating whether it should be a preserved line along similar, ahem, lines? Or whether it should be set back in the day. I'm leaning towards present day Heritage personally, with a small platform in front of the good store, allowing brake van rides

So, that's it so far. Lots to do. Lots to decide. And, hopefully, lots of fun ahead, too.

I really like the look of this layout, the setting adds plenty of depth and interest. Modelling an early time in preservation could allow you to use the small loading platform as most modern preserved lines have to have much more in the way of infrastructure and health and safety.

img_1973.jpg?w=636

I’ve been flush with motivation this weekend. So, I though it best to crack on whilst the going is good.

What you can see above is the combination of a photo on master-builder Chris Ford’s blog (where he used a Wills vari-girder kit to build a water tower and this photo on the 009adventure blog.

Everything you see is out of the bits box. The shed is scratchbuilt from mount board and plasticard, with masking tape giving a good roof felt texture. The water tower is the Wills girders, a spout from a cheap Peco water tower and the legs from an old Knightwing kit. The coaling staithes are much cut down Wills products. All have been painted with acrylics before being dry brushed to tone down and weather.

• Like 6

img_1976.jpg?w=636

Here’s the track plan. A simple 3-2-2 inglenook, with the line with the brake and 5-plank being the 3 wagon road. Currently undecided as to whether I want the goods store behind the 3 road, or to build a wriggly tin shed there, with the doors to it from the back line.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

During the week I ballasted the track with sand. However, since doing that I’ve become unhappy with the straight lines the layout is full of.

I’m not much of an operator so I’m thinking of losing the back spur, turning things into a fork and curving the running lines.

Just enough to shuffle a couple of hoppers about.

• Like 1

I really like the look of this layout, the setting adds plenty of depth and interest. Modelling an early time in preservation could allow you to use the small loading platform as most modern preserved lines have to have much more in the way of infrastructure and health and safety.

Hello Luke. Thanks for your comment. I think early preservation would be best, things could be a little bit more ‘anything goes.’ In unsure yet as to what i’ll decide. I’ve got for and againsts on both counts!

Does anyone else start a build and then lose mojo? I’m currently building - and really enjoying - a Parkside 16 tonner but layout enthusiasm is really low.

Hi Chris, I know that feeling all too well. I was planning on building an 09 layout a couple of months a go, built the loco then never did the layout. I think you've just got to persevere because once the initial jobs are down and you get some basic scenery down the layout transforms and becomes a lot more motivating.

Does anyone else start a build and then lose mojo? I’m currently building - and really enjoying - a Parkside 16 tonner but layout enthusiasm is really low.

Better than me - I never start! 1 layout in 25 years so far. I keep looking here and hopefully one day the inspiration will become reality! I have built stock but mostly sold it after completion due to a change in direction.

Perhaps you need to build a very small static diorama, perhaps of just a siding, that you can display your latest wagons on, adding a few scenic bits. As it will be small then it will quickly become finished and also allow experimentation of techniques.

Stu

Glad it's not just me. I swing between 7/8th scale in the garden and trying to finish a 4mm layout.  The loss of mojo and the swing back to 4mm came suddenly this year, it usually coincides with dark nights.  I think there is substance in the comment above about getting track down so you start to see a picture.

I really hope I get Pengwith "finished".

Thanks for the comments folks. The more I look at the picture the more I don’t like the straight lines. I think a simple fork - particularly as I’m not a big operator - modelled on a slight bend will be the way forward.

The 16 tonner is awaiting the paint shop, whilst another iron ore wagon kit has arrived too!

Hi Chris I’m like you I love kit building and wagons in general but when I start a layout I tend to loose a little bit interest but I’m currently building a refuelling diesel depot plank and as Luke has said I’m persevering as I want to see the finished layout.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments folks. The more I look at the picture the more I don’t like the straight lines. I think a simple fork - particularly as I’m not a big operator - modelled on a slight bend will be the way forward.

The 16 tonner is awaiting the paint shop, whilst another iron ore wagon kit has arrived too!

I look forward to seeing this wagon!

Bit of painting done tonight. Wheels will be added tomorrow and will post a pic then.

Bit of painting done tonight. Wheels will be added tomorrow and will post a pic then.

img_2048.jpg?w=636

I have long wanted to give the Foden’s lorry I own a better paint job. On purchase - when the lorry was a light navy blue -  I had removed the factory lettering, but scuffed the paint whilst doing so. Yesterday I did something about it.

img_2049.jpg?w=636

It didn’t take much to strip the lorry down to it’s component parts. Three screws hold it all together.

After that came the painting. A nice shade of crimson (Humbrol 20) was applied. I should have primed it first though as the first coat didn’t take too well. Adding another coat made all the difference.

Once dry it was a case of bolting it back together to get the result below.

img_2113.jpg?w=636

A few areas to neaten up, a light wash to weather it and a coat of varnish to seal it and it should all be done. I’m much happier with the colour and am happy with the result of a simple bit of proper modelling.

• Like 2

Thanks Luke. Spent this evening watching Doctor Who are building another Iron Ore kit. Love these Parkside kits.

Might also have purchased an Oxford Rail 5-plank wagon from the Chasewater Railway shop today too!

Built up another Iron Ore wagon the other night, currently working up the enthusiasm to paint the undercarriage and then start work weathering the 2 iron and 1 16t wagons.

Have laid and ballasted track though!

post-4969-0-54199900-1539539604_thumb.jpeg

Today I’ve been landscaping. Lots of air-dry clay and this is where I’m at. The plan is a row of trees to the back left with the rest of the landscape being greenery. That is, aside from the front right where a building will act as a view block for the exit off screen.

• Like 1

Thanks Luke. Initially, emulsion tester pots.

Might be a slight fly in the ointment ahead... not sure the shelf works where it is currently planned to go. A 60cm shelf might end up being required instead, meaning a restart of the project.

Would also require a short y point, rather than the current point, as it is smaller and would free up a little save for the headshunt. A layout at 60cm would end up being all on display, with no hidden fiddle yard as I’d want to get as much scenic as possible.

We’ll see.