Road Transport Images

Atilla

• RMweb Premium

Received this earlier today - sad news.

Dear Jeremy

It is with great sadness that we write to inform you that Frank Waller, founder and mastermind of Road Transport Images, lost his battle with terminal cancer and passed away on 18th September 2018. 

Since the start of RTI Frank has greatly valued your continued support and custom. He was very proud of what he had achieved and it made his retirement an enormous amount of fun; it kept him going right until the end.

Any RTI orders and enquiries will not be processed until the future direction of the business has been determined. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Frank's family

Received the same email last night and whilst Frank was known to have suffered a spell of poor health, this wasn’t expected.

Frank’s achievements were generally understated but could never be overstated. Before he kicked things off nearly 20 years ago, the 4mm trucks available were a limited and pretty mixed bunch. The RTI range took things to a new level and encouraged the emergence of Oxford and Base into the market, which ironically cannibalised a chunk of the market RTI had created. Frank never did forgive the manufacturer who used more than one of his cabs as a master to produce their own version (badly!).

His career in the transport industry was the spur which created the range in his retirement and gave him the encyclopaedic knowledge which ensured the integrity of what became a vast catalogue of types, covering the 1030s to the 2000s. That range is a wonderful legacy which will hopefully continue in the future. Sadly the AEC MkV RTS cab I’d been discussing with him won’t be one he’ll see.

I’ll miss his presence at Warley and the few other shows which were graced with his presence, he was a warm and genial character and the model world will undoubtedly be much the poorer for his passing. Thoughts are with the family.

You can hit the road again now Frank, and may all your rest be in peace.

• Like 1

Very sad news.

I met Frank a few times, through my friend Bob Fridd. Frank came with me to a few rallies on my preserved RF, and I was always impressed by his wealth of knowledge.

My condolences to Franks family and close friends.

Les