• 51-100
    • 101-250
    • 251-500
    • 501-750
    • 751-1000
    • 1001-1500
    • >1500

Mmm...

I have on average five or more extra loco bodies for every loco (as many as a dozen bodies in some cases), all with different names/numbers so I can do quick identity changes.

They are smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to store, easier to handle, less likely to get damaged, less likely to be dropped, more likely to survive mishandling than the equivalent number of complete locos.

Not sure how to answer your poll, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mmm...

I have on average five or more extra loco bodies for every loco (as many as a dozen bodies in some cases), all with different names/numbers so I can do quick identity changes.

They are smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to store, easier to handle, less likely to get damaged, less likely to be dropped, more likely to survive mishandling than the equivalent number of complete locos.

Not sure how to answer your poll, though.

I’d class a body as a loco... it’s intent :-)

Same too for a kit still in its box, or a loco which some day will have a motor.

Though if it’s a knacker for spares and won’t ever run again under its own guise, and bits may be disposed of, maybe not.

Though my dad told me as a kid I could only write the locos number down as “spotted” if it still had its wheels under it. (I was writing down flame cut number panels cut from scrapped class 40’s in Swindon works at the time).

I’m less harsh with my daughter... when visiting preserved railways we examine numbers stamped on connecting rods... I let her consider those numbers as a “spot” too... she’s cleared quite a lot of bulleids that way, I even saw a very long ago extinct GWR prairie class that way.. connecting rods off 3150 are on GWR 6106... though if you’ve got packets of connecting rods in a drawer... they don’t count !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not sure this poll is much use to marketeers, the usual users of such information.  It takes no account of layout size or operation, which varies considerably.  If the information gained is that those of us with more disposable income have more locos in general, this is hardly news!

I have 9 locos currently, almost sufficient for the small but busy South Wales BLT my layout represents, 10 if you include spare bodies.  3 of these will be replaced by better versions when I acquire them, an 8750 with an old K's cab and an inferior chassis, a Limabach 94xx, and a Silurian era large prairie built by trilobites employed by Airfix back when the pound was still worth 60p.  These are enough to cover the needs of the WTT, and cover for locos that have to be withdrawn from service every 10 working days for 2 working days to have boiler washouts.  Any further purchases will be un-necessary, not that that will prevent them from taking place!

• Like 2

Mmm don't let the wife see this haha

34 00

10 or 11 N (just sat in there boxes don't think I'll ever do n gauge again)

And non in TT but that's a scale I'm really interested in and have plans in my head for that.

Have to admit to being a collector with layout aspirations . I believe about 120 Locos/units with no running line at present.

Prices have virtually brought an end to my continued collecting with only a handful of purchases earmarked now.

It has to something i really want now for me.

I have been selling the models i see as luxuries recently too.   

Relative to our forbears, we are loco-junkies.  I recently re-read the 1959 RM article "a Magnificent System", which describes a large, but uncluttered, layout featuring two double-track mainlines on a layout 40' long.

The locomotive stud was just 10 (kit-built) locomotives. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nearholmer is right of course; it really doesn't matter how many locos we have as long as there are enough to run the timetable, and even that doesn't matter if you don't run to a timetable.  So long as you are happy with what you've got and can afford it, everyone is happy (except perhaps Mrs Nearholmer).

• Like 2

Mine all work.

Hi Johnster,

To give context to my situation I'm about a year back to toy trains after about a twenty year lay off. The locos that don't work are either retired due to old age, short of maintenance due to storage or are still as kit / project status.

As for the bikes one is on SORN, one was ready for the road after building it but then split with the woman and so delayed, then delayed further from falling off the one that now needs repairing, the fourth is mid build. There is always next year.

I dread to think how many coaches and trucks need attention though !

Gibbo.